Blue Devils Visually Perfect?

"(I prefer that drum corps use drums and brass to create emotion rather than recorded music or quotes)"

To the OP: it's really okay to listen to Blue Devils' drums and brass while they perform their show. They did some utterly fantastic work this year...

I did really enjoy the drums and brass, and they performed marvelously. My criticism is directed at the long passages of quotes that are played over the corps throughout the piece. Is there any other way to convey that message than to use pre-recorded (and thus unperformed) sound? If there is, it should be used. I don't feel that the recordings take away from the skills and accomplishments of the performers, but it denies them an opportunity to add to the emotional and logical connection to the show. It's the same criticism I would level at Blue Knight this year.

• Like 1

The judges are adding to rather than subtracting from so the term perfect doesn't fit in this context. A 20 out of 20 in the old tick system would be described as perfection.

MikeD's maximum is more accurate.

Blue Devils at finals got perfect scores for both Visual judges in General Effect and in both Analysis and Guard in the Visual caption. Are we to take it that their performance, aside from Proficiency, which was won by Crown, was the perfect, best ever Visual performance by a corps in history?

I can see them being the best corps this year, though I greatly dislike it, as their show is not to my taste (I prefer that drum corps use drums and brass to create emotion rather than recorded music or quotes). But I really can't see any justification for perfect scores, unless I'm misunderstanding the system.

The scores compare Corps in competition on that given nite. Comparing what a Corps got in score to another show with another mix of Corps with other judges from that year is fraught with danger. It can't be done.. and should not be done in my view as they have little to no value whatsoever. Comparing what a Corps got in score to a previous year is fraught with even more difficulty. Further still ,comparing a score that ( for example ) BD got on Saturday nite to a score that( for example ) the Anaheim Kingsmen got in 1972, ( you did say compare "best in history ) and under a completelly different judging system altogether, is like comparing a bottle of windex with a bottle of diet coke. By stating they are both " liquids " in comparison, we can drink them both and compare the taste to one another, right ?. But I really wouldn't try to do this if I was you.

Edited by BRASSO

While we're on this subject: did Blue Devils and Carolina Crown actually tie for the John Brazale Best Visual Performance Award, as announced by Brandt Crocker and repeated in Michael Boo's recap analysis, or not? In order for corps to tie for a caption award, that caption's average score for the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, would have to be a tie, and that caption's score for Saturday would have to be a tie. I'm not sure which visual number I'm supposed to be looking at for this award (there is no caption called "visual performance") but I don't see any ties between BD and Crown under that heading on Saturday.

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Crown won the Brazale Award. No tie.

I don't really want to start a gigantic 45 page argument about fairness again, but this is a perfect example of why numbers management is used. Its to avoid literally running out of room on the sheets. Clearly the judges thought that BD deserved that spread or larger or they would not have given them a 20. Since we are no longer using the tic system, the concept of perfect no longer applies.

That being said, both corps presented ground breaking visual and musical programs this year, and I'm a huge fan of both. I can't wait to see what happens next summer. In the mean time, its time for fall Band on Grass, shortly followed by drums in a gym. I love my life.

• Like 2

Crown won the Brazale Award. No tie.

Thanks!

So that's two awards BD was told they'd received only to have them taken away -- though as far as I have seen, DCI hasn't noted this particular correction anywhere.

"(I prefer that drum corps use drums and brass to create emotion rather than recorded music or quotes)"

To the OP: it's really okay to listen to Blue Devils' drums and brass while they perform their show. They did some utterly fantastic work this year...

I agree: maybe the best 2nd place brass performance ever