Restructuring the DCI BOD

Is there, um... maybe a better way to phrase that?

Really? As purposely offensive you have been with your sarcasm, you want a better phraseology? Fine, it is now changed to *bantering*.

Edited by Stu

Corps don't fill seats....DCI does.

Let me explain what I mean. I've seen how fans behave for decades. When Carolina Crown was placing 16th, they weren't filling all the seats. When they were contending for the top spots, the seats filled in. The 5th-place Madison Scouts fill far more seats then the 15th-place Madison Scouts. The 15th-place Madison Scouts filled roughly the same number of seats as any other 15th-place corps. Seats don't fill up simply for "the Madison Scouts" or "Carolina Crown"....they fill up for whomever is on top at any given moment.

If the 2012 season sees Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Teal Sound, Cascades, Jersey Surf and Pioneer as the dominating top six, the seats will be fullest when they are performing, and some fans will skip the performances of Cadets/Blue Devils/Cavaliers/Crown/PR/SCV to go watch Crest/Mandarins/Teal/Cascades/Surf/Pioneer in the lot.

The current occupants of the top DCI spots want you to believe that "the draw" is:

Cadets

Blue Devils

Cavaliers

Crown

PR

SCV

Bluecoats

In reality, "the draw" is:

DCI 1st place

DCI 2nd place

DCI 3rd place

DCI 4th place

DCI 5th place

DCI 6th place

DCI 7th place

i think we said the same thing..BUT DCI are corps or the corps its not something seperate...so whoever is top dogs they are still the corps

Jeff: You know that I have been pounding bantering away with Danielray, so this is a rarity. You stated that people would not want to purchase tickets at a music fest to see corps the way they pay to see a top rock band. I agree with you! What I am talking about is having small solos and small ensembles perform on those small free-stages of entertainment placed sporadically throughout the booth areas at *arts* fests; or a few roaming small ensembles to interact with the folks strolling around the festival grounds. If DCI placed their contests in areas in conjunction with those arts fests, I really think this type of idea would become productive.

ok but we're talking about ways to increase revenue. How is that going to draw people to a show where they can pay to see it and bring in more revenue?

A corps doing a standstill isn't likely to bring in more people, so how will small groups and ensembles do it?

ok but we're talking about ways to increase revenue. How is that going to draw people to a show where they can pay to see it and bring in more revenue?

A corps doing a standstill isn't likely to bring in more people, so how will small groups and ensembles do it?

Ok, provided that the free-stage can accommodate an entire corps, or an entire corps can perform entertainment on the ground in between booths, that would work. And I am talking about fun teaser Stomp, Blast, Blue Man type stuff here as well as one or two serious contest pieces (I would stay away from a parade type performance because that conjures up the stigma that corps are nothing more than the same ole parade units like all other parade units throughout history). Remember, we are talking about intimate interaction with people with teaser type stuff and then offering them discounted tickets to the *real* show which is the contest. It would also be a blast, full pun intended, for the performers! Sometimes you have to perform small things for free to sell the big things for revenue. And, two tickets sold at $40 certainly brings in more revenue than one ticket sold at $30, and it also places more butts in the seats. Where is the downside (other than missing a little rehearsal time)?

Edited by Stu

I think that Daniel, Stu, and Garfield should start ther own forum. They could call it NBC.com

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

I think that Daniel, Stu, and Garfield should start ther own forum. They could call it NBC.com

I'm sure this is funny or sarcastic, but I don't get it. What's the connection to NBC? (I don't watch network TV)

And what about audiodb and Jeff? They aren't sinister or sardonic enough?

Geesh. An exclusive club! My first!

Edited by garfield

Ok, provided that the free-stage can accommodate an entire corps, or an entire corps can perform entertainment on the ground in between booths, that would work. And I am talking about fun teaser Stomp, Blast, Blue Man type stuff here as well as one or two serious contest pieces (I would stay away from a parade type performance because that conjures up the stigma that corps are nothing more than the same ole parade units like all other parade units throughout history). Remember, we are talking about intimate interaction with people with teaser type stuff and then offering them discounted tickets to the *real* show which is the contest. It would also be a blast, full pun intended, for the performers! Sometimes you have to perform small things for free to sell the big things for revenue. And, two tickets sold at $40 certainly brings in more revenue than one ticket sold at $30, and it also places more butts in the seats. Where is the downside (other than missing a little rehearsal time)?

ok however......

offering last minute discounted tickets to people gives them a shot at lousy seats...

or seats in the middle you hold back that don't get sold.

trust me, sitting on the 10 doesnt inspire people to come again

I'm sure this is funny or sarcastic, but I don't get it. What's the connection to NBC? (I don't watch network TV)

And what about audiodb and Jeff? They aren't sinister or sardonic enough?

Geesh. An exclusive club! My first!

I'm more Fox news...blunt to the point of annoyance

:tongue: