Carolina Crown-1996

Phantom Regiment-1996

Cavaliers-2002

Star of Indiana-1990 (opening statement...awesome...), 1993

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about those scouts in 2007. just kidding, havent gotten a chance to see or hear them yet

Watching this right now.

Deserves another mention as one of the great shows of the modern era.

Wow. That Rosander drill....one of his best. Better in my opinion than the 1999 drill. I thought that SCV should have won. Or rather, I should say, SCV was my favourite performance from that year's Finals.

The 1997 and 1998 SCV performances are sublime.

Which leads me to the following question....what are my favourite performances from each of my favourite corps, regardless of placement?

I agree 100%. In my opinion, 98 should have won hands down, 99 shouldn't have. 1998 was in my opinion the best show design, performance, execution, everything, ever, by anyone. 1997 was close behind.

It's also one of the dirtiest 2nd place shows in the history of the activity (in terms of vis ensemble...) and the Cadets feet and drill were sooooo clean that year...maybe as clean as they've ever been. I think you can justify Vanguard's surge above BD at finals, on the pure intensity and dare I say chutzpah of their show...but ultimately I think you have to give the edge to the Cadets that year for the sheer excellence and achivement of the performers.

Vanguard 1998 = dirt.jpg

:rolleyes: Cadets 1998 = mrclean.jpg

Two great shows...just sayin, I think the judges got it right...just like they did in '89...

1989 that is!!!!

But in terms of musicality and intonation, Cadets had one of the nastiest runs I've ever heard. Thats what puts SCV ahead in my book. Vanguard was simply amazing.

To be honest, I am surprised that so many of these performances are from 15-20 years ago. While you may be quick to label me an old-time dinosaur, I really have enjoyed drum corps in the last decade...but I do think that these earlier performances were more....I don't know...."soulful" than some of the more recent ones, which seem -to me- to be about who can move better, rather than who can play better.

No one seems to have commented on this, but I have said the same for quite some time. That is, the thing that older folks like myself have a problem with nowadays is that drum corps seems to be more about telling a story via the drill, whereas in our day (my age out was 92) the story and emotion came from music. To me, the best corps are those who can do both well, and my personal opinion is that SCV did that better in 99 than in 98, though 98 SCV had the best tuned bass drumline I've ever heard.

Go SCV!

Santa Clara Vanguard-1995, 1998

Not the Nutcracker was awesome! I thought everyone hated that show... it's one of my favorites also.

Some others I like in no particular order:

Madison 95

Star 91

Phantom 89, 93, 96

Cadets 95, 98, 04

Colts 99

BD 95

SCV 87, 95, 98, 99

Glassmen 98

Cavaliers 95

Man, I really liked a lot of 95 shows.

I don't have many favorites from the current decade. Haven't seen many shows unfortunately, only one I've been to has been Drums along the Rockies 2005. Still love the activity but I just don't have as much time to obsess over corps like I used to in my teens.

Where is Phantom '03? That's a great show!

Cavs '00? Also awesome.

VK '88?

Cadets '89?

Star '93?

Shows I keep returning to. Some based on seeing them live, some on DVD and some no more than the music...

Muchachos 1974 - One of the greatest shows ever.

Phantom 1979 - I still get the urge to stand and scream like a girl when the horns kneel down in Elsa's

SCV 1982 - I don't care if Bottle Dance fell apart, really I don't. It's one of those "wish I'd been there" moments

Garfield 1985 - This show, for me, took the activity to a whole new level

Colts 1985 - For personal reasons, but I still love this show

SCV 1987 - To see this show in the flesh was to be in the presence of greatness

Madison 1988 - Needs no justification

Colts 1993 - When I got the phone call to say the corps had made Finals, I almost cried.

It's strange how when folks think of their favorite shows from certian corps, they seldom bring up championship shows.

It's also one of the dirtiest 2nd place shows in the history of the activity (in terms of vis ensemble...) and the Cadets feet and drill were sooooo clean that year...maybe as clean as they've ever been. I think you can justify Vanguard's surge above BD at finals, on the pure intensity and dare I say chutzpah of their show...but ultimately I think you have to give the edge to the Cadets that year for the sheer excellence and achivement of the performers.

Vanguard 1998 = dirt.jpg

:rolleyes: Cadets 1998 = mrclean.jpg

Two great shows...just sayin, I think the judges got it right...just like they did in '89...

1989 that is!!!!

That pretty much sums it up right there. 98 Vanguard was BY FAR my FAVORITE show from that corps. But they were very dirty. In fact, I remember watching the video of their finals performance and right before their first hit at the end of their opener there was a contra player who had his horn pointed toward the end zone. I remember thinking WTF??!!! Cadets by far were the cleanest...plus how could they not have won with that ballad. That's the BEST ballad I have ever heard. I don't think there will be a ballad that will top that for me.