Small Town U.S.A.

With so many corps going to so many shows in the 60's & 70's it seamed like every

small town around the main show site was used. What's the best small town you stayed in.

Being from Canada it was great to be away from all the destractions of the big city.

In 1975-78 we went to the U.S. Open and stayed in a small town named

Mount Gilead, just outside of Marion.

It was quaint and the town people are the best you can find anywhere. The field was across from the school that we stayed at and we got a lot of worked done.

The kids in the town came to see us practise every day and there was one boy

who came to our practise and watch every move we made. In 1977, I think our

corps director asked if he wanted to come and see the show. Well he was on the

bus faster than you could sneeze.

I often think back to those days because that's when I really got know what small

town America was all about. As a matter of fact, in 1976, the town gave the key to the town and a three foot trophy. Whenever we competed in Marion, Ohio the announcer would say, " An now on the statring line from Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada and Mount Gilead, Ohio, the Dutch Boy Cadets"

I guess you could say that the town and Dutch Boy kind of adopted each other. Some day I want to go back and just walk around the town and say hi to some old

friends and accomodating people that I will always remember. :P :)

:D :D :D

Edited by Old Dutch Boy Cadet

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deer Park IL. was a pretty cool town. On wash day we had to lug our laundry to the laundry mat quite a few blocks from the school. It was hot and muggy but of course we all still wore our Corps jackets. On the way back to the school this lady pulls over and says with a heavy sigh "come on, get in. You know, I've been picking you guys up all day!" It was like she was trying to hide how nice she was being but we really did appreciate it and I wondered if she was driving back and forth on purpose just to help us out. Everyone in that town was really nice to us.

Oh, and back in those days we didn't worry as much about accepting a ride from a stranger. I wouldn't do it nowadays though...

One side note. After driving SCV in the early 90s, I noticed how much things had changed from when I marched in the 70s. With the use of the "Miss Amana" kitchen on wheels, the kids didn't have as much opportunity to get into town and experience the people and different sights and businesses.

But, what really got me was that many of the towns had become rather "generic" anyway and so it probably didn't matter. I'm really grateful that I got to experience the U.S.A. while it was mostly "Mom and Pop" stores and restaurants and each town had it's own destinct personality. Very Grateful...

Edited by MsBusDriver

In 1975, Cavaliers stayed in a small town named Sorel, up the St. Lawrence River from Montreal. Very small and very different for us. It was fun to have the locals hang out to see us rehearse.

I agree that Cedarburg is a really nice town.

Mike

I always thought Whitewater was a neat little town.

That was a great town and a very pretty girl I met. Lord I loved that place. :)

I liked all the towns like Rome and Dutchess in NY.

I liked Marion OH. We were treated so well there. Also Allentown! what a drum corps place B)