Cavaliers Technique Question

It all depends on what you are doing at that point - another 10 clicks is no bg deal. Marching 220 at a 10 to 5 like bd does is no big deal ^0^

- just a joke in the original spirit of the thread.

it might not look like a big deal.. but thats because thats how they make it look. its very relaxed, separated, and clean. ever hear people say how BDs marching is easy? thats why.

compared to some other corps marching at 180+. they make it really seems like they are marching 180+ and it looks "harder"

I'm not really sure who the hater really is......

people on here get all butt hurt because i actually say how it is. if something is awesome.. i will say it. if something looks or sounds like crap. then it will be noted. regardless of year or corps. of course there is some bias in there to "our" corps (we all do it to some extent) but even if that said corps is not doing so well.. it will be no different than if another corps was in the same position.

BD isnt very well liked on this forum in general. and anyone who doesnt praise cadets, cavies (especially), phantom, etc.. will get shunned upon.

welcome to DCP. opinions not welcomed

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it might not look like a big deal.. but thats because thats how they make it look. its very relaxed, separated, and clean. ever hear people say how BDs marching is easy? thats why.

Or maybe it really isnt a big deal?? ^0^

and yes i am playing devils advocate (not blue kind) :P

compared to some other corps marching at 180+. they make it really seems like they are marching 180+ and it looks "harder"

people on here get all butt hurt because i actually say how it is. if something is awesome.. i will say it. if something looks or sounds like crap. then it will be noted. regardless of year or corps. of course there is some bias in there to "our" corps (we all do it to some extent) but even if that said corps is not doing so well.. it will be no different than if another corps was in the same position.

BD isnt very well liked on this forum in general. and anyone who doesnt praise cadets, cavies (especially), phantom, etc.. will get shunned upon.

welcome to DCP. opinions not welcomed

You know, everything that you seem to state as if it is a fact, is clearly based only on perception.

I've mentioned it before, but I think it's a funny DCP phenomenon that everyone tends to think their corps gets hated on the most, and that the corps they hate get love from everyone.

You know, everything that you seem to state as if it is a fact, is clearly based only on perception.

I've mentioned it before, but I think it's a funny DCP phenomenon that everyone tends to think their corps gets hated on the most, and that the corps they hate get love from everyone.

Not to mention the fact that everyone heard their corps get the loudest ovation of the night from the crowd, and that their corps always has the most to clean and will catch up to the top groups because of it....

I think cire has achieved his aim of rubbing everyone up the wrong way. I've just had the dubious pleasure of reading his thread on the BD site entitled "I'm having fun on DCP".

He must be really proud....well done!

Still waiting for your post. Having never marched straight-leg, I'd like to hear the technique explained.

lol i actually just came on here to say im heading out to camp in a few hours and still have a bunch of work to catch up on. ill have it either sunday night or monday. sorry for the wait

I think cire has achieved his aim of rubbing everyone up the wrong way. I've just had the dubious pleasure of reading his thread on the BD site entitled "I'm having fun on DCP".

nah.. just like it said.. havin fun. people are too stuck up over here.

Edited by cire

Generally nice post. Thanks. I'm going to try to take a few stabs to clear things up for myself with the technique. I'm asking if they should be uniform and if I need some clarifications on how I'm describing it. Let me know what you think.

1) Motion begins on the & count before the first articulation, correct? Should this be uniform? Does this still happen are 200+ bpm? What about compound meter?

2) On the & count before you peel the left heel off the ground as high as you can while keeping the toes on the ground. Is it the entire part of the toe or just the tip? Does the heel arrive it's lifted position on the & count or does it begin it's initial motion on the & count? Yes, everyone will have a different height, but everyone is supposed to lift the heel all the way up as describe earlier correct?

3) Count 1 the heel touches with the weight still on the back foot. You're not supposed to stick your butt out right? The transfer of weight doesn't happen until going to 1 &?

4) On 1& the back foot comes in a straight line. The toe is pointing down and the foot is perpendicular to the ground. Shouldn't the knee angles be the same? The foot should be lined up with the other shin and the toe close to the ground. The front foot should roll to be flat and not get flat until the & count.

I left a decent chunk of the details out, but let me know of any corrections you may find. What I would like to point out to everyone arguing for and against is there are so many chances in their technique for variations. With straight leg you have timing of the feet and basically the angle of the knee. With a bent knee technique you have those plus more. Each one will have it's variations that will make it look dirty, but a technique like The Cavaliers has more opportunity to do so. I think that's one of the main reasons why they're considered to have dirty technique by some. I'll still have some concerns with timing of the feet as everyone is held under the same standards for that though.

Also, the detail is there but isn't there an emphasis on fluidity? To me the detail looks great when broken down, but once the 'fluidity' word is introduced it almost creates more variation between members. I understand that each "checkpoint" isn't actually a hit point, but rather something you pass through, but a lot of those seem to get lost.

One thing I've always liked about an exagerrated bent knee technique is the fluidity in the upper body that it allows. I find a lot of that comes from not transfering the weight until after the downbeat actually because your taking some of the impact off of the front heel wihle still maintaining your posture. Anyways, let me know what you think and give me any corrections you feel necessary. Thanks in advance.

Any answers for these?