HTH are Cadets winning?

Ok wake up just like everything else...the narration will eventually be watered down...or does anyone remember how hard the books usually take shape during the Winter months...as is well known...beneath the narration the Corps is doing what it set out to...return to Drum Corps...the music is unbelievable and not to mention the drill...all that with East Coast Weather and limited ability to put the show together, and fewer kids attending camps...least we not forget that WEST Coast Corp Members usually get to move out much earlier than that of the Midwest and East Coast Corps...anyway...I am sure Hop will eventually removed excess narration...but there is nothing wrong with too much early in the season... as for the judges again return to musically what is going on...just because the narration takes away from a part of the entire show it should only account for GE otherwise there is little to argue...For O Holy Name Shall Always Be!!!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that almost every comment, even by those who like the show, asks for you to ignore, listen beyond, dismiss, or just plain accept the narration, says something. I would bet that even someone seeing drum corps for the very first time will be at the least distracted, if not annoyed, by the overdone jibberish. Do less of it, do it with quality of performance, and I will try to like it, because I like drum corps.

IS THERE ANYONE who has seen or heard this show that actually likes and prefers the narration?

Anyone?

Bueler?

Anyone?

Being completely honest - there is some narration (about 25% of it) that indeed do enjoy, and that I think enhances the show. There is a large chunk of it ( about 50%), that i dont mind, and that i think could be worked out to sound better. The remaining 25% (ex. 'emo' band kid, or 'we are human beings'), i think just needs to go.

SO, at the crux of all that, yes i do like SOME of the narration...

Depending on the use of voice it can be judged by GE judges, Ensemble judges, or even the percussion judge. It is silly to say voice is unjudged unless you have listened to judges tapes.

Why is it silly to say that? You yourself don't even know who it's judged by, unlike all other elements in a show.

Why is it silly to say that? You yourself don't even know who it's judged by, unlike all other elements in a show.

The point is that it is judged although it is ambiguous because there isn't a specific caption for it. The judges can't just ignore something. It's obvious it's being evaluated too because The Cadets have already made significant changes to it. They must be getting feedback.

Well, drumcat, despite what you may think, using narration/amps isn't the DEATH NELL for many fans. Are we once again forgetting that the active dcp community doesn't represent the drum corps audience as a whole?

And despite the narration, they're marching and playing a #### hard show. Sure, people may not like the narration aspect, but I haven't heard anybody say "yeah their hornline sucks, they stand still most of the show, and when they move their drill is dirty." Wrong. Every review I've read is "they're still having some problems working out the narration but HOLY CRAP THEIR HORNLINE IS AMAZING AND THEY ARE BOOKING IT ON THE FIELD."

Once again, I would never forget that you require a stupid caveat on everything that you disagree with, just because it comes from people on this board. Yes, the views I'm quoting are based on DCP, and they represent an infintecimally small percentage of the billions of fans out there, and they are never in any way significant if they disagree with your points.

Additionally, I did not say it was a death nell. I have, in prior posts, suggested that narration is not judged adequately. You can find evidence of that even in the Annapolis show, where overdriven audio was the norm, and was a distraction in quality through a vast majority of the show. Period. It's not debatable. Even if the thought is that the narration, as used, was the best narration in the world, the quality of sound and the poor use of equipment was entirely without a distinguishable disadvantage in points. As others have suggested, because of a lack of a clear judging category, the judging looks past the audio quality and focus on their caption.

So indeed, everyone who is writing a number down is looking past the narration. That's the shame in it. I don't disagree with your statements about the other captions. But very clearly, most (insert caveat) DCP'ers don't believe in the show concept. The Bluecoats are quite capable of using narration without overdriving the signal and they don't sound like they're announcing a Blue-Light Special at KMart. Yet if a dozen brass players were blatting and overblowing, they'd get killed in points and rightfully so.

Step off your high horse, and talk about the issue.

The Bluecoats are quite capable of using narration without overdriving the signal and they don't sound like they're announcing a Blue-Light Special at KMart.

