George Hopkins

Narration and sampling are great examples.

um people still sample. and narration was canned because sampling was added..much easier to press a button

It wasn't your story I was referring to. Also, I didn't mean to imply that we should only respond when we think that's what the kids want. Moreso that we should help and encourage kids to be the best they can be. Most importantly, though, show designers should create products that lead to the kinds of magical responses that make any artistic endeavor rewarding. I don't think respectful pity applause rises to that level, but maybe I'm wrong.

OK, I wasn't sure mainly cuz I'm old :tongue: and can't remember everything that everyone has said here. And didn't think you were implying the audience should do what the member think. Re-reading my response I can see why you might have thought that.

Good discussion...

Impending doom is one of my favorite discussion about drum corps, and has been for over 30 years. :tongue:

That said, Dan, you learned well from Hop. If, at first, your argument doesn't sell, change the discussion and try a different approach.

This sounds an awful lot like the discussion to reduce WC to 7 or 8 corps we had months ago. Except this time it's not about money, it's about reeds.

What happens when clarinet-player Suzie youth band member wants to graduate up to the big leagues? Won't she have to learn a horn, flag, or drum anyway?

Isn't that the basic premise of allowing reeds in the first place?

The irony is dripping in here...

Instrumentation is not preventing anyone that has a genuine desire from participating in most drum corps. If you genuinely want to do it, you pick up a different instrument.

Instrumentation only impacts participation potential for those who would more likely participate if it was a bit easier for them (more local, less expensive, less demanding).

The argument here is not about growing the activity on the top tier of WC by adding woodwinds. Again, those kids who have what it takes to participate figure it out, regardless of what their primary instrument is.

The argument is to grow the segment of the activity that is less demanding (from both performance and touring) and more accessible to those youth who would like to participate in some way without the level of commitment required for extensive touring. For these groups, woodwinds make a hell of a lot of sense.

The idea of having youth bands perform and be judged at shows is not anything revolutionary or even close to new. Back in my day, Spirit of Sunnyvale used to perform at a lot of shows. A lot of kids from there went on to march SCV, BD, VK, Freelancers... but a lot were fully content with their youth band experience.

Anyway, the more I think about this... it makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Why not?

I envision a show about sampling narration; the act of sampling the narration would then be narrated and sampled for playback effect. It would be the first recursive drum corps show. I would then write about writing about it.

If they were creating the samples live and building the show Reggie Watts-style on the fly and on the field, I may not think it was great drum corps, but I would give them mad props for the performance and for actually using their "instrument" live on the field. Whereas the performance of BD's sampled narration, not so technically impressive... :ph34r:

Edited by skywhopper

The argument is to grow the segment of the activity that is less demanding (from both performance and touring) and more accessible to those youth who would like to participate in some way without the level of commitment required for extensive touring. For these groups, woodwinds make a hell of a lot of sense.

Don't we have this? I think it's called called high-school and college marching band.

I envision a show about sampling narration; the act of sampling the narration would then be narrated and sampled for playback effect. It would be the first recursive drum corps show. I would then write about writing about it.

Wouldn't that be redundant.... again...?

Gad... there's a computer programming term "recursive loops". Means the code does the same thing over and over....

Having known George for almost 30 years, he will always try and push the envelope. No, woodwinds don't belong in drum corps. Neither does electronics and Bb brass, and it needs to stop somewhere. Corps are not "Drum and Bugle Corps" anymore. Heck, they don't even call themselves that anymore. Read the trucks.....Cadets Drum Corps (not drum and bugle corps).

I am tired of the arrogance to what the activity was, and should be to a point. If you want a band, form a band and leave DCI. Heck the top directors have already tried that with this Tour of Champions thing. Make drum corps accessible for the average kid, not the college music major with $5000 to spare. Sorry gang, it has gone too far.

NEVER LET WOODWINDS IN DCI, unless you want more marching bands. 'nuff said.

• Like 4

Having known George for almost 30 years, he will always try and push the envelope. No, woodwinds don't belong in drum corps. Neither does electronics and Bb brass, and it needs to stop somewhere. Corps are not "Drum and Bugle Corps" anymore. Heck, they don't even call themselves that anymore. Read the trucks.....Cadets Drum Corps (not drum and bugle corps).

I am tired of the arrogance to what the activity was, and should be to a point. If you want a band, form a band and leave DCI. Heck the top directors have already tried that with this Tour of Champions thing. Make drum corps accessible for the average kid, not the college music major with $5000 to spare. Sorry gang, it has gone too far.

NEVER LET WOODWINDS IN DCI, unless you want more marching bands. 'nuff said.

ever do DCI, a tour...although its very expensive what other activity can you have livingn expenses, transportation, food, instruction, transportation for almost 3 months....I have a niece in competitive dance and spends over a grand for 1 weekend trip sometimes.

Not saying I like the thought of WWs but who says it has to stay the same. I teach now but was a member BITD and change is good and as far as being called drum and BUGLE there hasnt been bugles for quite some time so maybe everyone should drop the bugle part if you want tp be techinical.what also made the activity accessible bitd also had to do with community based programs which dont exsist now or very few of them and of course cost.

• Like 1

You know, I feel that string quartets could really use a boost in popularity. I was thinking about adding electric guitars and amps...it would help connect to a different audience and help increase attendance. But I wonder if adding electronic guitars and amps would adversely affect attendance from people who like string quartets just the way they are?

How popular were the guys from Kronos when they were doing only more traditional repertoire?

Adding all these thing you are talking about caused their ticket sales and recording revenues to go through the roof. Something to be learned here, no?