Indianapolis

I'll be staying about 2 blocks from the stadium, but we will have some free time...I'm looking for suggestions on good restaurants and activities...got any?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, I'd be happy to help. What type of attractions are you looking for? Bars? Family events? With a location downtown, you'll be in walking distance of any number of great restaurants. Where are you staying?

Matt, I could use advice on good bars near the stadium... My buddy and I will need to kill an hour or two after finals before we grab a cab back to the airport. When's last call there?

Carolina Crown will be hosting a VIP event from Weds - Late Saturday evening at Basey's Downtown. One of the nearest pubs to the stadium.

There will be giveaways, food discounts, t-shirts and even live music with a live band and special appearances by Joey Pero and Al Chez late Saturday afternoon.

To purchase your VIP pass ... go to http://carolinacrown.org/web/ and click on the link on the homepage.

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!

MORE INFO

Crown VIP Club at DCI Finals806_Web_Cover.JPG

Carolina Crown is pleased to announce its Finals Week V.I.P. Club. We have partnered with Basey’s Downtown Grill and Spirits, and Zink’s Distributing to offer drum corps fans a convenient place to gather and share their drum corps stories with each other.

Basey’s is located across the street from Lucas Oil Stadium (from the side two, back sideline exit) and across Missouri Street. It is in the same block as the Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites and Comfort Suites, within walking distance to downtown Indianapolis shopping, restaurants and other hotels.

Owner Greg Basey says, “We are excited for Drum Corps International and the Carolina Crown to be coming back to Indianapolis, and we want to provide their great fans a place to gather and have a convenient and affordable meal before the show.”

Basey’s will be closing off its back lot (as they do for Indianapolis Colts home games) and setting up outdoor tables, a stage for live music, TV’s and a beer truck for those of age.

For the cost of $30 per person, the Finals Week V.I.P. Club includes:

2009 Carolina Crown V.I.P.pass and lanyard.

10% off your food everyday - starting Wednesday through Saturday of Finals week.

10% off a one-time purchase at the Crown merchandise booth.

A commemorative t-shirt that you can pick up at Basey's during Finals week.

Preferential service for V.I.P’s.

Live music Saturday afternoon starting at 4pm with a special appearance by Al Chez, drum corps legend and trumpet player on “Late Night with David Letterman” and also Joey Pero of drum corps and recording fame.

Free Carolina Crown giveaways.

The Budweiser Girls and Bud giveaways.

Price includes shipping of t-shirt and lanyard.

Fans can purchase a 2009 V.I.P. lanyard by clicking on the link WWW.CAROLINACROWN.ORG or by stopping by Crown’s souvenir booth anytime during the tour, or just visiting Basey’s Downtown Grill and Spirits during DCI week.

As a part of Zink’s Distributing “Responsibly Matters” campaign, the company will offer free taxi rides for those who feel they should not be driving to their local hotels (within a designated service area), or they will help patrons secure transportation to hotels outside of the designated free-ride area.

The Carolina Crown would like to thank Basey’s owner, Greg Basey, and the Zink’s Distributing family, especially Marketing Manager Mike Stone (a drum corps alum), for all of their hard work to make this the premier place to have fun at Finals!

Finally, we would like all remind all of our fans: Please drink responsibly, appoint a designated driver and keep the road safe for everyone.

I forget the name of the place we are staying at...I'll let you know when I remember. We will have two old folks (low 50s) and two young guys...both 22...so we'll need a variety of things...some active and some a little more mellow. My wife and I are ok doing some walking/sightseeing/shopping, etc, but we've also done some more active stuff. Last year we rented a speed boat...and let the two guys drive it...so we're open to pretty much anything. And we will have our car, so close to Indianapolis is also an option. As for eateries....it would be nice to stay away from chains that we can go to back here in PA...places specific to the area would be nice...also...the guys like to go put at night after Mom and Dad go to bed...so some good bars near the stadium would be nice also.

We're staying at the Omni Severin...

Thanks!

Matt, I could use advice on good bars near the stadium... My buddy and I will need to kill an hour or two after finals before we grab a cab back to the airport. When's last call there?

If you're looking for spots after the show to grab some drinks, there should be plenty. Last call's 2 or 3, not sure because it's been a while since I've been out that late. :thumbup:

Directly east of the stadium is Slippery Noodle. It's a deceptively large place, with multiple stages for live music. Upland makes a house brew exclusive to the place that's pretty tasty. The crowd's generally a little older (for reference, I'm 26).

A couple blocks north of the stadium is Bourbon Street Distillery. This is one of my favorite spots for sharing drinks with friends, especially because they have a second-floor balcony for outside seating, with a nice view of the city. It's busiest as an after-work destination, and will probably be pretty quiet by the time the DCI show is done.

Mass Ave is one of my favorite places to bar-hop. The Beer Garden is a lot of fun, a big open area with park benches, a fire pit, a live stage, and large house brews. It closes up shop pretty early, though, and will likely be closed by the time DCI lets out. I'd recommend heading to Old Point Tavern or MacNiven's instead. Both are two of my favorite downtown destinations. OPT is billed as Indy's second-oldest bar, and has a really nice selection of bottled beers. They also have outside seating, street-level, with a terrific view. If you go before the DCI show, and before the kitchen closes, be sure to get the chicken nachos. They'll feed two or three, easily, and are simply terrific - I can't stress these enough. MacNiven's is a Scottish-themed bar, with both restaurant and bar seating. They'll keep the kitchen open until 11:00. This place has an even larger bottled beer selection, taking up two pages of small type. Get the Bellhaven's, it's the milkshake of beers.

If you like something upscale, Scholar's Inn is also on Mass Ave. This is a trendier place, specializing mostly in cocktails. They've got a bar area downstairs, with somewhat limited seating, and a restaurant upstairs. Nicky Blaine's is a cigar & martini bar, located just south of the circle. Cover is usually $5, and the drinks are twice that, but pretty tasty. I'll confess, the place usually gives me a headache as it's very dark and smoky, but it's also quite plush, if you're into that sort of place.

Finals night I'll be at the Murat downtown, which is on Mass Ave, so I'll probably end up at OPT around the same time you're getting out. Let me know if you want to say hi.

rock bottom brewery has really good food. Been there with school the past 3 years