The Academy: Will they make finals?

The Academy: Hype for Legit?  

320 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Academy make finals?

• Yes
    • No

Sorry, but I don't agree at all...If every corps went to this model, DCI would be dead within 10 years..

What is to prevent corps from not doing just this. Store up funds, buy the best staff, equipment etc...and then knock off corps who have committed financially and emotionally to a full tour. All is fair in the name of financilal responsibiliy and competition.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 Glassmen 77.90

----------------------------

13 Spirit from JSU 76.90

14 Pacific Crest 75.65

15 Mandarins 75.13

16 Blue Stars 74.85

17 Crossmen 74.30

----------------------------

18 Madison Scouts 73.80

They are currently ranked higher than Blue Stars, Xmen, and Madison. I'd say yes.

If anything, I'd say Crossmen and Madison are out of it. Who knows though.

Until they are at the same show there is no "ranking" them at all in comparison to Blue Stars, Xmen, and Madison.

Pacific Crest going 5-0 against the Madison Scouts and scoring as close as four tenths behind Spirit counts not at all because . . . because . . . Well, this is certainly no time to let actual scores get in the way of good old fashioned anti-West bias and hatred. Edited by VKMello84

What is to prevent corps from not doing just this. Store up funds, buy the best staff, equipment etc...and then knock off corps who have committed financially and emotionally to a full tour. All is fair in the name of financilal responsibiliy and competition.

How do you think DCI makes money?? It's not by EVERY corps staying home just doing a few area shows...This may be a good model for Div II corps who move up to Div I, but not for all Div I corps..That wouldn't be smart at all..

What about the corps that might go under by being forced to do a full tour.

How would that be helping DCI...... :rolleyes:

Still don't understand how not doing shows is an advantage. To improve their scores corps would want to compete to get judges feedback.

What about the corps that might go under by being forced to do a full tour.

How would that be helping DCI...... :rolleyes:

Still don't understand how not doing shows is an advantage. To improve their scores corps would want to compete to get judges feedback.

The advantage is in how much money and time you save by not traveling to shows, the riggor and emotional wear and tear of traveling night after night, the time that travel takes away from practice time.(especially if there is a breakdown) Many corps know what they have to do to make their shows better, they simply run our of time and emotional energy to do so due to the riggors of touring.

Many corps know what they have to do to make their shows better, they simply run our of time and emotional energy to do so due to the riggors of touring.

Then the difference between the old 'tic' system and today is bigger than I thought. Back then judges sheets and comments were used to both clean up "ticcy" areas and parts of the show that were not coming across. In the later it was a case of what staff imagined and what the judges saw did not match. And the only way to know if it matched was to run the show and (hopefully) have a chance to tweak or rewrite. (YUCK - Bringing back flashbacks of a weekend spent re-doing our second drum solo drill for the same reason.)

Sorry, but I don't agree at all...If every corps went to this model, DCI would be dead within 10 years..

Um....No. The way Academy is doing it is the same way corps used to tour back in the DCM, DCE, DCS days.

The advantage is in how much money and time you save by not traveling to shows, the riggor and emotional wear and tear of traveling night after night, the time that travel takes away from practice time.(especially if there is a breakdown) Many corps know what they have to do to make their shows better, they simply run our of time and emotional energy to do so due to the riggors of touring.

I see your point but from my experience the emotional wear and tear of rehearsing during all-days was greater than being on tour..The only time most members may feel "burned out" happens during all-days also...Most members LOVE being on tour to be honest..They don't want to be stuck rehearsing all the time with only a few shows in between...Performing shows around the country is what made tour so great! I wouldn't want it any other way..

Maybe DCI won't surivive ten years under it's current course. How do you know that the number of corps would not double in that time with a return to a regional touring focus? There were almost 450 corps when DCI was formed and about 70 now. Viewing DCI as an unqualified success I do not believe involves a very thurough analysis.

Um....No. The way Academy is doing it is the same way corps used to tour back in the DCM, DCE, DCS days.

Um....No. Even in the DCM, DCE, and DCS days, most Div I corps did a full tour..And I'm talking around 10-15 years ago..