Cadets 2017

I have similar concerns with both Crown and Cadets. Brass/Percussion will be fine with both groups but the unknowns with visual/guard/overall design for both are a wait and see. I honestly don't think crown alumni will step in and Crownguard will pick up where they left off and Jeff writes great drill but that's not enough anymore (Cadets 2015). Drill writer for Cadets, again great success in DCA but unproven in DCI and the guard program is in Year 2 after a tough Year 1.  Both of these corps should be competitive but questions remain. Definitely agree that Cadets were getting very stale and Crown 2016 although very proficient was a yawn for me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, corpsband said:

fwiw i too feel a bit of your wait and see attitude about the upcoming season.

while crown lost the guard staff, the rest of visual design was getting a bit stale.    i feel pretty good about the replacements and im pretty optimistic about things in fort mill.   i am really excited to see what Jeff does -- not just drill but his conceptual contributions.   and the guard staff is going to surprise a lot of doubters.   

imo cadets are a bigger question.  bobby has done amazing work with Reading but DCA is most definitely not DCI.   you just don't know how people work out until they make the jump.  i'm actually pretty optimistic on the design side IF a particular someone gives the team the space they need to work.  perhaps chronic micro managers should just limit themselves to being tour directors.  if the design is not interfered with, i think the cadets should bounce right back.  yes gino was great in front a of brass line but so are others.  and tom is not only a great drum guy,  he is an exceptional guy from am ensemble stand point -- a true educator.   

there's reason for hope.  but i also think a healthy wait-and-see attitude is justified as well. 

As usual, you're always a needed voice of reason. 

Edited by 2000Cadet

5 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I have similar concerns with both Crown and Cadets. Brass/Percussion will be fine with both groups but the unknowns with visual/guard/overall design for both are a wait and see. I honestly don't think crown alumni will step in and Crownguard will pick up where they left off and Jeff writes great drill but that's not enough anymore (Cadets 2015). Drill writer for Cadets, again great success in DCA but unproven in DCI and the guard program is in Year 2 after a tough Year 1.  Both of these corps should be competitive but questions remain. Definitely agree that Cadets were getting very stale and Crown 2016 although very proficient was a yawn for me. 

you should realize that the CrownGuard has not been left "in the hands of alumni."  you might want to look at the staff list again.  yes -- joey marched at crown.  but that staff is FAR deeper and more experienced than you're making it sound. and  -- fwiw --- the old staff was almost entirely -- you guessed it -- crown alumni :colgate:  so even if it were just a bunch of alumni, you might have quite a staff on your hands.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, corpsband said:

you should realize that the CrownGuard has not been left "in the hands of alumni."  you might want to look at the staff list again.  yes -- joey marched at crown.  but that staff is FAR deeper and more experienced than you're making it sound. and  -- fwiw --- the old staff was almost entirely -- you guessed it -- crown alumni :colgate:  so even if it were just a bunch of alumni, you might have quite a staff on your hands.

We'll see. Crown lost a lot of those design gurus. I'm sure they'll stay in the 3-5 range but losing top guard designer  (and many members) in today's DCI is big. A great drill and brass is nice but again that could be a whopping 4th place (Cadets 2015 won brass, almost won percussion, had Jeff's drill) and couldn't even medal. Scary realities of the new WGI/DCI.

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

We'll see. Crown lost a lot of those design gurus. I'm sure they'll stay in the 3-5 range but losing top guard designer  (and many members) in today's DCI is big. A great drill and brass is nice but again that could be a whopping 4th place (Cadets 2015 won brass, almost won percussion, had Jeff's drill) and couldn't even medal. Scary realities of the new WGI/DCI.

Not gonna argue Michael Townsend is a true talent.  IMO  Potter and May were responsible for as many gaffs as gems.  Heck even loyal Crown honks have been calling for Leon's head for quite some time. And while Keith did some really great work, he also gave us trampolines and a one-sided stagecoach that forced a number of very awkward design compromises.  And while Team Indiana has been seduced to the witches cupboard,  quite a few members chose to remain with Crown.     I suspect CrownGuard's talent will not disappoint this season.  .  There's far more to being a member of Carolina Crown (or the Cadets ) than the name of staff member.   It is going to be a very interesting season. 

We will indeed see.

On 2/11/2017 at 10:57 PM, DrumManTx said:

And 2009...and 2012...and kinda 2013 for that matter. 

In 2013, I thought they singlehandledly redefined the role of a color guard in drum corps.

A color guard is supposed to be used, first and foremost, to push large towers around a football field. :tongue:

• Like 4

My personal concern with the staff changes is the inherent risk involved in any change

I think Crown should be fine - better than fine. The only thing in my mind is how the new "run and gun" drill guy meshes with the music guys, stylistically and in practice. I would imagine fine

With Cadets there's more flux the past 2 years - percussion should be very solid. Guard improved. The big questions are drill & to a lesser extent brass. I'm hoping brass takes a more musical approach, the drill book is a little more empty and the drill is effective and a bit fresh. We'll see!

Regarding off season hype - I haven't seen much of it in this thread at all. Probably a good thing

I agree with others than both corps (Cadets/Crown) seemed a tad "stale" in some ways (particularly Crown's drill and Cadets music books) and I'm hopeful all the changes will be positive and encourage some fresh approaches to the show design and teaching. Both corps seem to be having solid winters.

21 hours ago, MikeD said:

Well, we ARE close to Valentine's day, so...

free-vector-sweet-strawberry-jam-04-vect

Love those chocolate-covered strawberries when the berries are in season in the Delmarva area.

Not so much during the off-season when the berries are from elsewhere, like California. Compared to the local variety, those berries taste like cardboard.  LOL.

• Like 1

You know we're in some serious need for hype when we're talking about Crown in a Cadets thread. #shakoofsilence  

• Like 1