Useless DCA trivia 10 good ones

2002 was Renegades' first year competing at DCA and they made finals. While they had "fielded" a corps in years previous, I do not recal if they "competed" before, becuase frankly, I can't recall if we had any competition before that. I think in 01, when we went on the Northwest tour, we competed against Northwest Venture, and if that's the case, then technically, now, we did not even go to finals our first year on the competitive field. BUT, if the original poster was referring to your first year at DCA, then yes, we made finals our first year....So I guess clarification is needed from the OP.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A call to anyone who can confirm some trivia...I'm not sure of the answers (DCA Open Class)

5. Is there anyone out there who marched in all 3 of DCA's worst quagmires..the 1987 DCA prelims, the 1999 finals and the 2006 prelims? ( 2 of them were in Allentown )

I resemble that remark!

1987 Allentown - Steel City Ambassadors (on relatively early - field wasn't TOO bad - yet!)

1999 Allentown - Rochester Crusaders (again, on early enough that field was OK, but seeing was tough)

2006 Rochester - Empire Statesmen (worst conditions I've ever marched in - period!)

I'm sure there's a lot of us out there.

Cabs were not in the DCA for the first DCA championship...and by the way competed for quite a few years before the DCA was in existence. LOL

i humbley stand corrected. they didn't compete in 1965. they like cru became mebers in 1966. they did compete in dca shows throughout the year though. but not dca championsips :lookaround:

according to CorpsReps, Matadors last played Rocky in 1987, but Chops, Inc played it in 2001.

#10 would be a tough one - depends on what you mean by "change", as a lot of corps make some noticeable modifications

And, you'll be able to hear the Matadors play Rocky once again at DCA I&E!

2002 was Renegades' first year competing at DCA and they made finals. While they had "fielded" a corps in years previous, I do not recal if they "competed" before, becuase frankly, I can't recall if we had any competition before that. I think in 01, when we went on the Northwest tour, we competed against Northwest Venture, and if that's the case, then technically, now, we did not even go to finals our first year on the competitive field. BUT, if the original poster was referring to your first year at DCA, then yes, we made finals our first year....So I guess clarification is needed from the OP.

The same could apply to the RI Matadors. The Matadors competed in the RCA in 70 + 71.

Made DCA finals in their 1st trip in 72. Also that was the short period of time when DCA had 12

finalists not 10 as in most seasons. Why the change from 10 to 12 back to 10 again, I don't know.

Here is a year by year breakdown of number of corps that were judged in DCA finals: (open class only)

1965 6

1966-1971 10

1972-1974 12

1975-1985 10

1986 11

1987 0

1988-1991 10

1992 12

1993 13

1994-2001 10

2002 12

2003 10 plus 2 judged exhibitions

2004-present 10

Here is a year by year breakdown of number of corps that were judged in DCA finals: (open class only)

1972-1974 12

1975-1985 10

Note: Included years I was involved.....

Always wondered if the 1974 11th and 12th place corps scoring in the 40s at Finals was the reason for DCA going to 10 corps. Also there were only 15 corps at 1974 Prelims so it's not like there were a lot of corps NOT making Finals. In 1975 there were 19 corps at Prelims.

Long as we're on the subject, the 11th and 12th place corps in 1976 (Guelph and Westshoremen) were not recorded doing a field show. Soon as Prelims was over each corps trotted out to the front sideline and formed an arc. Then we played our show while the Color Guard sat in the stands and tried to sound like an audience of thousands. :P If anyone has the 1976 DCA recordings you might be able to tell the difference (like it never sounds liek the corps is going backfield. :lookaround: )

I just might know a bit about DCA... :-) let me play with this some...

1. Curt Hawkins...is he the only soloist winner to win it for 2 different corps?

how about Richie Price????

2. Anyone know who marched in the most DCA Finals as a performer (not drum major, or American Section..must be horn, drum or guard)..My bet is on Mike Ryan of the Cabs who marched in 30 straight DCA finals from 1975-2004.

Almost certainly Tom Meek... he did his first DCA in 1967 with Crusaders and is still doing DCA with Brigadiers now... Just how many championship performances????? close to 40... think he took one season off, but maybe not...

Interestingly, Cru did not join till 1967 (someone said 66)... I did my first championship in '66 with Brigs after marching the '66 season with Cru - Cru's season was over and Brigs asked me to fill the hole of my late friend George Cowburn who had left for Vietnam... I performed in 13 championships... was on Crusader's staff for 5 championships (one as M&M staff and 4 as corps director)... was a judge or chief judge at 9 championships... was on the championship show staff 12 times... and was an honored guest last year as a hall of fame inductee... I missed the first championship and one in the 90's the year that Brigs and Empire tied... but I was there in heart as my daughter was with Brigs and my son in law was with Empire and they met on the 50 yard line at retreat and enjoyed their co-championships... and called me from the field so I could be a part... 40 out of 42 ain't too bad in one capacity or another...

3. How many corps with less than 40 horns won DCA..Sunrisers come to mind..

Surely Bush must be added to the list....

4. When was the last time an all female colorguard took the field in a DCA final...was it Cabs in the mid 80's?

lol beats me but I sure remember the first one... Les Diplomats - ok old timers... how many of you were in the gym in Saratoga NY when the guys decided if they wanted to be part of DCA and dress in the same room they would get an eyefull... and I have to say, those French girls were so cool and the guys in the other corps were so ... well... RUDE... The girls WON....

5. Is there anyone out there who marched in all 3 of DCA's worst quagmires..the 1987 DCA prelims, the 1999 finals and the 2006 prelims? ( 2 of them were in Allentown )

considering the relatively narrow space of time involved... many I'm sure...

6. Speaking of Best Soloist...has anyone ever won the award on a Bb horn?

not Joey Pero... for sure

7. Is the record finals attendance the 12,000 plus at Franklin Field in 1981?

Don is right... several years at Aquinas (Holleder) Stadium recorded huge paid audiences, but of course the cost of admission was very low... 1996 was 9600 which was the largest crowd of the "modern" era...

8. How many DCA corps made open class finals in their first year of field competition...

I'll let you guys figure this one out...

9. Statesmen are playing Rocky in their 2007 show. Has it been over 20 years since we heard Rocky in a DCA competition? Matadors come to mind..

Just watched a video of matadors doing rocky... never realized just how good they were...

10. What active DCA open class corps has changed their uniform the most times since the 1965 DCA inaugural season

Whoever said Cru has to be right... we made a habit out of it... but I was partial to the '65 uni with the sequins and gestapo hats... Who remembers the Red Pajamas? They were awful...

This is fun... thanks for letting me play

Now let me play... here's a good DCA trivia... What judge played a MAJOR part in determining the champion one year even though his score did not count in the final tally... (not including chief judge penalties)?

To test your trivial knowledge you may go to http://corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=quiz

3. Surely Bush must be added to the list....

- - - -

10. Whoever said Cru has to be right...

- - - -

This is fun... thanks for letting me play

hey Uncle Tom?? for a relative youngin' by comparison i didn't do too bad!!! :P