Not too shabby

Yeah, they look good, best of luck to C2. Granted, they have the resources of the Cadets/YEA organization behind them. But getting a group up off the ground from scratch is no mean feat, no matter who's supporting you. You and I know that very well, eh Jaybo?

Regards,

Fred O.

p.s. Good luck to my alma mater Bush as well; hoping for a bigger, stronger and faster team this summer!

YES Fred, You and I know the challenges VERY well.

Hope to see you sometime this summer my old friend! Maybe at the Bush homeshow in August.

Jaybo

There will also be some people that don't survive all days at the DCI level that may find the DCA schedule more to their taste.

I think this may be where the Cadets2 model will really start to shine. Especially in years to come.

May this thought of Ed's come true....

PS...CANNOT WAIT TO SEE/HEAR C2....and Fusion doing "Speak Softly"...and Ghost Riders (wow)...DCA is fun :)

• 2 months later...

Actually- I'm not sure if I would call that excellent. I'm not trying to hate on them and I really admire what they are doing here, but if what we are seeing here is the current version of their product, they are behind where the Top 5 is currently. By a solid 4+ points easily IMO. Based on the videos I've seen, including the one above, they do some things well, but their age shows.

I know recordings don't always do justice but I did hear a lot of feet in the sound and poor balance among the hornline. Also, plenty of feet out of time and most importantly- a lot of standing still and when they did move, nothing bigger than an 8 to 5 from what I could see.

Not to mention, no guard uniforms, and nothing past the ballad. It's July. Granted is was just an exhibition so they may just be saving something for next week.

I wish them luck.

I'm curious what your impression is of the current 3, 4 and 5 if you think this is Top 3. Not bashing, I respect your opinion... Just curious is all.

That performance was not top 3, I agree with your post above.

However... by season end, once all holes are filled and they have more experience in a show situation and get cleaner, they can easily be there with this show.

I saw them live last night. There are absolutely a contender for a medal spot.

Cadets2 is a very young corps, I'd venture to guess mostly high school age. They are doing an ambitious but achievable drill, with what may be the hardest brass book in DCA. It's certainly comparable to Reading's book if not more challenging. And they play it well already. Percussively, they will challenge for the drum trophy. The only real weak spot they have right now is the guard, which isn't at all surprising for a first year corps.

This is easily the best first-year corps DCA has seen in a long, long time, maybe ever. They are absolutely right there with Empire, Cabs, and Hurcs. Sure, they may be behind them come Clifton, but by September? It wouldn't surprise me if C2 blew by those corps like they are standing still. Will it happen? No idea. But it sure might.

There was a real buzz in the stands in Jackson when they were done. The fun thing isn't how they will do THIS year, but how they will do NEXT year and down the line, once they are established. The family that sat behind me had two band kids. Whdn C2 finished, both turned to mom & dad and said, "Can we join that corps?" Mom & Dad's response? "We can certainly talk about it. We didn't even know Cadets had a DCA corps."

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

I would hope the closer is on the field this weekend. if it's not they are way behind for this year, but they are setting up the future nicely.

IMO, too many people are putting expectations that may not be reasonable on them. Let them come out and do how they'll do. predicting medals or no medals etc just puts the corps in a no win position with the fan base.

be glad they are out, and no matter where they place, they made history for themselves

• Like 1

There was a real buzz in the stands in Jackson when they were done. The fun thing isn't how they will do THIS year, but how they will do NEXT year and down the line, once they are established. The family that sat behind me had two band kids. Whdn C2 finished, both turned to mom & dad and said, "Can we join that corps?" Mom & Dad's response? "We can certainly talk about it. We didn't even know Cadets had a DCA corps."

And maybe how this could positively affect other DCA corps next year. Thinking of responses like "Well C2 if pretty far away but maybe we can see if anyone is closer" or at least possiblity of younge people starting to THINK about DCA as an option. ... LOL, thought of someone going to another DCA corps as a first step to eventually join C2 instead of going to DCI (if full touring isn't to their liking).

• Like 2