1991 DCIs Best Year to Date?

78 members have voted

1. 1. Was 1991 DCIs Greatest Competitive Year to Date?

• YES
    • NO

Interesting observations about the "first year syndrome".

My initial thought was 1984 (my first year exposed), but I would say it's a toss up between 85, 87 and 88 IMO. There were some great years in the 90's as well, particularly 97 (that was an incredible night at finals, I was there, and it was a blast)

Also deserving mention is 1980, where the top 4 corps were separated by .8 (IIRC)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1980-

The top three corps...less than a point seperating the lot of 'em. Winner.

I think 1974 would be the year IMHO. Finals was wild that night. I think only 3 Corps finished where they were coming out of Prelims. Most notably you had Muchachos vault from 7th to 4th (what a performace that night :doh::lol: ) and then Santa Clara going from 3rd to 1st and their 2nd consecutive title. Very exciting Finals. Just found the results. I'll list prelims, then Finals.

Blue Stars-12th/12th

Phantom Regiment-8th/11th

Purple Lancers-10th/10th

Blue Devils-11th/9th

Cavaliers-9th/8th

DeLasalle Oaklands-6th/7th

Kilties-4th/6th

Troopers-5th/5th

Muchachos-7th/4th

Anahiem Kingsmen-2nd/3rd

Madison Scouts-1st/2nd

Santa Clara Vanguard-3rd/1st

Edited by jimwolf359

1980 - hands down.

Best finals I've ever seen; great Allentwon a week before.

Corps from 1 - 12 (and beyond) were all outstanding. Good quality, high demand, very entertaining. We have NEVER seen all of these in such abundance in Finals before or since.

If you've never seen it, watch it.

Discussion closed.

Karen

'90 is the best year top to bottom. Tight race 1-6th & 12-16th place.

Yup...90 was pretty tight going into the end....we had beat everyone, and everyone in the top 5 (except BD) had beaten us (Cadets)...it was nuts going into August. Only the 2 day child-beating in Birmingham that we went through made the difference for us.

I gotta say, 85 and 87 were also pretty fierce as the season wore on for the top 5.

I marched in 91, as well...I don't think it was competitive at the top AT ALL. Star had it locked up...2nd-4th was a jumble, but beyond that? Nahh.... I don't think it was a great year for DCI.

I will say this: 1991 was the last year I really enjoyed every single show I saw. For whatever reason, ever since then it's been a bit hit-or-miss for me.

Fantastic year, thing is there are so many other great years to pick from for me. 1980, 87, 89 through about 93, 2000, 2003... it's just impossible to say really.

It is close to me. As far as innovation goes, I think two years stick out in my mind- 91 and 93. Both Star shows were way ahead of there time. I love both years equally, but to me there is no question- 1991 was the best!!

Star- Sops in opening sound like mellos- serious notes and ridiculous drill.

Cavies- Brought so much emotion and creativity to a concept (dark Christmas themes) that I'd love to try in some way with my students.

Phantom- Opera show is my favorite of all time. Watching the ending makes me tear up every time.

SCV- Who would've ever thought Miss Saigon would have been so theatrically mastered on a football field??

BD- For most people a very obscure show. For me?? One of my favorite BD shows of all time. I like the fact that they went kinda out there and took a chance.

Cadets- Loved Short Ride, but the show was one of the only dissapointments that year.

Of course what also made '91 the best was that it was the first year ever that BK made DCI finals. After missing it the year before and watching Dutch Boy celebrate getting in. (12th place) That same group of pioneering young men and women perservered in '91 and firmly planted themselves in finals!!! A trend that after has only seen BK miss finals 4 times between '91-'07. Cool stuff!!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98