Genesis 2017

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

ok being the pivotal word.  did ok with Rach Star but did they credit what was played or did they struggle to get past "it's rock music" ? 

Oh, I get it now. Rach Star (which I LOVED!) did not place higher because it was the music snob judges that couldn't get past the source music genre. Therefore, that must continue to be the case for all future corps reps (the hypothesis and findings must be reproducible), otherwise there would have to be some other reason for prior rock/metal sourced programs to place lower than expected.

Maybe I'm naive, or not enough of a music snob/artiste, but I don't get why a judge would automatically dismiss a corps performance solely on the genre of its source music.

And, BTW, there's a whole other section of the original song that the referenced brass band arrangement chose not to include. Quite melodic, and would fit into the right drum corps program nicely.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

Maybe I'm naive, or not enough of a music snob/artiste, but I don't get why a judge would automatically dismiss a corps performance solely on the genre of its source music.

i think there have been so many absolutely awful high school rock band shows for such a long time that there was indeed a prejudice they couldn't quite overcome.  i think it was automatically dismissed from medal contention (it certainly was not 1st place -- that was clearly the cadets all season long and deservedly so).  look at the show from a "what" and "how" across all captions and it didn't really diverge from a standard crown rep.  what did diverge was the thematic material.  

just my opinion. 

do i think that such a prejudice will affect Genesis?  perhaps but probably not very much.  they seem to have a very different show programmed (not a "rock" show).  

19 hours ago, corpsband said:

do i think that such a prejudice will affect Genesis?  perhaps but probably not very much.  they seem to have a very different show programmed (not a "rock" show).  

To be fair, Crown 2011 was mixed with some Rachmaninoff. But it was mainly rock music. I really enjoyed that show. Whenever I want to introduce someone to DCI that was familiar with that music (like my dad), I'd show them that show. Maybe some different music will introduce more people to DCI. Just a thought  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

This short film apparently will be the basis of Genesis' 2017 production.

Why are they all wearing bowler hats in the vid?  Spirit?  or is it a 2017 must have like Trombones, French horns, and props?

An even more thorough explanation of Genesis 2017. And it looks like Rhapsody in Blue has been swapped out in favor of Frank Ticheli's "Blue Shades," and "Habanera" from Carmen has been added as well.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

This post has been removed in compliance with the DCP Media Link Policy.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown