The Academy: Will they make finals?

The Academy: Hype for Legit?  

320 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Academy make finals?

• Yes
    • No

I'm not sure if this was directed towards me, so I'll repsond anyways..I think what Acedemy is doing is VERY smart as I mentioned that in my first post..This is a good model for any Div II corps making the move to Div I..I was just replying to the "all corps" should do this comment..And I have nothing aginst there being a regional schedule either because you could still have a full tour if the regional schedule was set up that way..Even when it was regional based, 10-15 years ago most Div I corps still actually did around 25-30 shows before Nats..

Good point. But maybe AA would have done 25-30 shows if there were 25-30 out their way -- i.e., in their regional tour. Part of the problem is that because MOST corps do national tours, there aren't enough corps left in any one part of the country to sustain a "full" regional tour. The way the tour (for the most part) goes from one side of the country to the other makes it difficult to sustain a regional tour over the course of the 8 weeks. Back in the DCM. etc days, most corps were regionally based for a bigger part of the season, so corps that couldn't do a national tour always still had enough shows regionally at their disposal. Not the case anymore, so AA is left with less opportunities to compete with Div I opponents with the regional model they've chosen.

(Edited for clarification)

Edited by Liam

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at their latest scores and my biggest concern is that their music rep and music performance are both at 7.90. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that show that they are going to start out-performing their show real soon because don't you want your rep to always be higher than performance.

I was looking at their latest scores and my biggest concern is that their music rep and music performance are both at 7.90. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that show that they are going to start out-performing their show real soon because don't you want your rep to always be higher than performance.

If you look at the majority of BD's recaps ... their REP has been lower than PERFORMANCE across the boards. It's not hurting them any, that's for sure. Not yet anyway. Typically, if both scores are close to being the same, they will both improve together. If a corps is notably higher in performance execution but has a rep that is lacking, it really won't show unless they are approaching or AT Box 5 levels. Historically, a corps with Higher REP scores than PERFormance scores has a better shot of maxing out the show come finals time. I know that all sounds confusing, but it really does make sense. As it pertains to Academy, the numbers should grow together. You can't get credit for rep when the show isn't pristine yet.

Quick breakdown:

Top Tier corps:

High REP / Lower PERF = a show that can be maxed out

Lower REP / High PERF = a show that could stumble by finals

Mid Tier corps:

Same as above with one addition

REP and PERF are close to the same = Execute your book better and both numbers will rise

Any variances in REP and PERF will start to show up if and when that corps reaches the 85-90 pt marks.

Crossmens show is a rare one. They have typically been high in REP and lower in PERF while maintaining a MID to LOWER tier status to this point. I don't think the show was written over their heads, but the performers have definitely been challenged with a HIGH LEVEL design. They are creeping up the ladder in performance which will cause some fluctuation in REP scores as they improve (I know that's hard to grasp ... but that's how it rolls). Most corps in the mid to lower tier will hit a plateau in scoring for a couple of weeks in early to mid July. I think we are seeing some of that now. What I have just laid out is the best explanation as to why it happens. You clean up ... but individual errors cost you more. You execute better which starts to show off your design flaws. I know hovering stinks and is frustrating ... but it really does make sense. Madison, Crossmen, Blue Stars, even Colts are starting to experience this hover mode. Madison was stuck from the getgo.

Hope that all helps.

Edited by supersop

lol ... I think I even baffled myself with that last post. Maybe it needs more clarification based on Scoring/Box Levels. I'll try and stick strictly to Academy this time.

Academy has had a limited number of reads at this point. We all know that. For those of us who have seen the show and last years show, I think we can all agree that the design staff programs SMARTLY. There is more than enough sizzle in the brass book to make them competitive. Same goes for the drumline. The visual package typically offers a fluid progression of design process without being OVERLY complicated. They mix in the demand at the appropriate time without having to run constantly (this being the difference between them and the top 7 corps .. and the corps below them with shows that are overwritten and suffer in performance due to excessive demand). The point is, they wrote the show with a healthy mix of everything while constantly keeping the performance level of their talent in mind.

