The Academy: Will they make finals?

The Academy: Hype for Legit?  

320 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Academy make finals?

• Yes
    • No

Can all Academy making finals and partial tour strings be blocked? I never thoght I would miss the days when we all fought about Goerge Hopkins and Naration/Amps.

Maybe I am becoming a DCP traditionalist.

I miss the old ways we used to do it!!!!!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no need to block any of the threads. There's not even "DRAMA" going on here. A few people have strong feelings about the touring model and Academy is the whippin' boy because of it. No need for anyone to get upset over another's opinions........it's a discussion forum .. that's what we do here :).

All the corps are out there doing their best to create the best product they can for the fans to enjoy. They'll all meet up head to head in short order and the chips will fall where they may. I highly doubt 10 years from now, some schlep will be crying about Academy making finals on a limited tour. Heck, they'll probably have won their first title by then. AZ Academy has been nothing less than CLASSY on all fronts. They run a world class drum corps with high quality PEOPLE in their leadership and membership. Rules are rules and AA is playing by them ............. THE END!

12 Glassmen 77.90

----------------------------

13 Spirit from JSU 76.90

14 Pacific Crest 75.65

15 Mandarins 75.13

16 Blue Stars 74.85

17 Crossmen 74.30

----------------------------

18 Madison Scouts 73.80

They are currently ranked higher than Blue Stars, Xmen, and Madison. I'd say yes.

If anything, I'd say Crossmen and Madison are out of it. Who knows though.

Until they are at the same show there is no "ranking" them at all in comparison to Blue Stars, Xmen, and Madison.

Good suggestions, but the age limit I would have a problem with.

If I start marching with The Undertakers from Tombstone AZ (Div 2) when I'm 14 and get forced out when I'm 19 ... where will I go? I just put 5 years of my life into this corps that is 100 members strong and has won 3 Div 2 titles. I don't want to go anywhere else ... but if they don't move up to Div 1 .... I have to leave? Sounds like a rough scenario.

Well, really, it's not much different than when you're aging out at 21/22. Or going from high school to college. You have to leave sometime. And there are more than a few people who march Div I only during their age-out year.

Still your point is well taken. I just threw age limits out there as one possible differentiator. And that was the point: there NEEDS to be something which differentiates a Div I from a II corps.

Edited by Phillygwm

AND?

Sorry Cascades, Blue Knights, Madison Scouts, Colts, Carolina Crown, Cap Reg, Southwind, Mandarins, Kavaliers,Troopers and Pioneer! You were all bested by a lowly DIV 2 corps in 2002.

</sarcasm>

Sadly, 2 of them are no longer with us. Thankfully, some of the corps mentioned above have made strides to ensure a situation like that wouldn't happen again (if the rules were changed back). I've said it 1000 times already, "If a DIV 2 corps beats a Div 1 corps ...... TO BAD.....they were better... get over it".

Uh Capital Regiment was also Division II in 2002 - so they bested some div I corps as well by finishing 17th.

<double post>

I think the Acadamy model is one all corps should go to. It only makes fiscal sense and is more aligned with the commitment level most kids are able to give. Do 10 or less shows within several 100 miles of your home in your geographical region, get in alot of quality practice time, perfect your show and then compete at nationals.

I think the Acadamy model is one all corps should go to. It only makes fiscal sense and is more aligned with the commitment level most kids are able to give. Do 10 or less shows within several 100 miles of your home in your geographical region, get in alot of quality practice time, perfect your show and then compete at nationals.

Sorry, but I don't agree at all...If every corps went to this model, DCI would be dead within 10 years..