How do we save Drum Corps

I really don't care at all about the number of kids competing in MB. I only care about the numbers of kids out there competing in Drum Corps. And the numbers today of marchers competing in Drum Corps is sadly way down today compared with earlier decades.

Doesn't matter to me if it is drum corps or marching band. The experience the kids get is what matters more to me, and since so many more compete today than in my era, I'll take today.

• Like 2

I was reading an article on Boy Scouts and it said it was 1/2 the amount of members today than in 1972 and was it relevant anymore. Although many dont like hearing this I think with all kids have today and the so many choices, the civic groups, church groups, etc etc pretty much gone drum corps is doing pretty well.

Exactly, all the mainline (read Presbyterian, Methodist, Episcopal, Lutheran, Catholic, Mainline Baptist, etc.) churches are 1/2 to 1/3 of the numbers they had at their height, which was the mid-sixties. VFW, American Legion, Shriners, Elks, Optimists, Lions Clubs (not to mention the Elks, Order of the Odd Fellows, and on and on) are in the same, if not worse boats. Ever notice how the Shriners who are in those little cars are all in their 70's at least? Interestingly the Rotary Club is having an explosion of membership...in China. Little Leagues are going out of business everywhere. The reason most often given is that the social pressure to belong and conform was a product of post-war America and all of us who had the "Question Authority" bumperstickers are responsible. Interestingly, more people report having community consciousness and being spiritual than ever before. With all of that said, I think it is amazing that marching bands and drum corps are flourishing at the level they are.

Edited by dapperpoet
  • Like 1

Brasso, Guardling, and Mike D all have some interesting points that put things in context.

Kids do have more choices today, so more traditional activities have seen a decline. It's also true that more kids may be marching today, but as Brasso points out it's not in drum corps. It's also not during the traditional time of competition due to school schedules. Marching bands are also not as healthy in areas where drum corps were once strong, at least not in the northeast. However, the post is not about the health of marching bands, in particular high school marching bands, it's about "saving" drum corps.

This year DCI turns 40. Chances are we will see video clips of an old school favorite, the 1974 Anaheim Kingsmen and their graceful and majestic rifle line. We'll also likely see video clips of last year's Carolina Crown. I love and appreciate both. I also don't get into whether one is better than the other. Both are examples of excellence and both will stand the test of time among drum corps lovers. There are times I watch early Legacy DVD's and think about today's shows and am impressed with how the activity has evolved. I also watch more recent DVD's and can't help but think we've also lost things too. It may be a matter of preference, I'm a Key of G, traditional guard guy, though not a rigid one. I do admire creativity and while I miss the Key of G sound, I don't miss corps or numbers that are horribly out of tune.

We've looked at finances in these posts. we've also looked at old school/new school debates, and just about every other topic, but if we're discussing saving drum corps, have we ever asked what is essential to drum corps? The unique aspects of a drum corps is the selling point. Is it a communal activity, and is there a place for smaller, imperfect corps, or is excellence the definition? Is it an activity for all, or is it a showcase of the top tier of musicians? Is it a marching and music program only, or are other life lessons important for the activity? Should we just have different levels based on size and ability, or should there also be categories for different style corps?

I don't ask these questions to start a posting battle. If we want to save something, we have to know what we are saving. So, what's essential for drum corps and once identified, how do we preserve it or reinstate it?

Permit me to contend otherwise by pointing out that "back then" the activity was flourishing; one only needs to count the numbers. The product being put out today, rings or no rings, is boring to the general public and to potential new recruits.

Define in your own words, a show that would not be boring. What are the mechanisms that make a show exciting? What design elements create excitement in your mind? Define it instead of "putting baby in a corner".

Apparently the OP never went to many shows in the 70's, they were awful and really painful to sit through. There would be 8-10 corps per show, and they were boring. You had to watch for 2-3 hours to get to the two and if you were lucky, 3 top-6 corps at the very end of the night. If you had the 5th and 2nd best corps from last year, it was a good show.

However, I applaud the OP's call for "us" to save drum corps. I intend to do my part by going to all the shows I can get to this summer, and then buy some souvies and yet another pair of drum sticks with corps names on them. :cool:

+++

Edit: I just checked the dates; I just replied to a post which is is A YEAR AND A HALF OLD! :w00t:

I went to shows in the 70's. There were in many cases more corps than you had at shows now, and many of them were pretty #### good for the standards of the day.

• Like 1

1. Corps must return to recruiting local members, not music majors who are 1000+ miles away from the corps home base.

2. Corps seem to have lost touch with their local communities. These local ties need to be strong, which will also help local recruiting.

3. Corps need musicians as program directors & show designers. The music needs to be the primary focus, the visual/guard is complimentary.

4. Many corps uniforms look ridiculous. Corps who look like they are wearing a costume do not look good. There is too much guard influence in corps unis for my taste.

5. Require every corps to do a park & blow "concert" number.

6. No more high brow ultra complex symphonic a-million-notes-a-minute crap. Leave the customers whistling & tapping their feet.

That is all...

Doesn't matter to me if it is drum corps or marching band. The experience the kids get is what matters more to me, and since so many more compete today than in my era, I'll take today.

two very different experiences.

1. Corps must return to recruiting local members, not music majors who are 1000+ miles away from the corps home base.

2. Corps seem to have lost touch with their local communities. These local ties need to be strong, which will also help local recruiting.

3. Corps need musicians as program directors & show designers. The music needs to be the primary focus, the visual/guard is complimentary.

4. Many corps uniforms look ridiculous. Corps who look like they are wearing a costume do not look good. There is too much guard influence in corps unis for my taste.

5. Require every corps to do a park & blow "concert" number.

6. No more high brow ultra complex symphonic a-million-notes-a-minute crap. Leave the customers whistling & tapping their feet.

That is all...

1) There is no reason that corps can't recruit locally and globally

2) Many corps have strong "local" fund raising initiatives

3) I won't argue this one. I completely agree

4) Again, I agree

5) People can see plenty of "park and blow" during warm ups at the shows

6) I have heard and seen many shows as of recent, that had a million notes and people still went away whistling

two very different experiences.

No, it is not really a very different experience. Local corps of my day and local competitive bands of today are pretty much the same, only an average band today is much better than the small local corps used to be.