Recommended Posts

KeithHall    236

I was never a member of the Empire Statesmen! I almost was in 1990 but chose Crusaders instead. That being said, Vince Bruni's idea of being entertaining to the audience is sorely missed IMO. The fact that they (ES) are gone today saddens me every year! Would love to see all the DCA corps say "Screw it!" and play a show that drum corps fans of all ages can just say they LOVE! I am NOT against what the corps do today but feel that DCA could be more entertaining than their counterpart DCI. EVERYTHING that DCI does eventually gets to DCA and makes the shows less entertaining. 

I LOVE the shows today and the playing is better than ever (the marching? eh) but lets hear something that gets me humming the songs or tapping my foot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fred Windish    1,322
36 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

I was never a member of the Empire Statesmen! I almost was in 1990 but chose Crusaders instead. That being said, Vince Bruni's idea of being entertaining to the audience is sorely missed IMO. The fact that they (ES) are gone today saddens me every year! Would love to see all the DCA corps say "Screw it!" and play a show that drum corps fans of all ages can just say they LOVE! I am NOT against what the corps do today but feel that DCA could be more entertaining than their counterpart DCI. EVERYTHING that DCI does eventually gets to DCA and makes the shows less entertaining. 

I LOVE the shows today and the playing is better than ever (the marching? eh) but lets hear something that gets me humming the songs or tapping my foot.

Hey!

I just now e-mailed a similar sentiment to a friendly DCA operative.  Even mentioned Empire Statesmen specifically.  Earlier DCA did have a more unique flavor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dbriggs    50

Statesmen, Renegades, Heat Wave.... <sigh>

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob P.    9
4 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I was never a member of the Empire Statesmen! I almost was in 1990 but chose Crusaders instead. That being said, Vince Bruni's idea of being entertaining to the audience is sorely missed IMO. The fact that they (ES) are gone today saddens me every year! Would love to see all the DCA corps say "Screw it!" and play a show that drum corps fans of all ages can just say they LOVE! I am NOT against what the corps do today but feel that DCA could be more entertaining than their counterpart DCI. EVERYTHING that DCI does eventually gets to DCA and makes the shows less entertaining. 

I LOVE the shows today and the playing is better than ever (the marching? eh) but lets hear something that gets me humming the songs or tapping my foot.

I share your sentiments, but as long as this remains a Competition this is what you get.  BTW, entertainment is in the eye of the beholder.  I am more entertained by "non-toe tapping" Bartok than even a well done rendition of Malaguena.  

Salut, Bob P.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cixelsyd    877
4 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I was never a member of the Empire Statesmen! I almost was in 1990 but chose Crusaders instead. That being said, Vince Bruni's idea of being entertaining to the audience is sorely missed IMO. The fact that they (ES) are gone today saddens me every year! Would love to see all the DCA corps say "Screw it!" and play a show that drum corps fans of all ages can just say they LOVE! I am NOT against what the corps do today but feel that DCA could be more entertaining than their counterpart DCI. EVERYTHING that DCI does eventually gets to DCA and makes the shows less entertaining. 

I LOVE the shows today and the playing is better than ever (the marching? eh) but lets hear something that gets me humming the songs or tapping my foot.

Before this devolves into a pointless debate over how to define what is entertaining... I do share your disappointment over how DCA seems to have abandoned any sense of unique identity in favor of mimicking DCI.

At this point, DCA would do themselves a huge favor by simply adopting DCI rules/sheets/judges.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kamarag    5,109
10 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Before this devolves into a pointless debate over how to define what is entertaining... I do share your disappointment over how DCA seems to have abandoned any sense of unique identity in favor of mimicking DCI.

 

 

Did you even watch DCA this year? Every finalist was incredibly entertaining, in their own unique way. While it may be true that no current corps favors schmaltz, cheese, and the overuse of fire extinguishers, the very idea that that's the only thing that's 'entertaining' is patently absurd. 

I always roll my eyes when someone comes online and tells us "what Vince's idea was" or "What Cos would think of all this". You know what? They'd probably love it and tell the corps to keep on striving for uniqueness in their entertainment.

If you (royal "you") did watch DCA this year and didn't find the corps wildly entertaining, you have a cold, dead heart.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeff Ream    7,774
4 hours ago, Bob P. said:

I share your sentiments, but as long as this remains a Competition this is what you get.  BTW, entertainment is in the eye of the beholder.  I am more entertained by "non-toe tapping" Bartok than even a well done rendition of Malaguena.  

Salut, Bob P.

oh God please no more malaguena ever. malaga too. 

 

and from each corps i saw a lot of uniqueness....nice little nods to corps history etc, especially from those with extended histories. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AoEnut    31
4 hours ago, Kamarag said:

Did you even watch DCA this year? Every finalist was incredibly entertaining, in their own unique way. While it may be true that no current corps favors schmaltz, cheese, and the overuse of fire extinguishers, the very idea that that's the only thing that's 'entertaining' is patently absurd. 

I always roll my eyes when someone comes online and tells us "what Vince's idea was" or "What Cos would think of all this". You know what? They'd probably love it and tell the corps to keep on striving for uniqueness in their entertainment.

If you (royal "you") did watch DCA this year and didn't find the corps wildly entertaining, you have a cold, dead heart.

Right on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Schnitzel    80
6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh God please no more malaguena ever. malaga too. 

 

and from each corps i saw a lot of uniqueness....nice little nods to corps history etc, especially from those with extended histories. 

Hope you didn't go to see the Mini's  @ WCs - TWO Malagas in 5 groups!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeff Ream    7,774
1 hour ago, Schnitzel said:

Hope you didn't go to see the Mini's  @ WCs - TWO Malagas in 5 groups!

no, Flobuffering.com didnt offer coverage to my living room

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.