I couldnt hear the bluecoats narration at annapolis (and i knew exactly what to listen for after watching their rehearsal the day before). In addition, their narration is supposed to have poor sound quality, since it fits the show concept coming out of a police megaphone. Still...i couldnt hear it and i was sitting on the 35 :blink:

we ran a poll a long while ago, and the choices were 1. hate narration 2. don't care one way or another 3. like narration..when it was all over, I believe that number 1 and number 2 added up to over 90% of the poll...if 90% of the people either don't like it, or don't care..why do it?

Cadet bashing is really getting old / this has been going on for three years straight.

Garfield was my favorite corps in the 80's...I SO much want to love their shows now...I just can't...and I'm not just bashing the Cadets. If Phantom or SCV had this kind of narration, you can bet that they'd be getting ripped apart just as much by the anti-narration crowd. I think a lot of the Cadet hating is just people that really want to like the Cadets, but they can't stand the direction they've went lately...

If you don't like it, great. I'm not too fond of strawberry ice cream. In fact, I think strawberry ice cream should be banned from public consumption. God knows, I might just accidentally end up buying some strawberry ice cream when everyone knows DCI fans across the nation should only eat vanilla ice cream, and we can't have that, now can we.

DOWN WITH STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM

not really a true comparison...you can not buy the strawberry ice cream...when you buy a dci ticket you get what corps are there...sure you can walk out on the ones you don't like, but that's pretty rude...

compare it more to..say...a cheese weenie at a barbecue...you HATE cheese weenies...you walk over to the grill, get your hot dog...put your favorite condiments on it...take a big bite....YUCKKKK....it's a cheese weenie...yer stuck with a mouthful of disgusting cheese weenie...you can either swallow it, or spit it out...

some of us are just wired to not like narration..it's how we are...some of you can separate the bits out of the show you like...some of us like to appreciate the show together as one entity, and we just can't do that for the whiny emo kid mumbling over the screaming horns...

Once again, I would never forget that you require a stupid caveat on everything that you disagree with, just because it comes from people on this board. Yes, the views I'm quoting are based on DCP, and they represent an infintecimally small percentage of the billions of fans out there, and they are never in any way significant if they disagree with your points.

Additionally, I did not say it was a death nell. I have, in prior posts, suggested that narration is not judged adequately. You can find evidence of that even in the Annapolis show, where overdriven audio was the norm, and was a distraction in quality through a vast majority of the show. Period. It's not debatable. Even if the thought is that the narration, as used, was the best narration in the world, the quality of sound and the poor use of equipment was entirely without a distinguishable disadvantage in points. As others have suggested, because of a lack of a clear judging category, the judging looks past the audio quality and focus on their caption.

So indeed, everyone who is writing a number down is looking past the narration. That's the shame in it. I don't disagree with your statements about the other captions. But very clearly, most (insert caveat) DCP'ers don't believe in the show concept. The Bluecoats are quite capable of using narration without overdriving the signal and they don't sound like they're announcing a Blue-Light Special at KMart. Yet if a dozen brass players were blatting and overblowing, they'd get killed in points and rightfully so.

Step off your high horse, and talk about the issue.

No, there's really no point in discussing it. You've made it abundantly clear time and time again that you have a chip on your shoulder against using electronics, amplification, and narration, and it seems to be your personal goal to make sure that everyone agrees with you, so you start endless threads to whip up more circular debates. Maybe you did only mean "dcp" when you said "how can most fans be as put off as they are, and still see the Cadets winning?" but that's not what you implied with that statement, sorry. It's not about applying caveats to opinions with which I disagree, it's just that making sweeping generalizations is never accurate.

If you want to talk about how narration should be judged, fine, that's a great discussion, but making claims like "most fans are put off" or "3/4 of drum corps fans hate narration" has no bearing on that debate, it's simply a rhetorical tactic used to assert some sort of moral superiority in this debate.

and we just can't do that for the whiny emo kid mumbling over the screaming horns...

If you have seen the show recently, you know that his inflection has changed vastly. Also, I don't recall a part, in any recording, where he is mumbling OVER screaming horns. Whenever the horn line has a screaming feature, no one is talking.