Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

Maybe I am misreading you. But it seems as if you are explaining why the current judging community is above reproach and questioning, and then you say most of the judges should retire because in essence they just don't get what's going on out there.

@MikeRappNo problem.  The current judging community is never above reproach--both young and old. 

Also, both YOUNG and OLD may be cleaving towards shows they loved from ancient times that are not longer relevant to current sheets, yes, they should retire.  Immediately.  

Edited by DeusExGreenMachina

51 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

To answer your most recent question-- I don't know?  I don't know what caption they judged and how they judged it during their specific performance.  I didn't bring up BD in my original post so I don't quite see how your question is relevant.  Like I said-- you have a very nice drum corps.

The focus of my question is not about BD but the DCI judges. This is a thread within DCI WC, so everything needs to be directly related to that subject.  And for your contention in #5 to be tue about DCI WC Judges.. the old, the young, the most experienced, the least experienced DCI judges would have to come to 'vastly' different scoring conclusions; and that is just not the case in DCI. I mean you made that accusation about older judges being out of touch with change, now you say you do not know?

Edited by Stu

Just now, Stu said:

The focus of my question is not about BD but the DCI judges. This is a thread within DCI WC, so everything needs to be directly related to that subject.  And for your contention in #5 to be tue about DCI WC Judges.. the old, the young, the most experienced, the least experienced DCI judges would have to come to 'vastly' different scoring conclusions; and that is just not the case in DCI. I mean you made that accusation about older judges being out of touch with change, now you say you do not know?

I'm saying that I do not know what to you are referring.  Can you kindly rephrase?  

I have only been a member since June but I have been lurking the site since 2012.  I know you didn't specifically mention BD but the reason why they are relevant is that just about every thread on this site that is started that involves judging conspiracies revolves around BD so @Stu and others bringing BD up is completely relevant.

I love the last point in your original post BTW. I have never judged this activity competitevly but I have scored to a rubric and it sucks, especially if you are underpaid and everyone is questioning your judgement.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

@MikeRappNo problem.  The current judging community is never above reproach--both young and old. 

Also, both YOUNG and OLD may be cleaving towards shows they loved from ancient times that are not longer relevant to current sheets, yes, they should retire.  Immediately.  

Can you be more specific as to what you are suggesting?

4 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I love the last point in your original post BTW. I have never judged this activity competitevly but I have scored to a rubric and it sucks, especially if you are underpaid and everyone is questioning your judgement.

Yep! Money never counts.  It's what you put into it and get out of it.  Figure.  

Just now, MikeRapp said:

Can you be more specific as to what you are suggesting?

Great question.  The answer is nope.  Specific enough.

Thank you.

Let me just say this. I have been around and in similar activities as DCI. They are fun, altruistic genres that attract truly wonderful and talented people.

That said, I also know that there is a strong sense of protectionism within these sorts of genres, where everyone sort of understands what the rules are. Everyone ultimately wants the activity to succeed and grow if only because it's their livelihood at stake. 

I am sure there are some seedy, untrustworthy people in and around dci. But most I am sure are wonderful, smart, creative people. The judges are among the best of the best for all the reasons you state. But, when you have such a small, self supported activity, no one wants to be "that guy."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

But, when you have such a small, self supported activity, no one wants to be "that guy."

Exactly.

• Thanks 1