The Academy: Will they make finals?

The Academy: Hype for Legit?  

320 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Academy make finals?

• Yes
    • No

Honestly Magic 02 was a Div 2 corps in name only

No question, I was on tour that year - and it was almost laughible seeing those guys at the div 2/3 focus shows. They knew they didn't belong there, and everyone else was aware of it as well (the 99 at finals kind of showed that).

As for Academy, the scores they get are only as valuable as the spreads they indicate. At present, they haven't had a show head-to-head against a div 1 finalist caliber corps in an insanely long period of time. No offense to Pac Crest, but they aren't exactly a reliable measuring tool, and even if they were - Academy only beat them by about 4 points. Hype it all you want, people were saying SCV would be winning it all by now, just be patient for once and see how they actually fair.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be surprised if the academy makes finals this year based on what I have seen in rehearsals. I know that sounds bad but it really isn't. It's just that they are slowly maturing from a staff and corp member perspective. the rehearsals are focused but not intense enough for me. Again this is my taste but I think in order to get into the top twelve they need to pay attention to detail especially when they have all this time to practice. I found myself wanting to say something when I kept seeing the same person make the same marching mistake over and over and over...

Again I am not knocking the corp or staff as I think this is strategic development and/or a lack of staff in this area...

Does an anecdote count as official information?

In '93, Northern Aurora only had 88 or 89 members in the corps, even though we were touring as an open class corps. So at some show (It might have been DCM, or it might have just been some cornfield show) we were told that there was going to be our official count, so we threw uniforms on a couple of young kids and stod them in the end-zone for that one show.

In '94 we only had aroud 85 and still placed 21st at quarterfinals and gained DCI membership

Hey Academy!

Forget what everyone says.

The Parents and Alums are proud of you and what your doing. Keep doing what The Academy does best, make that crowd stand up. No matter what you place we are always proud of you.

Forever Red...

Edited by JazzBari

After hearing and seeing Academy this weekend, there is no doubt in my mind they will be a finalist come August.

Do they have work to do - Yes, but they've also taken the approach that allows them to be successful, so expect them to perform on Saturday evening!

Anyone who voted no on this obviously hasn't seen them.

They play LOUD and powerful, and have fantastic tone quality. Their drill is great too, and their execution will continue to ride until finals.

I know you've heard it before, but THESE GUYS ARE FOR REAL!!

In '94 we only had aroud 85 and still placed 21st at quarterfinals and gained DCI membership

And that's what we did in '92. My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that in order to tour in '93 and get DCI membership money, we needed to be at/over 90.

I really feel that when all the other Corps get out to the west, and their scores get as inflated as Academy's you will all see that they will land about 14th. Still a great place for a first year Div 1 corps.

PS- Randy are you Matt's Brother?

I really feel that when all the other Corps get out to the west, and their scores get as inflated as Academy's you will all see that they will land about 14th. Still a great place for a first year Div 1 corps.

PS- Randy are you Matt's Brother?

Of course he is ... they're twins!

Whaa Whaa I can't spend the $ on travel, give me a break, let me go home for weeks and practice. No injuries, no burnout etc. BUT then let me in for the finish.

News Flash, can't do a DIv I tour, stay in Div 2 until you can do the deal. It's that simple.

Call me silly - but wouldn't no injuries and burnout be good for the activity???