Lack of diversity of musical tempos?

I heard a ton of variety this year myself. Maybe that's just me.

I agree. I thought this year had tons of variety

• Like 2

I am going to 3rd this post...agree TONS of variety this season in particular...or at least it seemed that way anyway.

• Like 2

Corps had lots of variety in their tempos in the music they played this season, imo

That said, I could easily envision GH and Show Designers at The Cadets deciding to do less brass playing next season in those segments of their show where they are frenetically moving about in their drill routine at high beats per minute tempos. My guess, they'll most likely drop that for next season. 'Would make pragmatic competitive sense for them to do so too, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Today certainly beats MY era with the Cadence 10-point caption that penalized corps for marching outside a narrow circumscribed tempo (somewhere between 124-132 or close to that). The T&P judge would check each corps three times in their show, from what I recall. At VFW Nats in 71 we were tied for first in cadence with a perfect score!!!!

.......along with 9 other corps. :tounge2:

Only Belleville and Blue Rock got hit on cadence.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

Today certainly beats MY era with the Cadence 10-point caption that penalized corps for marching outside a narrow circumscribed tempo (somewhere between 124-132 or close to that). The T&P judge would check each corps three times in their show, from what I recall. At VFW Nats in 71 we were tied for first in cadence with a perfect score!!!!

OMG do you remember all that...lol..yikes :wow:

remember prelim shows?...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

Yes.. 132 BPM's,... when I was judging M& M ( Esmass Circuit, back in pre DCI years ) the T& P judges would routinely waive the cadence requirement with the C unit Division marchers we would be judging as oftentimes the kids were really young, inexperienced, and the BPM cadence would be very volatile during their marching. Having standard, prescribed BPM for an entire show performance was something that needed to change. And it did. Another thing that needed to change..... inspections. I also used to conduct Inspections as an Inspection Judge in the Esmass Circuit. I once called off the inspection for ALL the Corps in the middle of nite show in the Esmass Circuit one evening. The show was under the lights, near a stream, and the mosquitos came out by the hundreds this particular nite. I inspected one Corps on the starting line and was in the middle of the 2nd Corps inspection. I and they were beaten eaten alive by these mosquitos, so I stopped my inspections, and went to the Chief Judge and advised him to call off the inspections this nite for health and safety concerns. He agreed, and we stopped the inspections this nite, and we purged the few tenths I took off on the 1st 2 Corps inspected that nite. Inspections and uniform cadence requirements are things that needed to be left behind, MikeD.. And fortunately, they have been.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

OMG do you remember all that...lol..yikes :wow:

remember prelim shows?...lol

Hey Mike

remember the smaller fields in the mid west and the fair shows?..lmao..ok back on topic....lol

I think there was plenty of diversity all around. In todays shows

Edited by GUARDLING

Hey Mike

remember the smaller fields in the mid west and the fair shows?..lmao..ok back on topic....lol

I think there was plenty of diversity all around. In todays shows

When I was teaching a GSC corps in 76/77, we did a show on a pier in Havre de Grace MD. The 'field' was way to narrow, and as our bass drummers crabbed backwards up with their eyes to the DM, one of them took too large a step and ...whoops...right into the water!

At the same show, some guy was parasailing...and as the tow boat go up speed to lift him out of the water, it beame clear to everyone watching that the guy had not tied his suit tight enough...he lifted out of the water, but his bathing suit decided not to. :augen51:

• Like 2