Drum Corps Parade on Finals Day

It's about routine. Show days have a specific progression that happens that ends up with you on the field performing, and it's the same every time (for the most part). Changing that routine the day of the most important show of the year is a bad idea.

Bearing in mind of course that the "routine" would be changed for everyone if the finalists corps were required to do the parade. Why do some folks want to treat these WC corps members like prima ballerinas. This is essentially a marching band competition. Again, march the #### parade and GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!

Yes it MOST certainly is. However why should the finals corps be exempt? They are the ones who are raking in the proceeds. Get out there and parade for the locals and the fans! And all this concern about the parade affecting the night show finalists is just plain silly. Since when can't a talented group of teens and twenty-somethings not walk for a mile or two and play four or five tunes? Get over yourselves!

I agree most on here need to get over themselves. During my short duration on this site I've read lots of complaints about how DCI is no longer fan friendly, and here they are attempting to do something fan friendly and DCP complains. LOL.

I'm not sure how the money works out, but are the top 12 the only corps that get paid for Finals? Do corps even get paid for the last 1-3 shows during finals week? If these shows are paid, the top 12 should be out there in the parade, since they are the ones who will benefit from increased exposure. Alternatively, the corps that are marching in the parade could be compensated for the parade.

I wonder how much other stuff they will have to get for this parade. You probably cannot line up 25 drum corps right behind each other, yea? That would probably be a clusterf***

edit: this is a good idea on the whole though. I fully support it. I hated parades when I marched (esp Bunker Hill). The 2nd year it was better b/c our parade song has a part where we chilled and clapped along, so my hand didn't do numb nearly as much as the first year.

Edited by soccerguy315

I know parades can be a pain because of the heat... trust me wool unis are NOT fun to march in when it's hot (oh highschool...) but when you and everyone else treats the parade like a competition, personally, that's when I felt the most at home in my uniform.

Maybe it's because I was in front, but I really felt like I could project myself a lot more. Maybe it was because I was out in the open and exposed and I wasn't used to it back then so my "survival-performance" instinct kicked in and I absolutely beasted parades.. and being really close to all that applause really made me want to max it out even more, so yeah. The fun from the applause and being exposed and performing made up for the heat.

• Like 1

For me, parades were fun. Then again, for me, the lot was the epitome of drum corps. Performing was AMAZING but when I think drum corps, I think the lot.

Even still, semifinals is how I'd want to go out as a marching member if the corps wasn't going to make finals.

News flash for you my friend, without the fans, the activity doesn't exist. DCI should be doing EVERYTHING it can to be more about the fans, and if that means a drum corps has to march a parade (God forbid) then so be it. SO many fan friendly things have been set aside with very little reasoning IMO. Full retreats with all the brass playing together, drumlines playing cadences of the field and trooping the stands (props to Pio), etc...

I encourage you to look at my follow-up post, where I clarified my position by stating I am for the idea of the parade, I believe DCI should do more audience-friendly events, and those who have to participate should be proud to represent their corps.

also, I chose my user ID randomly late one night, but I do get the York, PA White Roses reference every once in a while :smile:

It won't involve corps performing that day.

"My competitive season is over and you want me to stick around for a parade? I've got band camp, work, etc. to get back too."

"No top 12 will be in it? No thanks."

Schedule it on Wednesday so all corps can march. And guess what DCI, you and the corps can make more money if more people come a day or two earlier because of the parade.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

I encourage you to look at my follow-up post, where I clarified my position by stating I am for the idea of the parade, I believe DCI should do more audience-friendly events, and those who have to participate should be proud to represent their corps.

also, I chose my user ID randomly late one night, but I do get the York, PA White Roses reference every once in a while :smile:

Hopefully I'm not the only one making the reference... :tongue:

Read Mike Boos response to me a while back and had time to think on it. Hey, couldn't hurt to get more DC interest in the (Indy) area... make that in ANY area.

And seeing the audience-friendly events above reminds me about DCAs free I&E and Mini corps Friday night of DCA weekend. Not sure if we get locals who are not going to the show. But when the drum ensembles are performing and Minis are preping in a huge blocked off area downtown, it's hard not to notice. :w00t: The local media sure report on it.

PS - For members who don't like the idea. Have seen posts on what DC has given people. Well.... here's a chance to give BACK to the activity.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Read Mike Boo's response to me a while back and had time to think on it. Hey, couldn't hurt to get more DC interest in the (Indy) area... make that in ANY area.

I'm advocating we focus on the people coming to town to celebrate your birthday. And if we can get them each to contribute a dollar to a special fund, we can pay the fuel costs for every corps bus and truck to make it home afterwards! (Remember: I prefer white cake with chocolate frosting.)

I'm advocating we focus on the people coming to town to celebrate your birthday. And if we can get them each to contribute a dollar to a special fund, we can pay the fuel costs for every corps bus and truck to make it home afterwards! (Remember: I prefer white cake with chocolate frosting.)

LMAO.... then mention I'm not there (half the country away) and they might kick in another buck.

Always glad to help.... :tongue:

Edit: We'll have a few of our members there. Wouldn't that surprise the stuffin' out of them. :blink:

Edited by JimF-LowBari