Beef with Scoring

So I got a problem. And it's really petty and I know it, so don't tell me it's petty because I already know I'm being petty, BUT. Equivalence of certain scores is not equivalent. For example, Bluecoats on opening night received just above a 72. On Sunday, Mandarins received a 71.000. Now I know this is being petty but there is no way that Mandarins on Sunday were near as clean as the Bluecoats were on opening night, and that's just my issue. Maybe judges need to start the better corps off higher earlier or have there be more disparity between groups, but this is a major discrepancy that I see. I have nothing against the Mandarins, they've been one of my favorite lower world class groups and their show this year has really started to grow on me this summer, they were just used as an example. Am I making a clear, fair point?

• Like 3

I think the case can be made that the progression of scores after opening night is more important than the opening night scores.

And 'dem Blue-Coaty kids had better watch out because 'dem Mandarin kids are packing heat in a beautiful show, and are looking to kick some Blue-Butts.

I'm calling it with a very serious and straight face: The Mandarins make finals this year!

If a judge believes a corps is meeting certain criteria for each box on their sheet, then that's the number they assign. I think your issue is trying to create an equivalence of programs between the two corps, which clearly they aren't. Scores reflect criteria--subjective to a point, but still within the framework of a rubric.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brassdude6171 said:

Bluecoats on opening night received just above a 72. On Sunday, Mandarins received a 71.000.

To me raw scoring throughout the season is a means utilized for the purpose of position ranking.  And when a tally snap-shot is taken during the season, and deemed as finalized tally at the end of the season, it is position ranking not raw scoring which actually matters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ediker said:

I totally understand what you are expressing, and it's not petty. It's the reason that other scored sports/activities have adopted open ended scoring systems with no pre-defined upper limit. 

How realistic do you think it would be that DCI moves in this direction at any point?

Scoring, it's what's for dinner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brassdude6171 said:

So I got a problem. And it's really petty and I know it, so don't tell me it's petty because I already know I'm being petty, BUT. Equivalence of certain scores is not equivalent. For example, Bluecoats on opening night received just above a 72. On Sunday, Mandarins received a 71.000. ...

Seriously, though, I'm glad you posted this, since I'd been thinking of raising this point myself. I'm not sure you're framing it right, though. Mandarins may indeed be cleaner now than Bluecoats were on opening night. But their show isn't as challenging as Bloo's. But I've been wondering about ti this way:

If Bloo '17 got hold of a time machine and traveled from their first performance this year, June 22, 2017, to last year's championship prelims on August 11, 2016, and somehow convinced DCI to let them compete under a pseudonym (no one would recognize them from their uniforms, though presumably their sound would eventually give them away)...

What would they score?

In terms of the scores given out at championships, what is the "real" score earned by corps in the first week of the season?

Their first 2017 score of 72.30 would put them right between Spartans and Jersey Surf.

Is that the right place?

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Seriously, though, I'm glad you posted this, since I'd been thinking of raising this point myself. I'm not sure you're framing it right, though. Mandarins may indeed be cleaner now than Bluecoats were on opening night. But their show isn't as challenging as Bloo's. But I've been wondering about ti this way:

If Bloo '17 got hold of a time machine and traveled from their first performance this year, June 22, 2017, to last year's championship prelims on August 11, 2016, and somehow convinced DCI to let them compete under a pseudonym (no one would recognize them from their uniforms, though presumably their sound would eventually give them away)...

What would they score?

In terms of the scores given out at championships, what is the "real" score earned by corps in the first week of the season?

Their first 2017 score of 72.30 would put them right between Spartans and Jersey Surf.

Is that the right place?

Exactly. I think you made the point better than I did. But this is exactly what I was getting at.