Oswego, IL

Madison Fans seem awfully quiet right now :P

well, I believe I mentioned that I couldn't help but be excited and happy for the kids in Pacific Crest. Just think about how THEY must feel right now? Must be quite awesome... and I'm sure they deserve to feel that way as well...

But I'm STILL not going to go into panic mode here...

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Would you like to point out to Mr. Hurd that sometimes working smarter > working harder??

From the "Undefeated" thread:

I think that was already pointed out in the appropriate thread .. and the rebuttal clarified my observations. Find another pot to stir :)

JUST SAY NO TO SLOTTING>>>>>>>

yeah...that's way beyond slotting - let's be positive here

1) It might be the motivation that Madison needs to really kick it into high gear

2) Congrats to Pac Crest and Colts for doing something they haven't done in years/ever - they must have put out some really good shows

I feel sorry for Madison. I don't want to see them fall out of the top 17, let alone the top 12. I still feel the Board should have left Sal and his staff alone. I feel losing Colin and their percussion staff has hurt, as well as losing Scott Boerma and his arrangements.

I hope they can prove all of the doubters wrong.

Congratulations to the Cavaliers! Still the corps to beat. Keep up the great work!

Very insightful. Thanks!

well thanks! ^OO^ I hope it was, and you weren't just messin with me,(but it's ok if you were... :P ) because it's hard to be in this position right now and watch a bunch of very talented performers having to work that hard to get to some "level of expectation" that has been created by a legacy before them.

You know, no one that was a Scout wants to see any version/year of the guys that put on the "variation" of that uniform (that always carries that name with it) and have a year where they didn't get everything out of being a Madison Scout that the guys that were in before them got out of it. It's part of the Scott Stewart legacy that not everyone agreed with, but became a hallmark of BEING a Madison Scout that happened regardless of whether the following directors were following a "Stewart-esque" philosophy or not. There's just a thing going on there that is one of those "if I gotta tell ya about it, you won't understand it" things.

Last year I was with Jeff Spanos in the Alumni project, and his work ethic and expectations of our performance may as well have been that we were competing in the Friday night show as opposed to just putting on a nostalgiac performance. His expectation of excellence is very high, but by the same token, he has an amazing way of instilling a sense of tremendous pride in you no matter what. If there was ever a guy who could be considered a strong candidate for "next great name in corps management" it would be Jeff. He was a "quintessential Madison Scout" for his era, and part of being a good Madison Scout is accepting defeat graciously and with respect for those who are beating you.

Then you get back to work and don't dwell on WHO is beating you, but what do you do to improve what you can and in essence, challenge yourself to be better and better.

I know that sounds cliche, but it's a cliche that has been the true philosphy up there in Madison for many years.

Not that this is happening, or happening to them, either, but you will never see a Madison Scout act cocky and snotty toward anyone they are currently leading or "beating" (if you will...), and nor will you ever hear a Madison Scout whine about anyone who has beaten them, either. That's not what the conversation would be about in any discussion up there. If Pacific Crest has beaten them tonight, then a "hats off" to them would be in order.

But don't think for a second that that won't then become an unspoken motivator to focus just that much harder on the field the next day.

Edited by GGarrett

What falsetto song did Andy start singing on the way back in the car with Michael....or was it Jim?...when he was trying to cheer Andy up?

M'bube mamayo. also known as "lion sleeps tonight".

at the risk of sounding too negative, i feel like i have to say my heart goes out to scouts nation today. getting beat by colts is one thing...they're consistently in that semis bracket, but pacific crest's show design is awful. i'm not talking crap about the kids, theyre performing the show really well. it's just that i was literally angered by elements in the design. what is going on with the scouts?? how can they be losing to pc? is it that with the rise of the cavies, phantom, and the bluecoats, the midwest can only support 3 top notch corps? it makes me sad to see scouts fall upon such hard times.

but congrats to the kids in pc. i'm not trying to put them down - lord knows that design teams sometimes lay eggs and that has nothing to do with the performers themselves.

Edited by alto92

Corps Score

Division I

1 The Cavaliers 81.900

2 Colts 72.950

3 Pacific Crest 66.650

4 Madison Scouts 66.550

5 Pioneer 60.550

Division II

1 Colt Cadets 56.250

Division III

1 Capital Sound 56.450

Just returned home from the show and here is my short and skinny on the corps.

Capital Sound- Did not see them.

Colts Cadets- My heros of the evening! Great show and love the little girl on the flagline.

Pioneers- Very entertaining this year!! Love the percussion section!

Madison Scouts- No comment, I will let others weigh in.

Pacific Crest- Very good! Thought that they should have beaten Scouts by more points!! Welcome to the midwest, great show!! Could be an overlooked corps to make the top #17 :doh::doh::doh:

Colts- Great show!! Will make the top #12 this year!

Cavaliers- first viewing of show, much is going on but they look good. There is much to clean in this show as they will be the bomb!!

well... sorry to do this "old guy" thing... but I remember when Kilts got clobbered by everyone in 1978 at DCI Midwest, and they came back 4 weeks later and made DCI finals.

So... whatever.

This isn't 1978. Show design and the vehicle plays too much of a role for a huge comeback to happen. They're on a certain track right now and I doubt it will be changed in a huge way. It's the way things have been for the past few seasons.

Edited by CadetsFan08

This isn't 1978. Show design and the vehicle plays too much of a role for a huge comeback to happen. They're on a certain track right now and I doubt it will be changed in a huge way. It's the way things have been for the past few seasons.

Really? :doh: I was SURE it was 1978. Thanks for letting me know.

And thanks for your insight into what WILL be happening, since you know, and the info on the way things have been going the last few years.