Cadets 1999 Makes Me Cry...

since 9/11. They performed their true memorial performance for NYC 2 years beforehand. Much better than 02.

I know Hopkins hated the show, and many dislike at least the taxicab doors...but I think it's a very good show with some great drill, a great ballad, a great guard, and a LOUD hornline.

Hopkins hated it? Interesting. I quite like it. The energy conveyed indeed puts me in mind of New York City.

Anyone know if the "boundaries" they created are supposed to represent anything in particular? They always looked like the ports at the lower end of the island to me. (Watch the beginning of West Side Story[the movie, not Garfield 84]) and you'll see what I'm thinking of.

I liked and hated marching that show. It was tough to march and play (especially hell's kitchen). But all in all, when I watch it, I get teary eyed because I miss the Twin Towers.

Hopkins hated it? Interesting. I quite like it. The energy conveyed indeed puts me in mind of New York City.

Anyone know if the "boundaries" they created are supposed to represent anything in particular? They always looked like the ports at the lower end of the island to me. (Watch the beginning of West Side Story[the movie, not Garfield 84]) and you'll see what I'm thinking of.

I don't know about HATED, but I remember hear a long time ago on his blog, and he listed every show he directed, and little blurb about what he thought of it or what it meant...and I remember beside 1999 it said something bad...then a long time ago there was a thread on the show, and I believe it was said that many people in the corps that year did not like that show, especially the ballad for some reason. I imagine Hopkins felt about the 1999 show much what he felt about the 2006 show...apologetic, some feeling that it failed in some aspect(s)...

I liked and hated marching that show. It was tough to march and play (especially hell's kitchen).

I figured that the pace of the 99 show led to the slowed down pace of the 00 show. Almost as though the design team said, "listen, we're sorry for making you haul last year. we're slowing it down a bit this year."

I think 99 Cadets is an underrated show. I'd love to see Cadets return to shows based on wind ensemble works, a la 97-99.

One of the FEW Cadets show's I've liked. It was really, really, good.

One of their best shows - I'm surprised to hear that George Hopkins doesn't like it.

I believe they were supposed to represent the NY skyline - but didn't really work IMO.

And I loved that show - kudos to anyone who had to march it :laugh:

Later,

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89