How to choose: Internship vs. Age out

I'm going to straddle the fence here.... March your age-out year. You have your whole life ahead of you. There WILL be other opportunities. But, then again....you could take the internship; launch your career, and get involved again in drum corps at a later time. Marching with an all-age or alumni corps, teaching a corps, managing, volunteering, etc.

Whatever your choice...it will be the correct one. Don't stress over it. Life is too short.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Edit: Plus what you start out wanting to do may not be your life's vocation.

Or, life won't throw you the pitch you wanted.

Moral: The only thing you know about the future is that you have only one season left to march.

(Boring trivia follows:)

I knew I was going to be a pilot from 6 years old, laying on the roof of the station wagon watching the birds. I laid out my entire schooling and training beginning before age 10. By 13 I was flying sailplanes, at 14 I got my license. At 15 I was flying powered planes and got that license at 16. As a junior in HS I wrote a letter to Paul Tibbets (Enola Gay) who owned Executive Jet Aviation and asked him what I had to do to fly for him. He said go to school, get my certifications, then call him (I still have the letter). I stopped marching, started flying full-time in the summers, and headed off to Embry-Riddle, and was on my way. (Executive Jet Aviation later became NetJets.)

Then, two years into flight school, something completely out of my control happened - my eyes changed from 20/20 to 20/40 and, at that time, there were enough military pilots around that the rules were, essentially, forget about being a airline captain with corrective lenses.

By that time, though still a year from age-out, I had been out of playing for so long that I was not competitive and marching again was not a realistic option (although I did transfer to THE Ohio State Univ and marched in TBDBITL - what does that tell you?!!)

I'm very active in corps today on many different fronts, and I tend to not look back. Not until years later did it dawn on me that I have 40+ years to make my mark in my career, and only a few years to march.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

So you applied for an internship, went through the process, got the offer, and don't know whether to accept it? These are things you should have thought through Before you applied for the internship. Harsh? Perhaps. But words you need to hear.

• Like 3

So you applied for an internship, went through the process, got the offer, and don't know whether to accept it? These are things you should have thought through Before you applied for the internship. Harsh? Perhaps. But words you need to hear.

Tough love never hurt anyone.

It’s just band.

A friend of mine got an internship at a Big Four (Big six then) and is still working there, he’ll be eligible for retirement in just over a year at age 50 with a nice pension. Then, he can do whatever he wants like march DCA

It would be foolish not to make those professional connections and know where you stand in the eyes of companies in an important year of professional development. I knew going in to this that I would be faced with a choice. Better to have multiple great opportunities than to be pigeon holed into one

• Like 1

You're probably asking a fairly biased group here on DCP, but in the end you have to decide what's more important to you.

And this sucks to hear, but whichever way you choose, you're likely going to have some sort of regrets. Whether it's forgoing your age-out year to focus on your career development, or putting your career on the backburner while you march. It sounds like you've got an incredibly difficult and important choice to make, but I'm sure you'll make the right one, whichever that may be. Make sure you believe that as well when all's said and done.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Any money attached to this internship?

"It's about the Kwan. Show. Me. The. Money." ($1 to Rod Tidwell)

Hey... somebody had to present the opposing position :bleah:

The pay is good for an internship. Over $25/hr