Renegades 2007

Hello everyone. For whatever reason, I'm going to ramble on here a bit about the San Francisco Renegades.

If you don't want to read this, cool beans. Feel free to jump to the latest boo-yah thread or whatever.

Still here? Okay. On with the show.

THE STORY.

Throughout most of the 2007 season, fans and critics alike have noted that our corps is somewhat smaller than it has been in the past. Much, much cleaner, much better ... but a little smaller.

In many ways, this season has been one big surprise after another.

One of these surprising developments that you will probably notice at DCA is that there has been a sudden and dramatic shift in the demographics of the Renegades. By our estimation, the average age of the corps has suddenly dropped somewhere between 8-10 years. Why? We have absolutely no idea. Recruiting more young people into the corps was a Genius idea ... but we didn't think of it. It just happened. There has also been a random influx of very talented women into the soprano line. Why, I dunno ... we didn't think of that either.

It all mysteriously happened, in true Renegades 7-fashion.

I also happy to report that over the last few weeks, there has been an incredible surge in the Renegades' horn line, including many returning vets. I am as surprised as anyone that the 2007 Renegades is no longer a smaller drum corps than it has been in the past. In fact, the corps is now larger than it was last year. We have NINE contras jamming out the notes in Jazz Police. Which is crazy. Crazier yet, our newest assistant drum major flew to rehearsal last weekend from New York. His name is Mongo, aka Scott, and he is also the drum major of the New York Skyliners. We are very proud to have a Skyliner in our midst this season. So proud, in fact, that five more Skyliners have joined our honorguard for DCA, and one of them will be carrying a flag that I hope will never leave DCA competition. We also got a guy in the baritone line named Stephen Proud, who we are also proud of. But I don't think he was ever in the Skyliners -- but he was the Mayor of Treasure Island. Ahhhhh ... but I digress.

Suffice it to say, DCA fans can look forward to a very entertaining, intense and Evil Renegades appearance at the 2007 DCA Championships. All 7 coffins and props are finally in the show, the holes are filled, and win lose or draw -- the best corps that we ever had will be running on all cylinders by Labor Day Weekend.

After a very difficult 2006 season, it has been incredible to watch our 2007 corps morph into something entirely different, but very much the same, as it has ever been.

Truth be told, I came into the 2007 season, and this summer, expecting that this would be my last year of drum corps. In fact, I was ready to retire after the 2006 season. Frankly, the difficult 2006 season of zero drum line until June, coupled with intense hostility between the DCA corps was getting to me, and I was ready to pack it in. But then, at the very end of that very tough 2006 season, an angry woman emailed me and literally told me that the Renegades were going to fold after the season, and it was all my (and Chris Nalls') fault.

That was the Moment of Truth for me ... and all I needed to hear.

Bada-boom bada bing, a guy who thrives on being kicked when he is down and out and being told he cannot do something ... stood up ... brushed the blood off ... and dove into Renegades 2007 ... via a creative meeting in Los Angeles with my friends Chris Nalls, Greg Gilman, and Mike Nash ... a Renegades founding member who we borrowed/stole from SoCal Dream for the evening to help plan our 2007 show. I know it sounds odd that we would have the first design meeting of the year with the President of our competitor, but that's how Dream and Renegades work. Drum Corps United. Which is the name of our alliance. More on that soon. Back to the story --

As with any drum corps season, there have been many trying moments, some more than others, even recently. But above all, the 2007 members have rejuvinated my faith in the Renegades and drum corps in general.

Back in March, I saw a glimmer in the eyes of the corps members, when we had 20 horns and 3 snare drummer at rehearsal. I told them I had a funny feeling that this was going to be the best corps we ever had. I couldn't explain why I felt that way, I just did. About half of my pals laughed, and looked at me like I had lost my mind. No one laughs at that anymore.

After giving this a great deal of thought, and even surprising myself, I have decided to return to the Renegades for the 2008 season, with the mission of continuing the amazing transformation that our corps is undergoing.

It is my profound belief that if this pace of improvement and intense dedication of the members continues, the Renegades will one day be the best senior corps in on Earth, and can one day help bring drum corps into the mainstream public's awareness. At the very least, something amazing is happening to the Renegades, the likes of which I have never seen, and I would not miss the opportunity to be part of it for the world.

We'll see where this journey goes...

Okay Cats. This concludes my rambling. Thanks for listening.

Be safe, and we'll see you in person in a few weeks.

Lee Rudnicki

Renegades (1999-Present); Founder, Anthrax Ripple; Kinda-sorta DCA Public Enemy #1 (2002-Present); alleged lawy-uh (98-Present); guy who single-handely enraged the entire rudimental snare drumming community (2006); Crunchy Frog (2003-05); Antagonist of Ryan Cox, Catherine Burr and Dan Herd (2001-Present); Writer of a really annoying nonsensical blog 7 (2003-Present); MBI, Grennies, Hurcs, Skyliners, Cru, Bucs, SoCal Dream etc. fan (always); DCP Moderator (never); this space for rent; someone please rescue the Crossmen from Texas; the end.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock on Renegades! Due to a crazy work schedule I just could not devote the time to the Renegades this year. But to keep a bit of Evil flowing I joined the Minicorps. Fully expecting a big push to be recruited within the big corps in season 2.0, I was surpised last Monday as I was told, the soprano line is full! Can't wait to see the renegades under the lights at dusk. Rochester will be rubble at dawn!

Edited by dugada

If there ever was a sign that all things are going right for the Renegades is that some how Rich Skare's contra was transformed into .....a real looking contra...instead of something that look like a WWII plane wreck.

Rock On in Rochester ..... take no survivors..plunder and pillage. ^0^

Ben

:worthy: at the really long signature

Its really true...We turned a major corner this weekend, and im proud to be a member of the 2007 Renegades.