The history of the Westshoremen

That, I'll never figure out.

You guys were beating everyone.... big win at the Scranton regional, and again the weekend before championships... and then, suddenly, 4th place. :blink:

highest score in DCA the weekend before too. look at the panel....that says it all

not bitter much 22 years later

:rolleyes:

I don't know all that much about judging, nor do I really want to. But a friend of mine once said: "You have to get the judges that favor what YOU are doing, on the panel". That seems almost too simple an explanation, to me.

It's almost that simple. Especially in DCA where the judges' pool is known and quite limited. I'll explain more at Hanover afterwards if prompted. Everyone has known track records and proclivities during the season. Choosing certain judges over others on a panel can practically guarantee certain results rather than another result had others been chosen.

The art to it is to try and make panels where there's enough open looseness to the individuals and their interactions with the overall or caption numbers so that if someone comes out and does the job they end up rewarded.

Note here that I didn't say any judge was being dishonest or unfair, or inept. That's not what's going on-- they're all doing their best professional job, it's just how their numbers interact with the overall score and the other panel members.

Say, I know that Judge 1 has had corps A up all year, but corps B is maybe .2 down to them. Judge 2 has been into B, and has had them .3 up on A. You can pretty much figure out B will win if both corps do their normal performance, etc.

Once you read the tea leaves as to someone's tendencies, you then start trying to get them away from you or off the Championship panels to get rid of your competitor's advantages. Which is what happened to Donnie, I'm sure. Find something to cry and nitpick on to get rid of the guy who's got you .6 down and get the guy on the panel who is more cautions about his spreads, is careful about getting you angry at them and has you only .2 down. There were some corps who clearly knew how to play that game in the past and were a definite Box 5 at the screaming, yelling, and drama games. :devil:

As for Westshore Brass 3rd on Dave's sheet, I have a rather educated guess 3rd might have been where they were, given how usually clean and exact the Bushwacker Empire, and Caballero Horn lines were in that time period. To have gotten ahead of any ONE of those aforementioned horn lines in that era says something. :innocent:

This Larry Hershman Moment is brought to you by Dove.....

That's sooooooooo 1980. devil.gif (I still have a few more feathers here....hehe)

And a rubber chicken! The only "bird" to fly that night..... Briefly. :satisfied:

I really need to send to you some pics his Uncle Roo took of his Hawaiian vacation he was on with his Uncle Roo... thumbup.gif

Thanks Jeff, never knew about this site but listening now.

Will have to thank "Ron the narrator" too when I see him next.

Edit: Hoo Boy do I owe him.... Mentioned "Linglestown" and clip of 79 Grenada Smoothie.... :w00t:

Thanks, Jim!

But I can't take much of the credit; it was based on Jeff's article in the "History of Drum and Bugle Corps Vol II" book...

Thanks, Jim!

But I can't take much of the credit; it was based on Jeff's article in the "History of Drum and Bugle Corps Vol II" book...

I figured a lot came from there as you repeated a mistake that I missed when Jeff asked me to proofread the article. :doh: I heard it and thought ooooohhhh CRAP! Mistake was: 1979 corps had the new unis but wore the old shakos. The aussie hats came in 1980.

Also think you said in 1974 the corps had pearl colored shakos. Will have to double check my only '74 corps pic but think that was the year we spray painted them flat black during late Spring. So half right anyway. :tongue:

Yes.... spray painted.... couple of people took the eagle and chain(?) off, put those suckers on the ground and went nutz with a box of cans. Think it was at a gig in New Cumberland Army Depot or Carlisle War College.

I figured a lot came from there as you repeated a mistake that I missed when Jeff asked me to proofread the article. :doh: I heard it and thought ooooohhhh CRAP! Mistake was: 1979 corps had the new unis but wore the old shakos. The aussie hats came in 1980.

Also think you said in 1974 the corps had pearl colored shakos. Will have to double check my only '74 corps pic but think that was the year we spray painted them flat black during late Spring. So half right anyway. :tongue:

Yes.... spray painted.... couple of people took the eagle and chain(?) off, put those suckers on the ground and went nutz with a box of cans. Think it was at a gig in New Cumberland Army Depot or Carlisle War College.

Oh God...I forgot about the shako's in 1979! Oy....I hated those hats, and the fact that they didn't go with the new uniform look made them even MORE horrid! As I recall...mine was sprayed, but someone took the time to tape off the braided stripes on it, and remove the eagle...it was a white pearl underneath and I think Benny touched it up at a parade (when he was touching up someone's sneakers, who forgot to bring black shoes) :tongue:

Those black uni's were horrible! first, the pants had NO pockets, so you couldn't even keep a key in them, (thankfully I had a stick bag on my drums, and my mother sewed a small pocket into it) they also didn't have belt loops, so they fell down, and the way the tunic went into the pants, you couldn't use suspenders :blink: second, they had so many parts that you had to take inventory before leaving for the weekend, and then after the show to make sure you had everything before you left, third those stupid white cuffs used to get so crappy/moldy after sweating in them during the show.

I loved Reading's uni's in 84 and 85, we just had the coats and a dickey, used your own pants and all that...they WERE very hot (made like winter band uniforms) but you just put them inside out after you got off the field to dry a little (and stored them inside out)

Edited by Jaminbenb