Drum Corps Parade on Finals Day

25 corps marching on Saturday? During Open Class Finals? Nice way to distract more fans from the Open Class Championships!

• Like 1

25 corps marching on Saturday? During Open Class Finals? Nice way to distract more fans from the Open Class Championships!

Uh, you've missed the various press releases from DCI and the topics on DCP from a number of months ago that Open Class Finals is earlier in the week up in Michigan City (at the request of the Open Class directors), with the Open Class corps coming down to Indianapolis to participate with the World Class corps in an open Quarterfinals, allowing the highest scoring corps to go all the way to World Class Finals if they scored high enough in Quarterfinals and Semifinals.

So, no, the 25 corps will NOT be marching during Open Class Finals, fans will NOT be distracted from the Open Class Championships by the parade and DCI does not hate the Open Class corps.

But perhaps it's my fault for allowing facts to get in the way of a diatribe.

• Like 2

A parade was also my first introduction to drumcorps.

Mine too. I was 7 years old when I heard the Cadets of Bergen County march through my town for Memorial Day and that was the day I decided I wanted to do that.

Well, what would be the reason, then?

OK, we're about the same age. Don't worry about why celebrating as who is paying for it. :tongue: And how bad we'll feel the next day.

Reading the rest of the posts I'm on the line about this:

Plus side: (coming from a guy who has done 50 or so parades since coming back) Parades are the best way to present DC to people who have never been exposed to it before. Biggest problem is making sure people know that they are seeing a corps and not some band that doesn't march woodwinds. And with DCI age marchers yer gonna hear "What school are you from?". Heavens knows we hear it and our members are aged teenage to 70+.

Minus side: Wouldn't Indy area people already know that Drum Corps is in town? Especially since it's "Here we go again" for so many years in a row. Also having made Finals 3 out or 8 years competing I know the "Prelims over - my season's over" feeling.

Weighing both sides I'd say to the members. Yeah it sucks personally, but suck it up for the activities sake and do that last parade gig. This one isn't for you, it's for the activitys future.

LOL keep seeing whiteroses name and have to remind myself it's not a York, PA White Roses alum.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

...Minus side: Wouldn't Indy area people already know that Drum Corps is in town? Especially since it's "Here we go again" for so many years in a row.

They will likely know drum corps is in town, but this is their only chance to see corps for free. And when it comes to spectators, everyone loves a parade. Maybe some of their children will see the advertising and ask their parents to take them to see the parade, and the parents will do so because it's free. What comes after that is just something we can hope for.

I must be in the minority then, I greatly enjoyed doing parades. During a show we (I) had few opportunities to see how the crowd is reacting, during a parade the crowd reaction was immediate and visible to the members... and was always favorable. People really do love parades.

Sounds like a mighty good reason to me.

you must have been in the hornline

Parades were a ##### for the drumline since we had to play the whole time, and if you've ever done the NFL Hall of Fame Parade in Canton which is 5 miles long you'd understand why I was never a big fan of parades.

Parades were never that much fun especially doing 2-3 a day on a hot humid day, but they were sure great free PR for drum corps.

Edited by bstar82

Garfield can play Elk's Parade from 1980 and 81...

My understanding is that corps such as Garfield (or whatever they call themselves this year), will likely not be marching the parade. They are too good....