At this point, it makes sense that the PERF and REP scores are about the same. When they reach the high Box 4/Box 5 PERF levels consistantly, they will get some CLEAR feedback on their REP. If the corps starts to outperform the REP, they will have the opportunity to spice things up a bit. IMO, there isn't much to fix/change. The show has a healthy mix of achievable design and upper tessitura demand. There are also some nice visual moments that are motif based with definite completions of thought.

IMO again, this show was designed to give them a shot at finals and is by no means a top 5-7 show. That wasn't the idea when it was written and that's obvious. Again ... SMART! All in all, it's a logical progression to the Academy game plan. Back on point, when the corps reaches the lower/mid 80's, design flaws/individual errors will really stick out. In that situation the Rep score may well fall below the Perf scores or both scores could hover equally. That is the critical time for any corps to focus first on getting pristine clean in order to get over the hump.

Since the corps started OVER the 70 hump, I didn't forsee them being stranded there for 3 weeks as some corps will experience when approaching the 70 mark. You'll find this all correlates to the Box scoring system as well. 70's is approaching or at Box 4 ... 85 and up is box 5.

Hope that helps .......... more :)

How about this idea:

DCI sets a minimal amount of shows (or particular shows) a division 1 corps must participate in to make them elgiable for participation at nationals. If they can not make this commitment due to finances etc... get out there, find sponsors, raise money at bake sales etc.. until you can. This way each corps participates on a level touring playing field.

Unfortunately, that's not feasible unless you have enough shows for those out in the boonies (Cascades, for example) that are close enough to make without laying a huge financial burden on the corps.

It's easy enough to SAY "work hard and raise money" but it's a lot more difficult in practice.

Better, perhaps, to go back to a version of the old regional touring-then national days as some others have suggested.

They may not be as clean as the others, but the Academy's show is the most ENTERTAINING Div 1 corps that i've seen this year. and i've seen 4 of the top 5 right now. they are also the only one that i've seen get THREE....THREE standing ovations in the same show.

i would gladly honk for the Academy

Unfortunately, that's not feasible unless you have enough shows for those out in the boonies (Cascades, for example) that are close enough to make without laying a huge financial burden on the corps.

It's easy enough to SAY "work hard and raise money" but it's a lot more difficult in practice.

Better, perhaps, to go back to a version of the old regional touring-then national days as some others have suggested.

Unless, of course, mileage is taken into account as part of a overall touring/preformance formula.

How about this idea:

DCI sets a minimal amount of shows (or particular shows) a division 1 corps must participate in to make them elgiable for participation at nationals. If they can not make this commitment due to finances etc... get out there, find sponsors, raise money at bake sales etc.. until you can. This way each corps participates on a level touring playing field.

DCI already did that several years back in the "regional division I" days. Corps were required to do ten shows to be eligible for championships. Academy has 12 on their schedule prior to championship week, so even if "regional division I" still existed, they'd qualify.

Unless, of course, mileage is taken into account as part of a overall touring/preformance formula.
This sort of thing just shows how wacky the whole discussion is. There is no competative equality in drum corps, and it is not going to be achieved with a slide rule either. It's never been "fair" and it won't be in the future. In terms of scoring and placements, all that matters is what the corps can do on the field, and that is how it should be.

Now, with finals being in Indiana for 10 years, this may give some eastern corps a chance to operate cheaply if they choose. Maybe we can see some growth there. The fact that most of the growth over the past decade has come from the western most part of the country is really quite extraordinary.

For those complaining about the number of shows, consider this:

Why do we do drum corps? For many of us, the answer it to perform. Now, I totally agree that AA is taking the high road and doing some very smart things. However, this is not a strategy that they can use in the long run. My theory is that if the corps meant to use this method for any significant amount of time, that many members would eventually get tirred of working so hard and not having any shows. I don't know about everyone else - but even 4-5 rehearsal days without a show seemed like forever, I couldn't imagine going a full month. To me, at least, seeing myself on the finals dvd wouldn't be worth giving up the experience of life on the road ("real drum corps").

Well, that's my thought. Eventually members would move on to corps where they had more performance opportunities, even if it meant they wouldn't be as competitively successful.