HOF Class of '15

Trivia question for DCPers...

Jeff Sacktig's bio mentions his mentoring by Ralph Pace who did not teach the Cadets or St. Matthias either.

In what DCI corps not mentioned in the article did Jeff first "march"...and with the color guard weapon line, no less?

Photos of this actually exist. I will be busy searching my archives that survived the fire.

Edited by xandandl

As I looked at the Hall of Fame Class of 2015, it again includes some wonderful people representing drum corps past and present. I clicked to look at past people inducted, but I was struck by something. Why are there so few women in the ranks? I saw a few of the greats: Sandra Opie and Peggy Twiggs to name two. I also realize that people have to be nominated, so a selection committee can only work with who was nominated, but have we had so few women who have made an impact on the activity? As drum corps color guards have evolved from military style units to highly choreographed shows, there have to be talented women involved. Also, Hall of Fame ceremonies are great opportunities to honor "unsung heroes" who make integral contributions but are somehow below the radar. There have to be qualified women who deserve such an honor in this category.

1. Jeff's much older brother was marching in Crossmen of Philadelphia's hornline when re-writes of the drill needed someone to re-set rifles on the field.

So 10 yr. old Jeff Sacktig was suited up in a Crossmen uniform and lugged rifles to and fro along the front sidelines on either side of the boundaries. So he marched guard for Crossmen before he even marched mid-eighties Garfield Cadets including horn soloist for '87 Appalachian Spring. (I am still searching the archives for the photo which he has shown publicly a few times such as his parents' wakes and other family events.)

2. Mike Z, which Mary Wilson are you referencing?

3. TimK, I definitely agree with your point that women have been under-rated in the DCI HoF selections.

Besides the additional two guard gurus from the Blue Devils, Stefanie Lynde and Shirley Stratton Dohertie and the two you mentioned, Peggy Twiggs (27th Lancers, Cadets) and Sandra Opie (judge and Kansas brass instructor), another is Marie Grana Czapinski. I would presume Judy Tomko Ulchinsky should be an obvious candidate having marched, instructed and judged in DCI for several decades and the first female guard captain for (Garfield) Cadets.

DCI HoF began in 1985. It took TEN years before the first female was named. With Mary Pesceone (wife of the first DCI CEO), that is a total of SIX (6) Hall of Fame members representing all the female members, instructors, judges, and administrators since DCI began in 1972. Before DCI starts throwing demands at others about discrimination of all sorts, maybe some internal soul-searching is in order for the past 42 years. That's an average of a woman named every SEVEN years. Not really respectful for the number women involved in so many ways in DCI. (Quick spot check of membership seems to show that Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Madison and Cadets have most affiliates named to HoF membership.)

Edited by xandandl

As I looked at the Hall of Fame Class of 2015, it again includes some wonderful people representing drum corps past and present. I clicked to look at past people inducted, but I was struck by something. Why are there so few women in the ranks? I also realize that people have to be nominated, so a selection committee can only work with who was nominated, but have we had so few women who have made an impact on the activity?

Despite the contributions of Women since DCI's inception and current Women marcher members that make up around 40% of the Corps ( that allow Women entrance to their Corps ) Its 98% men in the DCI Hall of Fame for the simple reason that they primarily run the DCI corps, design the shows, judge the shows, announce the shows, and sell the instruments and unforms, etc, and so forth and so on.

As James Brown song lyrics says..... " This ( DCI ) is a Man's World... but it would be nothing.. nothing without a women or a girl. "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

re-post with added info.

3. TimK, I definitely agree with your point that women have been under-rated in the DCI HoF selections.

Besides the additional two guard gurus from the Blue Devils, Stefanie Lynde and Shirley Stratton Dohertie and the two you mentioned, Peggy Twiggs (27th Lancers, Cadets) and Sandra Opie (judge and Kansas brass instructor), another is Marie Grana Czapinski. I would presume Judy Tomko Ulchinsky should be an obvious candidate having marched, instructed and judged in DCI for several decades and the first female guard captain for (Garfield) Cadets.

DCI HoF began in 1985. It took TEN years before the first female was named. With Mary Pesceone (wife of the first DCI CEO), that is a total of SIX (6) Hall of Fame members representing all the female members, instructors, judges, and administrators since DCI began in 1972. Before DCI starts throwing demands at others about discrimination of all sorts, maybe some internal soul-searching is in order for the past 42 years. That's an average of a woman named every SEVEN years. Not really respectful for the number women involved in so many ways in DCI. (Quick spot check of membership seems to show that Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Madison and Cadets have most affiliates named to HoF membership.)

Despite the contributions of Women since DCI's inception and current Women marcher members that make up around 40% of the Corps ( that allow Women entrance to their Corps ) Its 98% men in the DCI Hall of Fame for the simple reason that they primarily run the DCI corps, design the shows, judge the shows, announce the shows, and sell the instruments and unforms, etc, and so forth and so on.

As James Brown song lyrics says..... " This ( DCI ) is a Man's World... but it would be nothing.. nothing without a women or a girl. "

It's almost as if there is pervasive attitude within the institution that professional administration of drum corps activities is too hard for women. What with them out making babies and raising kids and all that.

:wow:

To be clear, that is not my opinion of women in drum corps leadership. Just paraphrasing what we have seen on DCP.

It's almost as if there is pervasive attitude within the institution that professional administration of drum corps activities is too hard for women. What with them out making babies and raising kids and all that.

:wow:

To be clear, that is not my opinion of women in drum corps leadership. Just paraphrasing what we have seen on DCP.

I've always said that it just shows that women are far too smart to put themselves in the position of corps director. I once asked a female administrator of a corps who was incredibly good at her job why she didn't step up and take over a corps...her reply..."I'm not nearly stupid enough to do that."

• Like 1

Mary Wilson is the founder and director of The Bandettes drum and bugle corps from Sault Ste Marie, Canada. Although they were not the most successful all female drumcorps, they were the last and I would imagine the longest operating all female corps. Mary impacted many lives and provided an excellent musical education to girls in a part of North America where there are nearly no instrumental music programs. Not only was Mary a great director, she is an even better person. Lots of folks May not know Mary, but she is a hall of famer in my book.

Z

• Like 1