Cavaliers Technique Question

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because running around like a ###### and making a simple grammatical error are similar in idiocy. :worthy:

I know, eh? :P

Never marched with the Green Machine, but I believe that they use the most appropriate expression in Drum Corps : " FIGURE IT OUT ! ". :)

You're pretty confused on this. My suggestion echos others on this thread. I say contact the staff directly, just make sure not to sound too insulting.

Heck, you could even attend a camp or two. I think they do marching at the december camp now.

The Cavaliers marching technique is a complicated one, but once you get it down, it just makes the most sense.

I'll contact the staff directly but I don't think I'll get the answers I'm asking for. I've also have had discussions with past visual staff members that could also not define all details of the technique. It was taught with more or a general concept of how the foot should flow. It doesn't seem to be defined as the other technique methods out there and it shows on the field every year. That's why I'm curious if any former members could really define it.

I've studied and taught technique for years and the first step issue also really confuses me. Maybe I'm just missing some obvious detail on how you would take step one without moving your center of body forward and without having your weight equal between both feet.

How does the technique make the most sense? I hear that often, but I never really see any convincing arguments on why.

Thanks

It's all in the knees!

How much knee? How is the knee defined?

All answers about this technique are always vague and that's why it looks different from person to person on the field.

Never marched with the Green Machine, but I believe that they use the most appropriate expression in Drum Corps : " FIGURE IT OUT ! ". :)

we used it too....over used it. I think the guard was ur main bad influence. I hate that term cause it doesn't help anyone. Members are still clueless, staff doesn't see improvement.

A new phrase that hails from The Jersey Surf goes something like this "Educational Only"! As in, staff, only say educational things. Stuff like "figure it out" or "do it better" doesn't cut it.

OT, i know, srry

the problem with asking former members is they dont' sit down with a book and learn the technique so that they can go back and explain it to other people or necessarily teach it.

It's taught so that it makes sense to that individual (just like every technique).

The specific nature of your questions will best be answered by staff or by attending a rehearsal where they work on basics (usually in the off season.. December, January, Feb/March...they usually start working on the actual drill in April once they get out to NIU).

I recommended you contact Jeff Fiedler because, while he's also the director, while he was on staff with the corps, he was on the visual staff. As someone else recommended, if you ask your questions to the right people with respect, you'll get the answers (or at least initiate a conversation that will result in answers for you) you seek.

I don't know why you would believe that you won't get answers from the staff.. they're the nicest bunch of guys I've ever met.. and always happy to answer the specific questions I've had about things over the years.. you just have to ask.

Stef

we used it too....over used it. I think the guard was ur main bad influence. I hate that term cause it doesn't help anyone. Members are still clueless, staff doesn't see improvement.

A new phrase that hails from The Jersey Surf goes something like this "Educational Only"! As in, staff, only say educational things. Stuff like "figure it out" or "do it better" doesn't cut it.

OT, i know, srry

There are times when you have to rely upon your training, and there are times when you have to rely upon your own judgement. Being trained for both is the best.