Top Posters In This Topic

I say Cavies....

Phantom!

Disclaimer: not a drummer here

From APDs or live shows, the drumlines that stick out in my mind are

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Vanguard

3. Bluecoats

I know I will surely get beat up for saying this but I just don't get this whole Phantom percussion thing. I watched them warm up before the show friday night and man they have some great players. Then I watched their show and scratched my head in amazement as to why they don't utilize the talent in their book. These guys have very little demand in their book. They do play a short feature that is pretty good but the majority of their book is buzz rolls and accented single taps, as well as a fair amount of tacet time. I have respect for the Phantom Regiment organization, as well as the DCI judging community but I just don't see how Phantom is the percussion section to beat :huh:

Disclaimer: not a drummer here

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Vanguard

3. Bluecoats

I have to agree with you here PeeWee (and I rarely agree with people who share my last name).

To go a step further:

4. Cadets

5. Cavies

6. BD

7. Crown

PR seems to have the total package this year. They have very tasty writing in the battery and the pit book is untouchable. By far the COOLEST and most intriguing pit book I've ever heard.

Vanguard's battery has some very progressive and innovative writing. It's also quite thick. Even if they hosed 1/3 of the book they would be playing more notes than most corps out there. NOT that more notes = better ........ but the notes, as written, are highly effective and tasty.

Bluecoats have achieved a style to percussion that is all their own. It has been in development for a few years now and they are definitely unique and demanding at the same time. I applaud them for not sounding like everyone else!

Cadets have bunches and bunches of (n)OATS. This has been the norm for a few years now. They execute well but the package is kinda .... repackaged. Cmon TOM .. we're getting tired of the same old thing.

Cavies are performing their book with a lot of aggression and energy. The book is less demanding than those ahead of them, but will be very clean by finals and may move up in the ranks. The pit book is the thinnest I've heard from Cavies since ........ 1985. This seems to follow the pattern in all areas of Cavies design.... Less is more ........ kinda :|

BD's drumline is mostly UNremarkable. The play second fiddle to the over powering hornline. The pit is playing all rehashed licks and the only part of the show that I found engaging is the segment leading into the closer when the horns are tranquil and the battery is flying along the back sideline playing some tasty parts. MORE OF THAT ... and they might find themselves some new fans.

Crown is on the verge. They have a new and improved sound this year .. they are playing with alot of energy and definitely won't find themselves 12th in drums again. I look for them to hold the middle of the pack at bay and keep knocking on the door in front of them. The pit has a nice and DIFFERENT book ... but it is missing something. There seems to be less layering of the parts and often sounds thin in design.

....................... says the brass player. </disclaimer>

Edited by supersop