DCI Fan Network on IPad

. . .anyway, the folks that do DCI's media site (or the Fan Network, at least), Brightcove, have the ability to do HTML5, according to their website packages that they offer.

I'm not sure if that's the plan, though.

Well...just in case anyone who makes decisions is reading this, let me say that I support making FanNetwork work on the iPad. In fact, as has been put somewhere else, I would love love love to see a FanNetwork iPad application.

At the present time DCI uses .flv or flash for the videos.

They are easy to download and easy to convert to almost any format!

I am not sure what the IPad supports.

Heh, the iphone and ipad do not support flash and there has been much news in the media talking about this.

NO Flash for Apple's little devices!!!

They fail to include the most important reason in there: that allowing flash on there would allow people to bypass the almighty app store.

The 'performance' excuses are bull. Advise ipad owners that it might decrease performance, but let your users do what they #### well please with their own devices.

That's not the Apple way. They like their closed garden very much...

It has nothing to do with the App Store. It has to do with Flash being a buggy POS. It's outdated tech that has developed far passed it's original intent (I used to develop in it). Running Flash based content on any platform or browser slows it down and causes stability problems. Some things, like simple streaming video, are fairly harmless. Other things, like web sites written completely in Flash, crash browsers on a very frequent basis.

It's also a VERY closed platform, and has been since Adobe squired Macromedia, the originator of Flash. If Adobe was serious about making Flash better, they'd open it up. And spare us the "Apple iPhone/iPad is closed" argument...it's completely different.

If Flash was as great as Adobe advertises, how come Flash Mobile 10.1 is so delayed?

As an aside, I also believe that Steve Jobs is taking a bit of revenge on Adobe for their treatment of the Mac platform over the years. And I think that's hilarious.

Adobe and Apple used to be joined at the hip. I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm not a huge Apple person either...

This has to do with both the quality of Flash AND Apple wanting to keep their little ecosystem to themselves.... Anyone can see that!

Adobe and Apple used to be joined at the hip. I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm not a huge Apple person either...

This has to do with both the quality of Flash AND Apple wanting to keep their little ecosystem to themselves.... Anyone can see that!

I thought I read somewhere that the company that provides the video service for DCI is now able to broadcast movies on HTML5. If so then there is hope...

• Like 1

The fan network is fine like it is. Lets just hope all the folks who rushed out to get the newest toy from Apple were smart enough to keep a real computer around.

• Like 1

I think it's pretty clear that HTML5 is the future, but just because Brightcove says they have it does not mean it's a simple "check that box to add it." I would imagine that even if it could just be turned on, you still have to write sniffers, interfaces, etc. etc.

But I doubt anyone *doesn't* want to go that way. After that, which codec do you choose? Ogg, h.264, or the upcoming open-sourced VP8?