320 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Academy make finals?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beg to differ .. but yes there was. It was officially Class A but was often referred to as A-90. I was a member of one of those corps for 3 years. To my knowledge, there was a never a FULL size Div2 corps until it was renamed DIV 2 and the rules were changed. Anyone have the official information on this? Links?

Does an anecdote count as official information?

In '93, Northern Aurora only had 88 or 89 members in the corps, even though we were touring as an open class corps. So at some show (It might have been DCM, or it might have just been some cornfield show) we were told that there was going to be our official count, so we threw uniforms on a couple of young kids and stod them in the end-zone for that one show.

I agree they will make finals. I think a better poll would be, will Blue Stars return to finals, after how many years of not being in D1 finals? I think BS can grab a spot, and I really hope they do.

Honestly Magic 02 was a Div 2 corps in name only

True, and the fact is, DCI's constant rules changes created the situation to begin with. The end result was yet ANOTHER rule change to ensure it didn't happen again. I know someone said is was the decision of the Div 2/3 directors ..... ok then ... show of hands ... who voted for it?

My bet is that the rule change was pretty much forced on the DIV 2/3 directors and that argument is the end result of SPIN CONTROL. It benefits DIV 1 way to much to think otherwise.

Hate to start something....

but,

maybe more corps should do a limited tour.

whats wrong with saving money??

I bet if Cadet, BD and the others had a choice to stay home practice and save money .. hmmm... I wonder what they would pic???

do you really think, as much as I do respect the judging enviroment, that guys like Wayne Dowey, Gino, Tom Augnst and the others don't really know what fix?? ( lttle voice says... "bet they do!")

the way I see it...

AT 3$ PLUS PER GALLON.... seems to me that Academy and the others are onto something.

Seems silly to me the the BD and the other CA crops should have to go all the way across country and back... seems like makes the most send to meet in the middle from time to time... save everyone $$$$$$

then... might see more corps???

I am sure that I am not seeing the whole picture.... but maybe the whole picture needs to change?

I think Academy is cool... and I appreciate them.

True, and the fact is, DCI's constant rules changes created the situation to begin with. The end result was yet ANOTHER rule change to ensure it didn't happen again. I know someone said is was the decision of the Div 2/3 directors ..... ok then ... show of hands ... who voted for it?

My bet is that the rule change was pretty much forced on the DIV 2/3 directors and that argument is the end result of SPIN CONTROL. It benefits DIV 1 way to much to think otherwise.

Obviously, enough of them voted on it to pass.

The fact is ... for nearly 2 decades the top "X" number of Div 2/3 (A-60/A-90) corps qualified to advance to the Open Class prelims (what ever you would like to call it .. Quarters ... prelims .. whatever).

Does this happen anymore? NO! WHy? Thank Magic in 2002!! :lol: It made it a better story for the fan$ to see a Div 2 corps make DIV 1 FINALS!!!! Nobody cried. It was all back slaps and atta boy's (except for the div 1 corps management). "OH NO .. we can't let a div 2 corps that does a partial tour beat up on our div 1 MEMBER corps". Fact is, that had been going on for years (Academie Musicale/Ventures/KK/Crown just to name a few), but none of the smaller division corps had busted in to finals until Magic. They picked off plenty of 13th to 29th place corps with a handful making it in to Semis. Oh wait .. there are only 22 now.

The rule change was bad ... period. It's still bad. It will be bad until it is changed.

I have some mixed feelings about that rule change. I do miss seeing the Div II/III corps on Thursday afternoon. And, sometimes, Friday.

But the bigger issue that there is now no real difference between Div I and II, except for tour (and not even that for Mandarins and Academy.) So if you allow the top Div II corps into Quarterfinals, it's actually a disincentive for them to move up to Div I. Why not stay in Div II, collect rings each year, and make it into D I semis every so often.

Magic, as I recall, was a different story. They were mandated into D II for budgetary reasons coming off their inactive season. Presumably, the same would have applied to Troopers had there been more shows within, say, 500 miles of Casper.

So why not add some differentiators between Div I and II corps. Certainly size (maybe down to 100), but also perhaps setting an age limit lower than Div I, or budgetary limits, whatever.

Hate to start something....

but,

maybe more corps should do a limited tour.

whats wrong with saving money??

I bet if Cadet, BD and the others had a choice to stay home practice and save money .. hmmm... I wonder what they would pic???

do you really think, as much as I do respect the judging enviroment, that guys like Wayne Dowey, Gino, Tom Augnst and the others don't really know what fix?? ( lttle voice says... "bet they do!")

the way I see it...

AT 3$ PLUS PER GALLON.... seems to me that Academy and the others are onto something.

Seems silly to me the the BD and the other CA crops should have to go all the way across country and back... seems like makes the most send to meet in the middle from time to time... save everyone $$$$$$

then... might see more corps???

I am sure that I am not seeing the whole picture.... but maybe the whole picture needs to change?

I think Academy is cool... and I appreciate them.

Fully agree.

Making smart financial decisions should be at the top of the corps' minds.

How many corps have folded/gone inactive because of financial problems in the last 10-15 years?

Fully agree.

Making smart financial decisions should be at the top of the corps' minds.

How many corps have folded/gone inactive because of financial problems in the last 10-15 years?

Enough for Academy's management to learn from their mistakes and so far avoid them.....which, of course, flies in the face of drum corps tradition.

I have some mixed feelings about that rule change. I do miss seeing the Div II/III corps on Thursday afternoon. And, sometimes, Friday.

But the bigger issue that there is now no real difference between Div I and II, except for tour (and not even that for Mandarins and Academy.) So if you allow the top Div II corps into Quarterfinals, it's actually a disincentive for them to move up to Div I. Why not stay in Div II, collect rings each year, and make it into D I semis every so often.

Magic, as I recall, was a different story. They were mandated into D II for budgetary reasons coming off their inactive season. Presumably, the same would have applied to Troopers had there been more shows within, say, 500 miles of Casper.

So why not add some differentiators between Div I and II corps. Certainly size (maybe down to 100), but also perhaps setting an age limit lower than Div I, or budgetary limits, whatever.

Good suggestions, but the age limit I would have a problem with.

If I start marching with The Undertakers from Tombstone AZ (Div 2) when I'm 14 and get forced out when I'm 19 ... where will I go? I just put 5 years of my life into this corps that is 100 members strong and has won 3 Div 2 titles. I don't want to go anywhere else ... but if they don't move up to Div 1 .... I have to leave? Sounds like a rough scenario.

The landscape of drumcorps was much different when it came to Div 2/3 and Regional DIv 1 corps (even full blown Div 1 corps) when they had regional circuits that provided 15-20 shows in the first month of competition. It was also different in the respect that all Divisions were represented at regional circuit shows. Most went head to head on the same sheets until the DCI tour started in mid July. It made it alot easier to swallow when a Div2/3 corps passed up a Div 1 in Quarters when they had already met head to head several times in June and early July. But that was then ... and this is the Landscape DCI has created.