Drum Corps Mythbusters!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait just a minute...there are gay dudes in drum corps!!??

Wait just a minute... there are STRAIGHT dudes in drum corps!!??

inconceivable.jpg

INCONCEIVABLE!!!

jk

That there are straight dudes in guard and gay dudes in the drumline..... Oh wait (inside joke)

Wait.... That's true in both cases, "WOOF".

Purple drink makes your poop turn green... Yep I have heard if for years. Any one have this happen?? Comon people we have a myht to BUST!!!

myth: Magic of Orlando's equipment truck was seized by the cops after finals in 2003.

Here's one that I don't know can be proved/debunked:

* Madison Scouts were intentionally "given" the top seed performance spot in 1988 (the year of the 'blind draw') for whatever reason. I know people who SWEAR they were on the field at the time of the draw (staff members of various corps) and saw a DCI official (can't remember names) place the No.1 seed paper slot into the hands of Madison's corps director.

This was before I was a drum corps fan, so I don't know much more than what I've heard from others, seen on video/DVD, and hear on tapes/CD's. I don't know why DCI would give Madison the top spot other than they were a sweet corps that year, and obviously a crowd favorite.

Can anyone say without a doubt either way? Can anyone else corroborate?

Madison was not "intentionally" given the top seed performance, as pointed out by someone else earlier, Garfield actually went on after Madison that night. Also, if you happen to own the 88' tapes (through 800 video express back then...), you can actually see part of the drawing process taking place (several corps are shown pulling numbers out). Just a little more info for ya...

HA I got one. The Blue Stars Stole the Americanos Poduim from Stillwater MN in 2004. The whole story is. During that show The BS were tipped off by a parent that the DOT was going to make a suprise Inspection. The Blue stars parked there buses and tailors in a parking lot across the street and proceeded to the show with out a poduim or a pit. Canos and a couple of other corps allowed BS to use the Equipment. The americanos graciously let them use there poduim. In the heat of all the buses and trailors being flaged, the podium up and disapeared. Members never recalled ever seeing it being returned. I in fact spotted (or so thought) the Podium in 2005 at the DIV II/III world championships. Any one care to solve the mystery? :o :blink: :sos:

Edited by dcf06

Purple drink makes your poop turn green... Yep I have heard if for years. Any one have this happen?? Comon people we have a myht to BUST!!!

IT SHO' DOES!

Myth......" '93 Star of Indiana's show was so advanced for their time that a lot of fans didn't appreciate their legendary greatness and they were often booed "

Fact.( 1.)...... there is no evidence that '93 Star of Indiana was booed before, during, or after any performance in 1993

Fact ( 2)...... as for " legendary greatness ", The 1993 DCI judges judged them not even the best Corps for that year( 1993 )in both the Semi's ( one set of judging panel ) and Finals ( a completely new panel of judges )...... ( no knock on Star here....fine corps )

They were absolutely booed at the Ypsilanti show. It was one of those focus shows. It was maybe not widespread, but there were lots of people around me booing which did indeed tick me off.

BTW, that show is my all time favorite show.

Jordi Vilanova

In the mid-to-late 70's there was an article in either Drum Corps News or Drum Corps World (please bring back the awesome photography of Dick Diehl!) claiming that Patty Hearst had marched with the Cabelleros under the assumed name of Congolia Duhearst. Anyone recall that one? I remember a photo attached to that article of a girl wearing a Cab uni that looked just like Patty Hearst. She was on the run at the time for a bombing and/or bank robbery. She was the daughter of the Hearst publishing family. After she was caught her dad pulled some strings and I believe she was given probation.

I believe the first women to join the Caballeros joined in the 80's