When did the terminology change?

I was watching a Crown rehearsal the other day, and, being from Bluecoats '93 and '94, I yelled out something like "the sops just killed it"...I had a few people give me a look like WTF? lol...

Get over yourself drum corps is very similar to marching band.

"Similar" does not mean "the same". Girl Scouts don't join the Brownies and Boy Scouts don't join the Cub Scouts.

Thanks for the replies. I always associated a tuba with something you slip your head through and it wraps around you, and a contra as being over your shoulder, with the exception being Jacksonville State Univeristy which marches 20J's.

Actually you're talking about a Sousaphone.

This is a traditional tuba on the march: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EuphoniumAndTuba_wb.jpg

This is a contrabass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Contrabugle.jpg

the difference being the lead pipe and which way it turns.

This is a Sousaphone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Santaclaus2007_Sousaphone_dsc112.jpg

You need a LOT of help with your verbiage! :tongue:

Thanks for the replies. I always associated a tuba with something you slip your head through and it wraps around you, and a contra as being over your shoulder, with the exception being Jacksonville State Univeristy which marches 20J's.

20Js--yes!

IMO, I don't think it's any more incorrect to refer to the instruments as sopranos, etc. now than it was when they were still keyed in G. To me, those terms were more in reference to the instruments' respective choir voicing and not their key. (Which I suppose would've made some sense in the days of true bugles.) I always thought it was more of a tradition holdover because we'd stopped playing true bugles years before the change from G was even allowed. Call 'em whatever you want, as far as I'm concerned. Hell, even the names of certain car makes can be used. :satisfied:

• Like 1

Going back to the 70s and 80s, there was a bigger difference between band and corps. But now, DCI has evolved to become more and more like band. That's not an insult. It's the result of a series of rules changes by the DCI boards of directors over the years. What's left? Woodwinds, trombones and Sousaphones? Once they are in, the transition to marching band will be complete.

1372551840[/url]' post='3276536']

But a trumpet is a trumpet and a tuba is a tuba, whether they are used in marching band or in drum corps.

Drum corps can be classified as bands. There is no set instrumentation for a band.

Going back to the 70s and 80s, there was a bigger difference between band and corps. But now, DCI has evolved to become more and more like band. That's not an insult. It's the result of a series of rules changes by the DCI boards of directors over the years. What's left? Woodwinds, trombones and Sousaphones? Once they are in, the transition to marching band will be complete.

Aren't Sousaphones allowed under the rules--brass, 3 valves, and bell-front?