2017 Programs & Playlist:

On 3/23/2017 at 11:54 PM, MikeRapp said:

Cadets' problems in 2016 had nothing to do with when they announced, but what they announced.

More so with the amount of changes the show undertook, but that's getting a bit off topic. 

I really don't care when corps announce their shows (audition season at the earliest). It shouldn't have much of an effect on the show scores. Now audience reception, that's a different story 

Pro Announcements have nothing to do with the competitive process.

They ARE however fun and exciting for the FANS, 

the people who pay money to see the shows .

• Like 1

I see someone's signature line with the Southwind 2017shown above/below. I have also seen a blurb on the DCA side with Cadets 2 doing their show based on "Appalachian Spring" with "Appalachian Morning" by Paul Winter added into the show. If these are correct, I have updated my Rhapsody/Napster playlist for all who would like to hear the source music.  You can find it under Drum Corps 2017 and it includes both DCI and DCA source music that has been identified as of today.

And no, I didn't fall for the SCV April First announcement.  However, I have to give them credit on a well developed prank.

16195808_1702686350044108_90873531094544

Edited by Old Corps Guy

On 4/2/2017 at 1:55 PM, 777hornman said:

Pro Announcements have nothing to do with the competitive process.

They ARE however fun and exciting for the FANS, 

the people who pay money to see the shows .

Someone tried to argue with me that the corps really don't cater to the fans, they cater towards potential members, not the fans. Corps have no reason to announce shows because its all people who just want to know, who they don't need to serve.

25 minutes ago, sagemode67 said:

Someone tried to argue with me that the corps really don't cater to the fans, they cater towards potential members, not the fans. Corps have no reason to announce shows because its all people who just want to know, who they don't need to serve.

I'm curious about this incident. Was this a corps member, staff member, admin? I'm in the group of people that believes that corps often times alienate themselves from the fans for various reasons, and sometimes not intending to, but I don't think there are any corps out there that would have a mindset that fans are not important in any regard. 

You've got me very interested in more info on your post...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I'm curious about this incident. Was this a corps member, staff member, admin? I'm in the group of people that believes that corps often times alienate themselves from the fans for various reasons, and sometimes not intending to, but I don't think there are any corps out there that would have a mindset that fans are not important in any regard. 

You've got me very interested in more info on your post...

He was my caption head last year. He currently works for FloMarching, the company that did the show Livestreams for BOA and WGI. He told it to me that drum corps are run like businesses (which is true and I agree with) and that they aren't selling to the fans, they are selling to the potential members. The fans will find it out when the show is first preformed. When I stated to him that not announcing the shows might put on a bad reputation for the corps, he stated that it would only put on the bad reputation toward people who "want to know" who he again states that they are not the customers of the corps

26 minutes ago, sagemode67 said:

He was my caption head last year. He currently works for FloMarching, the company that did the show Livestreams for BOA and WGI. He told it to me that drum corps are run like businesses (which is true and I agree with) and that they aren't selling to the fans, they are selling to the potential members. The fans will find it out when the show is first preformed. When I stated to him that not announcing the shows might put on a bad reputation for the corps, he stated that it would only put on the bad reputation toward people who "want to know" who he again states that they are not the customers of the corps

He doesn't sound like someone to listen to.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

He doesn't sound like someone to listen to.

At face value I agree with you....but there is some truth here in what is said as well..although I don't necessarily agree with the logic that is presented here at all...

48 minutes ago, sagemode67 said:

While there's truth in the statement (the corps  do exist to serve the students) it's also true that without fans attending shows,  most of the corps rapidly cease to exist.    A few (those with income streams that exist completely independent of the drum corps) might be able to exist but would have virtually no venues in which to perform.  I guess they could do parades.

But make no mistake: drum corps is beholden to their fans.  One year of boycotting DCI shows would probably shut the doors at DCI and most of the corps.