Cadets 2017

Just now, George Dixon said:

Man I must have missed that

Was it the 1960s?

Could have been. I never got the whole "calling" a corps something bad, or wishing for them to do bad. To me, it just seems poor taste and childish to do such things. If certain groups do fade away and such like some people wish, it hurts the activity and takes away from the culture and history of DCI. And I for one do not want bad things to happen to the activity.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sandonovan said:

What happened to appreciating ALL corps? Wishing for something to happen to one group, or throwing shade at another, will just come to bite you later. IMO.

I try........I got a little touchy the first part of the season but last week ironed that out for me.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sandonovan said:

I don't see why people have to wish "X corps drops X far this year!" and then people respond with "Your X is so X, they're literally trash." etc. etc.

What happened to appreciating ALL corps? Wishing for something to happen to one group, or throwing shade at another, will just come to bite you later. IMO.

But, what do I know, I appreciate and like all corps. So. Yeah.

Great point. When I shell out $50 to see a show with anywhere from 8-20 corps, I want to be entertained for as much of the show as possible. So I hope everyone puts on a spectacular show AND I hope the Cadets get the highest score. This is not like Cowboys-Redskins where each side's fans hope their team crushes the others while the Eagles and Giants fans root for injuries. These are the best young brass players in the world and we are fortunate that they find it enjoyable to entertain us. 

Furthermore, the reason the great shows stay in our memory is that they were different (and well-executed). But guess what? In order to be different amazing, you have to risk being different and maybe not so amazing.  And if you fall into the latter category, you find yourself making changes to try to get to amazing - all the while recognizing that this is totally subjective and that as you please one person (say, by replacing a brass solo with vocals), you may disappoint another. So I want to see them take risks, and I want to see the kids lay it all out there. 

Thats why I pay $50 a ticket. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Sandonovan said:

Could have been. I never got the whole "calling" a corps something bad, or wishing for them to do bad. To me, it just seems poor taste and childish to do such things. If certain groups do fade away and such like some people wish, it hurts the activity and takes away from the culture and history of DCI. And I for one do not want bad things to happen to the activity.

Who is doing that here? What prompted your post?

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Who is doing that here? What prompted your post?

I more or less am mostly tired of thing sbeing said about the Cadets during a show (From what I've seen in the San Antonio of another threads) and other things being said about the other groups. Like people calling Boston's, or BS, show BOAish, etc.

3 minutes ago, Sandonovan said:

I more or less am mostly tired of thing sbeing said about the Cadets during a show (From what I've seen in the San Antonio of another threads) and other things being said about the other groups. Like people calling Boston's, or BS, show BOAish, etc.

Saying a show has BOA qualities isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just is what it is

Go to the Phantom thread and the BOA reference isn't used in a good way, especially when referring to a staff member.

• Like 3