How do you feel about Breaking Ranks?

In '04, a cricket tried to break the ranks of the Magic of Orlando contra line (in the block next to me and the Scades) at a full retreat somewhere on the east coast.

That cricket got eaten for his insolence, and the contra player spent the rest of the retreat vomiting all over the turf.

I'm not sure I've ever laughed harder in my life.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic!

In '83, Chuck Mangione took it upon himself to wander around the field after scores were announced at finals.

He nearly got his @ss handed to him when he tried to push through the BD's drum line trying to get to the hornline.

I broke through the Crossmen rank of drums during my rookie season.

lol. It was their fault, I had nowhere else to go to get back to my corps. So i just hopped over their drums lying on the ground. Someone told me to not do that again... I think its so dumb. It's like a corps is insecure or something.

I think its so dumb. It's like a corps is insecure or something.

It's not dumb, It is called TRADITION and RESPECT!!

This issue is entirely situational.

The following is based on real events. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

A good time to enforce rank:

Stupid rookie accidently wanders into the BD battery while they are marching to the stadium. He deserves a lesson, and was lucky he got out of the situation unscathed.

Jerk truck driver of "another" corps tries to push thru for the simple reason that he thinks he is King #### and wants to start some crap. He ain't getting thru fer nuthin!

A bad time to enforce rank:

You are filing thru a parking lot after a retreat along with the crowd. You let the interval in front of you open up to 4 steps, and when a young woman steps through you first yell at her, and then get physical. As you grab her by the shoulder she turns around and you find she is carrying an 8 pound infant in her arms. You feel very fortunate you did not do something that you might have never forgiven yourself for, and are now able to manage this rank breaking issue with much more clarity.

1. Don't attack civilians.

2. If you can stop the action in a reasonable fashion you should. (I'd probably let a civillian thru who asked politely, if we were not on the move)

3. Someone who should know better (in a uniform) is putting themselves at risk.

4. Someone who is intentionally breaking ranks to be insulting is fair game.

5. Be practical. It's not healthy to take insult when insult was not intended.

That's how I see it.

I thought they got rid of "TRADITION AND RESPECT" when the whole Bb thing came in !! :laugh: j/k

Can you still say those two words without getting stared at like you only had one eye ? B) j/k

Edited by ODBC

No, you must only use words like "Innovative" even though most things are not and can be found in so many other places. Tradition and respect, I don't think there is enough of it in the drum corps activity simply because there is not enough of it in our society.

So many people are entitled in today's world that we must allow all to embrace originality, even if that means allowing mediocrity to set in as it has in so many facets of life.

Wow...don't I sound entitled, and that's so far from what I wish my point to be perceived as.

It's only "TRADITION and RESPECT" if both parties know about it...if someone who has NO idea there is such a thing wants to get from point A to point B and a corps is blocking their way, it's not disrespect if they cut through.

If a corps member who should know better attempts to purposely break ranks when it would be easy to go around, then yes, it might be seen as disrespectful. However, it's MORE disrespectful to get all huffy about it and physically restrain the person...or start yelling and screaming at them. If that person broke a corps ranks, it's on them....if the response is as over the top as some I've seen in this thread, it's the other way round. IMO a corps always should act professional in public, and displays as I mentioned are far from that.

Man, we marching bandos are sure some tough characters. I'm sure we wouldn't be picking fights and getting viloent with the public that pays to see us if we didn't have 134 other guys there to back us up. Really brave.

Try this tough guys....wear your little hats and feathers and sequence down a dark alley in Allentown at 2 AM by yourself and see if you're as bad ### and see where your traditions get you.

Get some perspective on life and figure out what's REALLY important.

Edited by 2CoolVK

I think its so dumb. It's like a corps is insecure or something.

When each member is responsible for their own instrument they take pride in that instrument and want it kept in better condition than they got it. Some of these new Yamaha drums you see are custom jobs that cost more than your typical stock Yamaha marching drums. What if you ran through, knocked one over and some how it was damaged? Would you still be saying "it's so dumb. It's like a corps is insecure or something"?

Here is another way of putting it. What happens if you run through the drums like you did, you trip and fall, and land so hard you get injured? What are you going to be saying then? The same idiotic, moronic, sophomoric comment you managed to spew from your mouth?