Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your opinions?

Was his decision right?

Was the penalty deserved?

Mine

No

YES!!!!![/b]

I was waiting for this to come up as a topic. First, let me say that I am indifferent when it come to George Hopkins (mainly because I do not know the man at all). But I know he is looking out for the best interest of those kids. I was viewing this tonight from a theatre in Raleigh and you could CLEARLY see that the hash marks were just not there. At the rate in which the Cadets march and the backwards marching that goes on, I could really see how this would be dangerous. I applaud him for stepping up and making a very tough call. I hated it for the kids in Cadets when the crowd started booing (I know that was not a direct slam against the members but it MUST have affected their "game face" a bit). Just my two cents...

I think the only people who are qualified to say whether or not his decision was right are the people who were able to inspect the condition of the field in person. From my seat in the theater, the field looked fine in some places, and resembled the beach that was the Citrus Bowl field in Orlando in 2003.

If he's concerned about the welfare of his members, then yes he is justified in asking for the field to be repainted (even though the field crew was repainting frequently and Cavies seemed to have no problems during their show).

But I also support DCI's decision to hit him with a timing penalty. You stop the show like that, you get the penalty. The rules ARE in place and can't be violated or altered at a director's whim, even if that director is George Hopkins.

I can understand why he did it, and he had a lot of guts for doing it. I enjoy the Cadets' show this year (one of the few...), but the penalty was called for by the rules. If they put it past them and move forward with the momentum they can take, it'll be a great finals night!

The eff happened? I just got home.

Penalty, probably deserved since I doubt he talked to anyone before it.

Decision was right in my opinion. He wanted the kids to be safe, and to have somewhat of a level playing field.

Sure Cavaliers could have done the same thing, but they didn't.

And I guarantee someone will say, well back in the day we didn't have hash marks or all the yardlines. Yea, and your point? Today there are yardlines and hash marks. I marched DCA last year when the only field line was the 50. No hash marks, and no other yard lines. Just because I and others did it, doesn't mean it should still happen today. Earlier corps today and last year got field lines and hash marks, so you have to argue everyone deserves them on the field.

I know the corps before the Cadets didn't say anything, but that doesn't mean the Cadets can't say anything.

I like their show this year sans narration, and want them to win, but I have to say no matter what, BD had the better show tonight.

Good luck to all corps in 07

Don't know if anybody saw this in the theaters, but apparently Hop was ###### at Dan Acheson about the whole situation (both the field and the penalty).