• Blue Knights
    • Mandarins
    • Spirit
    • Colts
    • Pacific Crest
    • Southwind
    • Pioneer
    • Academy

Okay, you can vote for your "favorite," but feel free to post your top 3 list...maybe a little explanation of why they appeal to you.

For me, it's as follows:

3: Crown--love the dynamics and the melody is really very nice

2: BK--Again, very musical...I call the section "Danse Macabre."

1. BD--I wasn't in love with this the first time I heard it, but now they're performing the heck out of it. Very nice chord progression and transition to a major chord, setting up the great music/theme in the closer.

1. Regiment: too fast, but still pretty sweet. I wish they'd slow it down, just a little.

2. Crown: Just a great follow up to the style of the 2004/2005 ballads. The rest of the show boosts my opinion of this one considerably.

3. BK: the ballad is about the only section of the show I can "buy into" right now....but it's certainly well-done.

Interesting, I picked Spirit without even giving it a thought and after voting, I see that I'm definitely not the only one who did that. A little surprised that so many people agree -- pleasantly surprised that is.

I voted for spirit, saw them last week and loved the ballad. I love the song to begin with, but I loved how they staged the whole number. The upbeat tempo kept by the percussion combined with the slow feel of the song from the horns has just an amazing feel and sound. :)

I had to say the Blue Devils which for some reason doesn't seem to be a big hit on this board. Phantom Regiment is in a very close second, but I can't get enough of the chord structures BD plays as the sound gets louder and louder and closer to a resolution! Absolutely beautiful, dark and tormented sounds don't ya guys think? The opening two pieces are amazing as well but I still do not like the closing piece at all...sounds too bandish... :worthy:

Agree / disagree?

I voted for Phantom becasue I just loved that arrangement and thought it was played very very well.

Honarable mention goes to Crown, Blue Stars and Cascades. I thought Cascades had a very nice and very well executed ballad when I saw their show in Atlanta.

I had to say the Blue Devils which for some reason doesn't seem to be a big hit on this board. Phantom Regiment is in a very close second, but I can't get enough of the chord structures BD plays as the sound gets louder and louder and closer to a resolution! Absolutely beautiful, dark and tormented sounds don't ya guys think?

Agree / disagree?

Well put. That pretty much sums up why I put their ballad as my number 1. :)

I really like Spirit's ballad, too.

Spirit's ballad is fantastic, in my opinion. I love high brass in a ballad, and when they go backfield ... ooooooh goosebumps.

I also love Crown's ballad as well, definetly has the "Angel" feel to it from 2005.

For me, Spirit's is the one that stands out this year, head and shoulders above everyone else - the percussive groove they give it really makes the piece, and gives it such a unique and bright feel.

My honorable mentions would be the Blue Devils (just a gorgeous, refined sound, if a little short) and ... well... there's not a third for me this year yet. I still have to really sit and listen to a few corps, though.

Mike