Theory of Respectfully Disagreeing

I believe the judge has discretion to award court costs in civil cases. And... the system we have is actually based on the English system of common law and stare decisis (using previous court decisions for legal precedent.

I think the judge awarded costs to the dry cleaners... and the cleaners are now suing Mr. Pants for about 70k. And they WILL win. And they WILL see an increase in business. Now if only Mr. Pants could be disbarred...

Yes, I understand that our system based on the English system. And I understand that the judge has leeway. But they rarely take it, and even when they do they generally only assign a portion of the "true" court costs to the offender. I was talking about ONE SPECIFIC part of the English system that we DO NOT follow.

Fact is, it's too easy to file a lawsuit because the lawyers only charge you if you win, and then they take such a big cut that it makes up for all the other frivolous suits they filed hoping to get that one payday. There are other factors as well -- juries willingness to offer huge sums of money for no actual damaage comes to mind, but if it were a RULE (not discretion) that loser pays all legal and court costs, these frivolous suits would come to a grinding halt.

And I hope the Mr Pants does have to pay up -- but there are far too many examples the other way where the innocent party either actually loses or settles because they can't stomach the legal bills.

And .... to stay on topic!!! .... I do believe that in a round-about-way, this has contributed to the creation of the constantly-offended in our society that makes posting on these boards so agonizing sometimes.

Edited by Liam

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Major League Whiffleball? Sign me up!

Sure thing, HiFi. So far, it's just you and Tim Wakefield. :doh:

<----- Sox fan, lest THAT throw this discussion off its even keel.

I was talking about ONE SPECIFIC part of the English system that we DO NOT follow.

... the creation of the constantly-offended in our society that makes posting on these boards so agonizing sometimes.

Gotcha :) I'm just an accountant who works with lawyers :P

As for the "constantly offended" demographic... it's a horrible spiral. If it's easier to blame someone else, there's little motivation to take responsibility for your own actions. And when the kids see their parents behaving like this, it goes on and on and on and ooon.

(don't stop... believin'.... *pulls the plug on his post*)

. . . But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I'd like to second "Tsar". I wish DCP would require full names & hometowns as well. The stream of media that we get is no help, either.

I don't think equating civility with political correctness is quite accurate; it's not political at all, it's simply Emily Post etiquette. Good manners are universal :) and make the world a nicer place to live. And they're free! B)

I once had to write a paper about educational methods in the 1800's. There were a lot of things about their methods that strike modern observers as very wrong, but still a few things right about secondary and university-level requirements of that era; young gentlemen (and regrettably, only a few fortunate young ladies) spent as much time studying rhetoric and debate as they did literature and mathematics, and it likely served them well during their lives. At some of the oldest universities in the nation, debate societies were a major social force on campus for a period of time in the mid- to late-1800's. That particular element of study would be worth reviving, I think. Civil discourse is a useful way to find solutions to problems.

If a person is thoughtful in every sense of that word, he/she would never offend others in order to make a point.

I privately wonder about people who express themselves so negatively with virtual strangers.

Carla Morris

Marietta, GA

Edited by GeorgiaGirl

God bless DCP. At least there is some restraint to be courteous...and possibly intelligent with posts. One only has to view the anarchy over at RAMD to appreciate the basic rules of civility enforced here.

MAV...harkening back to those good ol' days of alt.drumcorps!

Disclaimer: This post does not reflect the views of Fox, ABC News, CNN, the NRA, Walmart, Sears-Roebuck, Microsoft, the Pepsi Corporation, 20th Century Fox, or the British Monarchy. Any civil penalties incurred in the reading of said post are forfeit by your reading of this line. The reader agrees not to sue the poster for emotional anguish and suffering. These words are Copyright 2007 by the Winston Churchill Wannabe Foundation. Rebroadcast of this post without the express written consent of Major League WhiffleBall is strictly prohibited.

*snicker* Looks like you were channeling Lee Rudnicki for a moment! Good stuff!

For what it's worth...

Besides drum corps, one of my other passions is sports, especially baseball (see my avatar). The local sports talk radio station here in the Twin Cities has a message board on which I used to post and participate. Unfortunately, it quickly became apparent to me that the level of discourse on those boards ranked just above virtual shoving and grunting. Needless to say, I don't visit there anymore.

My point: while DCP has its share of - shall we say - blockheads compared to other boards (particularly the one I mentioned above), it's still pretty civil. Maybe it has something to do with the "type" of person drum corps generally attracts? And I also like the fact that people here, for the most part, know how to formulate a sentence, spell correctly, and use punctuation.

Jim,

It takes a lot more effort to respecfully respond to someone you disagree with. Easier to hammer people as newbies, dinosuars, etc.

It's not hard to find those who CAN do it, though. I've witnesses LOTS of people on here who have pretty well-informed opinions , and at the same time, the ability disagree with a civil tone.

I am also appreciative of those on here who , despite being flammed over and over, continue to voice their opinions, reviews, etc, WITHOUT stooping to the level of some of the attacks.

For what it's worth...

Besides drum corps, one of my other passions is sports, especially baseball (see my avatar). The local sports talk radio station here in the Twin Cities has a message board on which I used to post and participate. Unfortunately, it quickly became apparent to me that the level of discourse on those boards ranked just above virtual shoving and grunting. Needless to say, I don't visit there anymore.

My point: while DCP has its share of - shall we say - blockheads compared to other boards (particularly the one I mentioned above), it's still pretty civil. Maybe it has something to do with the "type" of person drum corps generally attracts? And I also like the fact that people here, for the most part, know how to formulate a sentence, spell correctly, and use punctuation.

OK...I wrote this...deleted it...wrote it again...then counted to 10. Erased it and then wrote it again.

THE TWINKIES SUCK!

Because I grew up in Chicago. I hope you realize how much I am kidding.