The Cadets at Quarterfinals

I would guess the Cadets will be out for blood tomorrow night, mainly because of the crowd reaction, not the penalty. The response seemed over the top nasty. YES, it disrupted the show, yes, it was everyone's favorite demon causing the disruption, but still..calm down people in the stands.

There was a legitimate point - the hashes were gone, and Cadets' drill is crazy fast with tight intervals. One form setting off a bit and disaster (and injury) happens. Yes, Cavies' is tough too, but not quite as insane.

No one but the handful of people actually involved in the discussion know if it was brought up before the corps got out there or not. Pulling them off the field had to be an agonizing call. GH has been writing in his blog for days about trying to get the timing at the stadium just right, so it seems unlikely he would want to disrupt the mental focus unless he was really worried they were going to have a major crash. It was a rock/hard place decision.

It doesn't seem like it will impact semis that much, since the corps has gone on in early/weird times at some other recent shows and still got consistent scores. Only thing it might do is energize Phantom a bit, since they may feel the door has been opened a crack for them to prove something.

I somehow feel the pressure of keeping the broadcast on schedule may have been a factor in not fixing the hashes earlier.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one other thing to consider..........

why wait until the corps is set up in their opening formation to pull them off the field...............why not insist it be repainted before they even started setting up?

That's what I'm saying...Demanding relining was justified, pulling the corps off the field after they already started to set up. Not so much...

1st...The field was horrible tonight, much like 2003 in Orlando. The whole seating in the venue wasn't spectacular either.

2nd... No one booed The Cadets, they booed George. The larger boo you heard was when George did a bow at about the 45 when the block was leaving the field. Unclassy for the fans to boo, even less class was shown by bowing to the crowd. That more or less set off the fans even more. Everyone is entitled to a proper field, but everyone is also entitled to an equal playing field.

Kudos DCI for taking a timing stance. The penalty tonight will not have any bearing on scores tomorrow. Only thing I am upset about is Hopkins and the other guy he was with in the blue polo CHASING down Dan Acheson after their score was announced. Hoppy was blowing up at about the 50 yard line but Dan motioned him to take it to the south tunnel. So at least both guys could 'talk' more in private instead of making a huge display at the 50.

DUDE this guys marched this show for months..!

they DONT need hash marks.

they should be able to do this with their eyes closed...

CAVALIERS had NO problem with their harder drills

I agree, and realistically if you are looking down for a hash mark you're gonna get ran over..... I was there tonight and I think the biggest issue is at the point george opted to demand paint....the cadets were set up and were under 1 minute to perform, if george would of made the request as they came out and started set up, I don't think the crowd would of reacted at the same intensity.

Edited by blueorginal

Wow, I totally disagree. March a show without hash marks? Are you serious?

Did you march? You mean after three months of 12-14 hour rehearsal days, you still needed hashes?

YEs even in my high school

this late in the season we dont care about hash marks...

its just all about memory and exact step sizes...

Everyone who has ever marched or hhas been aroud marching has a horror story about a field. Dips, hills so big you can't see the drum major, holes, uncutgrass, no fieald lines, crooked field lines, highschool hash marks, I once marched on a field that was completly burnt because lighning had hit it the week before. So what did we do? Pack up or bat and ball and go home? No we marched, and no the condition of the field wasn't acceptable. Too bad deal with it. At the level that these kids play they could march it in the dark, and they probibly have. Yes he should compain about it. But his decision wasn't about his corps saftey, it was about him being contriversal. If they find out that he planned this to try and inflate his score in semi's he needs to be banned from DCI. Thats unethical and plain stupid. Any div1 corps can stand next to a div3 corps and out play them, why not let the corps be judged on merit rather than a plan to perform between lower scoring corps. I'm not saying thats what is happening, but if it is they need to be DQ'd

DUDE this guys marched this show for months..!

they DONT need hash marks.

they should be able to do this with their eyes closed...

CAVALIERS had NO problem with their harder drills

CAVIES have a harder drill????? What show were you watching????????

They DO need hash marks. Let's see Cavies march without yard lines. Their whole show is based on them. But using your argument, yard lines could be considered useless also.

You might not look at the hashes in your marching band, but I PROMISE you that the Cadets NEED those hashes with their MUCH MORE INTRICATE "drills".