Not too shabby

Jeez, I seem to remember that rule???? What did people call that rule???? Cant see to recall the name of that rule?????

I do remember that rule going away quietly though when it didnt do what it was meant to do!

Man, I cant seem to remember the name of that rule!!!! :shutup:

Jay

the JBOD rule?

no. The Jaybo rule?

no...

hmm

:tongue:

this can be true also the fact that its SEPT. besides burnout also young members have issue with the fact the season goes into Sept...move in at schools have passed by then with many or happen that weekend

well, and with todays visual packages, can you get in there and be clean in 3 weeks?

well, and with todays visual packages, can you get in there and be clean in 3 weeks?

And THAT is the 64 dollar question. Maybe. People need time to adjust to who is next to them, get used to how they zig. Also to get used to actually having a body in that hole that's been kept open. It alters what's expected and anticipated for in your visual scan as you perform. Gets you out of a confidence zone if you're not careful or can metally jolt you in a run. As was said earlier, it can be a risk to bring in people. Seen it work out just fine, also seen incidents at Finals weekend where holes were filled, and the result was referred to by a knowledgeable friend of mine as "Bumper-people".

Given the level of staff, training and methodology, I'd think it would tend to work out more than having a case of Bumper-people. But-- it's a wait and see thing. :satisfied:

Times change I guess. I remember when padding your corps with DCI age-outs was considered practically immoral. :)

I think the infamous "Bushwacker Rule" revolved around the ideal that the existing DCA corps were here to establish themselves as competitive organizations AND, with everyone on the same page, create the best possible show with what they had. When a corps would add members - the word "Ringers" comes to mind - other corps who strove all season to work with what they had would suddenly find themselves at the losing end because another corps decided to call in its chips and fill out their ranks with members that would boost their score at the last minute and potentially lay claim to a title.

Call me old fashioned. I still think it would stink if a corps adopted that tactic today.

actually with a DCA drill compared to what they may be used to I say yes they could do it and be clean..I threw some kids in a show last summer with guard work in a DCI corp and they had 1/2 of it down in 2 days the the other 1/2 the following day...with work..not perfect but they did a great job

Actually a captive student who cant leave to go home makes it easier..lol :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

Times change I guess. I remember when padding your corps with DCI age-outs was considered practically immoral. :)

I think the infamous "Bushwacker Rule" revolved around the ideal that the existing DCA corps were here to establish themselves as competitive organizations AND, with everyone on the same page, create the best possible show with what they had. When a corps would add members - the word "Ringers" comes to mind - other corps who strove all season to work with what they had would suddenly find themselves at the losing end because another corps decided to call in its chips and fill out their ranks with members that would boost their score at the last minute and potentially lay claim to a title.

Call me old fashioned. I still think it would stink if a corps adopted that tactic today.

Well I guess you can call me old fashioned too because when someone is keeping score, You do whatever it takes to get the best score, within the rules of course.....

I can say we never added the "ringers" you speak of, We just kept filling the ranks with qualified members DURING the season. As Tom pointed out earlier, We never really added many DCI kids off tour at the end, It just seemed that way to many people.

Jay

• Like 1

As Tom pointed out earlier, We never really added many DCI kids off tour at the end, It just seemed that way to many people.

Jay

Yeah, folks got a little panicky, like if we were bringing in 20 DCI horn players, or Bayonne's tenor line or something. But I don't think we ever did much more than fill a few horn or guard blanks. I don't recall ever adding anyone to the drum line, at least not when I marched or taught. For the most part we did it with the materials at hand and a lot of hard work.

regards,

Fred O.

• Like 1

The top 8 corps sure can and then some.

I forgotten who it was just a few years back. One of the top 8 corps pretty much had to do a rewrite of a large chunk of the closer because it was not working with the judges or the audience. So they go into hybernation for 3 days,,come out with like 30 new pages of drill and scored higher with it than before. A week later and you could not tell they just learned it.

The top 8 corps sure can and then some.

I forgotten who it was just a few years back. One of the top 8 corps pretty much had to do a rewrite of a large chunk of the closer because it was not working with the judges or the audience. So they go into hybernation for 3 days,,come out with like 30 new pages of drill and scored higher with it than before. A week later and you could not tell they just learned it.

ok learning a large chunk for everyone sure. But someone trying to cram 11 minutes in 2 weeks and look like people there all summer?

maybe 15years ago. Even 10.

DCA drill, at least at the top levels...no.