2017 Programs & Playlist:

Just now, corpsband said:

While there's truth in the statement (the corps  do exist to serve the students) it's also true that without fans attending shows,  most of the corps rapidly cease to exist.    A few (those with income streams that exist completely independent of the drum corps) might be able to exist but would have virtually no venues in which to perform.  I guess they could do parades.

But make no mistake: drum corps is beholden to their fans.  One year of boycotting DCI shows would probably shut the doors at DCI and most of the corps.

While I consider myself of those who "want to know", boycotting a show because a corps won't announce their show is kinda a tool move. My friend told me that the fans are DCI's customers, which is true but also untrue. Corps that will host shows make a profit off of those, and without the funds (fans) of those shows, the corps will be in deep doodoo real fast. I do like though what 777hornman said though, the corps should respect us, we go to the shows, cheer them on, buy merch and even sometimes donate to them. To say that the fans play no part in the drum corps world is just pure bogus. 

• Like 1

Just now, sagemode67 said:

While I consider myself of those who "want to know", boycotting a show because a corps won't announce their show is kinda a tool move. My friend told me that the fans are DCI's customers, which is true but also untrue. Corps that will host shows make a profit off of those, and without the funds (fans) of those shows, the corps will be in deep doodoo real fast. I do like though what 777hornman said though, the corps should respect us, we go to the shows, cheer them on, buy merch and even sometimes donate to them. To say that the fans play no part in the drum corps world is just pure bogus. 

You've missed the point.  It doesn't matter why fans would boycott shows (and no one has suggested that late announcements are valid reason to do so); the point is -- the corps and DCI are entirely dependent on the revenue from fans.  Heck just cancel the regionals and DCI is in a sticky wicket.   As for the fans being "DCI's customers", that's not true at all.  Most shows are NOT run by DCI.  They're run by independent organizations (including some by the corps themselves).   The fans are customers of the entire activity -- not just DCI.

Just now, corpsband said:

You've missed the point.  It doesn't matter why fans would boycott shows (and no one has suggested that late announcements are valid reason to do so); the point is -- the corps and DCI are entirely dependent on the revenue from fans.  Heck just cancel the regionals and DCI is in a sticky wicket.   As for the fans being "DCI's customers", that's not true at all.  Most shows are NOT run by DCI.  They're run by independent organizations (including some by the corps themselves).   The fans are customers of the entire activity -- not just DCI.

I got the point, but I did get a little off track. He is in Dayton right now doing to the broadcast for WGI, i'll bring this up with him when he is done. 

5 minutes ago, sagemode67 said:

I got the point, but I did get a little off track. He is in Dayton right now doing to the broadcast for WGI, i'll bring this up with him when he is done. 

If the kid's were truly the "customer" in the overall scheme of things,  their dues would be $1.5m / 150 = $10,000 per member per season!  

Edited by corpsband

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

At face value I agree with you....but there is some truth here in what is said as well..although I don't necessarily agree with the logic that is presented here at all...

Good point, and I agree.

Customers:

There are a lot of stakeholders in a drum corps. Big corps are dependent on Fans, Members, Volunteers, Alumni and Staff. Even the corps with bingo and other sources of income rely on some combination of those five groups to make it happen. Any one of those could collectively "boycott" the corps and effectively maim, if not kill it. Any perspective that disregards this collective nature seems a little myopic.

Announcements:

As one who obviously gets a little involved in program and music announcements, I do understand that I am not the typical Fan (or Alumni, or Volunteer). Those of us that are thirsty enough for details to be involved in this thread are a subset of a subset of this activity. I think one person on DCP has claimed hedging on ticket commitments based on current programming vagueness. 

Are the fans being pushed away by this direction? Time will tell. But as an anecdote: Bluecoats have played this tease pretty effectively for going on four years now. Yet they are doing better than ever with fan interest and involvement. That is, if obscene lines at souvies and swag in the stands is any indicator. To be clear, I am not correlating their obfuscation with an uptick in fan interest. But it seems clear that it hasn't hurt them either. 

That being said, I would love more announcements. 

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Customers:

There are a lot of stakeholders in a drum corps. Big corps are dependent on Fans, Members, Volunteers, Alumni and Staff. Even the corps with bingo and other sources of income rely on some combination of those five groups to make it happen. Any one of those could collectively "boycott" the corps and effectively maim, if not kill it. Any perspective that disregards this collective nature seems a little myopic.

Announcements:

As one who obviously gets a little involved in program and music announcements, I do understand that I am not the typical Fan (or Alumni, or Volunteer). Those of us that are thirsty enough for details to be involved in this thread are a subset of a subset of this activity. I think one person on DCP has claimed hedging on ticket commitments based on current programming vagueness. 

Are the fans being pushed away by this direction? Time will tell. But as an anecdote: Bluecoats have played this tease pretty effectively for going on four years now. Yet they are doing better than ever with fan interest and involvement. That is, if obscene lines at souvies and swag in the stands is any indicator. To be clear, I am not correlating their obfuscation with an uptick in fan interest. But it seems clear that it hasn't hurt them either. 

That being said, I would love more announcements. 

Very well said!

DCI judges do not score any Corps based upon the levels of info a Corps gave the fans in the offseason. I think we can all agree on this here. So if the Bluecoats were secretive or gave us daily updates/ weekly videos, etc  in a preseason, in either case the judges could care less about that when it came to give them a scoring number at a summer's competition. So the choices that Corps make on deciding to go mostly mum in the offseason we can say with a level of certainty, has no effect at all on that Corps future scores and placements.

Edited by BRASSO

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

DCI judges do not score any Corps based upon the levels of info a Corps gave the fans in the offseason. I think we can all agree on this here. So if the Bluecoats were secretive or gave us daily updates/ weekly videos, etc  in a preseason, in either case the judges could care less about that when it came to give them a scoring number at a summer's competition. So the choices that Corps make on deciding to go mostly mum in the offseason we can say with a level of certainty, has no effect at all on that Corps future scores and placements.

I honestly think that corps don't believe this logic...otherwise why hide?

7 hours ago, Liahona said:

I honestly think that corps don't believe this logic...otherwise why hide?

Control freaks don't need a logical reason(s) for them to implement measures in attempts to control everything about an organization's info to the public.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1