Bluecoats Win! Biggest Upset in Drum Corps History

Clean my little prisoners, clean!! I agree that it's not REALLY an upset, but WOOOOOW!!!! Must feel great to be part of the Blue Crew this morning! Congratulations Bluecoats. Hope it's not a once in a lifetime accomplishment.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember Marquis from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin? They once beat Phantom Regiment during the 1976 season. Phantom went on to place 4th at the DCI World Championships. Marquis finished in 16th.

Someone else can enlighten us about a post-DCI show (Wildwood?) when North Star beat Bridgemen, reversing a spread of several points and placements from the DCI World finals.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think any time a corps places in the top four the previous year, one shouldn't be surprised at anything the next season. That's why I don't think Bluecoats' victory over Blue Devils and Cavaliers is a "big upset." It would be an upset if they weren't all that good this year, which having seen them in Kalamazoo, is clearly not the case. Bluecoats are very real, and while it's a banner date in their corps history, it's not an upset, IMHO.

North Star beat Bridgmen in 1978 in a post championship show in Malden Mass called 'Battle of the Champions'. This was always the last show on the season in Mass. Because many colleges had already started school Bridgemen were missing quite a few members. North Star being from Mass had a full corps. Believe me... this was the only reason North Star beat them. I marched that show with my corps the Brigadiers and I remember the suprise when the scores were announced. It sure gave North Star quite an end to their season.

What exciting year for the Bluecoats and drum corps for that matter. I saw Bloo in Lisle and they were just GREAT!. Pasadena should be a rollercoaster.

Congrats to Bloo and let this win fuel your intensity. Don't let up for one second.

Remember Marquis from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin? They once beat Phantom Regiment during the 1976 season. Phantom went on to place 4th at the DCI World Championships. Marquis finished in 16th.

Someone else can enlighten us about a post-DCI show (Wildwood?) when North Star beat Bridgemen, reversing a spread of several points and placements from the DCI World finals.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think any time a corps places in the top four the previous year, one shouldn't be surprised at anything the next season. That's why I don't think Bluecoats' victory over Blue Devils and Cavaliers is a "big upset." It would be an upset if they weren't all that good this year, which having seen them in Kalamazoo, is clearly not the case. Bluecoats are very real, and while it's a banner date in their corps history, it's not an upset, IMHO.

They had that list that started with a bottom corps who had been beaten by another and worked it all the way up to Marquis beating Phantom. It was just some humor to show that this corps at the very bottom could have placed 4th at DCI.

I wouldn't call last night an upset. As close as the upper crust of the corps are so far, anything can happen and probably will.

There have been some pretty big score and placement switches between a prelim and a final. For example, all-girl class at 1976 US Open

Prelims

Fire-ettes 66.00

CapitolAires 58.20

Finals

CapitolAires 66.00

Fire-ettes 64.65

and those full show prelims....but back in the day of short show in prelims and full show at finals...there all kinds of whacky scoring differences and changed placements and other stuff that happened.

Edited by FrankBeMe

Not an upset at all but a carefully designed plan over several years. Congratulations to Dave on strengthening a financially sound corps and building a phenominal staff! Your move a couple weeks back took leadership, and it sure has paid off!

I hope it continues!

I posted this on a different thread, but I think it's appropriate here. I don't know that "upset" is quite the right word, but it's definitely something of a tipping point in the history of DCI.

For comparison, here's a quote taken from the liner notes of the Cadets "Corps of the 80s" CD, in reference to their 1982 season - a year before their first championship.

Somewhere in the State of West Virginia, in the middle of summer, in the middle of the night, the defending World Champion Santa Clara Vanguard stands tall in second place. With dignity, poise, and pride, the Garfield Cadets welcome the new era.

1982 wasn't the Cadets year, overall. But before the Cadets could win it all and become the corps we know today, they had to prove that a corps that barely made finals in 1980 had arrived at the top and was in contention. I think the Bluecoats achieved something similar last night by finally beating the two corps that have dominated the last decade - and that are no slouches this year either.

In 1972 the Anaheim Kingsmen, down 3.2 points and in 3rd place after DCI prelims, pulled off a huge upset over Santa Clara and Blue Stars to win it all.

It might also be noted that the Kingsmen had never beaten either SCV or LBS that entire year until that point.

North Star beat Bridgmen in 1978 in a post championship show in Malden Mass called 'Battle of the Champions'. This was always the last show on the season in Mass. Because many colleges had already started school Bridgemen were missing quite a few members. North Star being from Mass had a full corps. Believe me... this was the only reason North Star beat them. I marched that show with my corps the Brigadiers and I remember the suprise when the scores were announced. It sure gave North Star quite an end to their season.

I think you must have the wrong year or wrong corps. I was in Bridgemen in 1978 and we didn't go to the Malden show after DCI (check out the score archive on corps reps).

Larry Schmidt

While I agree to a certain extent, I have trouble NOT considering this an upset due to the Historical strength of corps like Cadets, Cavies and BD; as well as their "front runner" strength thus far in 2007. Knocking off not 1 but 2 front runner juggernauts in the same night, while being consistently down by over a point every night leading up to the event, is pretty darn impressive! I guess I have mixed feelings but I'm leaning more toward UPSET.

I also agree with the poster you're talking about that it's not an upset that the Bluecoats beat the Blue Devils or the Cavaliers ... but to beat them both in the same show -- THAT is the upset!!! One hadn't been done in 19 years, the other hadn't been done EVER ... so to do BOTH in ONE NIGHT is truly an upset.

That they beat either ... heck, they were only 0.2 behind the Cavies once earlier this season, so that's not really a surprise ... and they finished one spot behind BD in each of the last two Finals, so to beat them really isn't a surprise ... doing both for the first time on the same night, THAT is a surprise ... and a very pleasant surprise at that!!!!

Is this the biggest upset in DCI history? Or name your top five upsets.

I don't know about the biggest. Maybe if Centerville was finals, and the Coats hadn't been close all season.