Terri Schehr

Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

Recommended Posts

This is pretty much all I needed to read...

Sunshine is antiseptic.

"While overseen by DCI, the corps are largely autonomous. DCI has signaled change is coming. The regulations recently drafted by the DCI board have yet to be made public, but are expected to outline stringent standards all corps must meet."

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, garfield said:

This is pretty much all I needed to read...

Sunshine is antiseptic.

"While overseen by DCI, the corps are largely autonomous. DCI has signaled change is coming. The regulations recently drafted by the DCI board have yet to be made public, but are expected to outline stringent standards all corps must meet."

 

Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“He’s paid his penance”.  Therein lies the problem right there.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drum Corps does have characteristics that make it unique, but the situation involving the former director of the Cadets had similarities to serial abusers, which most likely included believing he was above recrimination, and the situation of the man mentioned in this article has characteristics similar to situations outside of drum corps. 

Folks who have a long memory for DCP threads will remember how heated the discussions were when Teal Sound hired the man, and there were some who argued innocent till proven guilty, and while thst’s fair, you still need to be careful. Others claimed he was young and made a mistake. Yes, he was young, but he was old enough and experienced enough to know better. His being hired by Crossmen also was controversial, which was rather heated on DCP last fall. 

One way where drum corps is unique is everybody knows everyone else. This can be a strength for collaboration, but it can also blur perspective. Everyone loves Person X, believes he received a raw deal, needs a second chance. Would this person get a second chance with a school district? No, and it would be an objective decision. However, giving the second chance, while appearing generous, is actually more harmful. It appears to not take the victims seriously, and it’s not good for the accused either. He is once again being exposed to media scrutiny, and if, as some have suggested, other cases may be coming forward, his name will come up again. Beginning anew will be more difficult too, and getting a new job will be even more difficult.

When behavior is criminal or borderline criminal, giving a second chance is important, but putting a person in a similar situation can do more harm than good. The second chance needs to be in a different situation where there is little to no chance of repeat offending.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

“He’s paid his penance”.  Therein lies the problem right there.

I think I know a thing or two about penance, and since we don’t mix religion and politics, I won’t go on and on, but you don’t “pay” penance, and when some thought you could “pay” penance, it caused the Reformation.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, garfield said:

This is pretty much all I needed to read...

Sunshine is antiseptic.

"While overseen by DCI, the corps are largely autonomous. DCI has signaled change is coming. The regulations recently drafted by the DCI board have yet to be made public, but are expected to outline stringent standards all corps must meet."

 

well....yes and no. Here's a member of the Board, and no full disclosure. granted he was hired before the new rules were in place, but per reading the article, there's some evasiveness. Morrison has IMO, been a pretty stand up guy since the Bones got sold off to Texas, but if watching YEA's response since Hop and the old board were booted out is any indication of what should be happening in Texas, pure blunt force trauma honesty and openness should be happening. 

 

that you have documented text messages the guy sent to kids in public documentation in Florida as well as now a major newspaper as part of the AP wire....aka the story spreading far and wide like the YEA story did.....no rules on paper in Indy can stop the PR damage. Quite honestly Dan and the corps need to send an all points out to all adults involved with every corps saying "if you've had issues in the past, we need to know now". I know one corps did just that. I dont now if it led to staff changes, but at least the corps was far more proactive than many others. 

 

the telling thing to me was Genesis director speaking up that he mentioned his concerns to Morrison in the article.

 

I'm amazed the article didn't bring up Crossmens roots to Philly

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well....yes and no. Here's a member of the Board, and no full disclosure. granted he was hired before the new rules were in place, but per reading the article, there's some evasiveness. Morrison has IMO, been a pretty stand up guy since the Bones got sold off to Texas, but if watching YEA's response since Hop and the old board were booted out is any indication of what should be happening in Texas, pure blunt force trauma honesty and openness should be happening. 

 

that you have documented text messages the guy sent to kids in public documentation in Florida as well as now a major newspaper as part of the AP wire....aka the story spreading far and wide like the YEA story did.....no rules on paper in Indy can stop the PR damage. Quite honestly Dan and the corps need to send an all points out to all adults involved with every corps saying "if you've had issues in the past, we need to know now". I know one corps did just that. I dont now if it led to staff changes, but at least the corps was far more proactive than many others. 

 

the telling thing to me was Genesis director speaking up that he mentioned his concerns to Morrison in the article.

 

I'm amazed the article didn't bring up Crossmens roots to Philly

Funny, because I was surprised it didn't mention the YEA/Crossmen ties as well.  Regardless, this is not good on so many levels.  I too agree, every single drum corps should get all the "skeletons" out immediately. The activity cant handle any more surprises or it could be a potentially fatal blow.

I am also blown away that Morrison would act in such a callus manner about his employee.  No regard for the real issue, just get the folks that can make my corps better and don't speak about it any more.  Much like GH, it shows that these corps leaders often feel above the law, and can just make decisions on their own. I know that is probably over generalizing it, but it is certainly feeling that way to me.

The entire DCI-Corps structure probably needs to be changed in some way.  Not sure how exactly, but now would be a great time to explore possibilities.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Spartans87 said:

Funny, because I was surprised it didn't mention the YEA/Crossmen ties as well.  Regardless, this is not good on so many levels.  I too agree, every single drum corps should get all the "skeletons" out immediately. The activity cant handle any more surprises or it could be a potentially fatal blow.

I am also blown away that Morrison would act in such a callus manner about his employee.  No regard for the real issue, just get the folks that can make my corps better and don't speak about it any more.  Much like GH, it shows that these corps leaders often feel above the law, and can just make decisions on their own. I know that is probably over generalizing it, but it is certainly feeling that way to me.

The entire DCI-Corps structure probably needs to be changed in some way.  Not sure how exactly, but now would be a great time to explore possibilities.

look....i feel for Morrison in one regard...the better side of many of us want to give people a second chance for a variety of reasons. But this topic....no, you can't. I mean look at the major names that have been exposed and not charged with anything via the legal system now ostracized and basically untouchable.....and my hunch is there are other shows out there yet to go public. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

look....i feel for Morrison in one regard...the better side of many of us want to give people a second chance for a variety of reasons. But this topic....no, you can't. I mean look at the major names that have been exposed and not charged with anything via the legal system now ostracized and basically untouchable.....and my hunch is there are other shows out there yet to go public. 

He can find employment outside of the marching arts.  People do it all the time.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.