Pieces never done by Corps

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack Stamp pieces (more of them...I just know of Cavies doing Gavorkna Fanfare). B)

Sound Pieces - Oliver Nelson

Very much a Blue Devils or Madison style piece.

The Big Chase - Stan Kenton Orchestra

Blue Devils style drum feature.

ummm take a listen to the 73 Blue Stars and listen to the number after holst suite for band/first fedral march and u will hear (drum roll) Battle Hymn.....done and done

ohh ohh....a newer piece called finnish folk songs...very cool and could be powerful.

an on the contemp side how about it's my life by bon jovi ohh or the entire SPAMalot soundtrack (be jsut liek JCSS circa Madison '99)

Edited by BlueStarsBari

Obligatory plug for the music from Conan the Barbarian. I'm astounded that, year after year, so many corps pass over this incredible music that is simply crying to be put on the field. Amazing. Even though I've seen the movie countless times, when I hear this music, I see drill moves in my head instead of scenes from the film.

There's also a ton of really cool, field-worthy music from contemporary groups that should be played, like Sigur Ros, Godspeed, You Black Emperor, Polyphonic Spree, or Sufjan Stevens.

Back when BD was doing a little more "exotic" jazz (94-97), I thought this would work well for them...Bela Fleck and The Flecktones latest album, "Little Worlds" has a couple of tunes on it called "Costa Brava" and " Sleeper". The percussion in the two pieces would translate so well to drum corps. Everytime I listen to the two pieces, I need someone in Div. I to play them! Go to itunes or flecktones.com. I'm sure they would be out there to listen to.