IF Cadets win - I am a bit worried about the reaction

Does it really matter how the fans react?

George and his design team have been quite clear that they really don't care what the fans think.

Translation...they don't care what you and other DCP nay-sayers think, therefore they don't care what 'the fans' think.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Translation...they don't care what you and other DCP nay-sayers think, therefore they don't care what 'the fans' think.

LOL.

They don't care what anyone thinks unless they wear a green polo shirt, just like about every other corps.

Mike, I like you. I always find your posts to be well thought out and on many occassions, thought provoking.

However, dismiissing fan opinion perpetuates the "Elitist" attitude that causes people to flame on you, and the Cadets.

Fans buy the tickets, provide financial support for the corps in donations, and buy the t-shirts and other souvies that help support your corps, and every other corps out there.

Cut the "fans" some slack.

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

Does it really matter how the fans react?

George and his design team have been quite clear that they really don't care what the fans think.

This is, for lack of a nicer way of saying it, 100% false. It is not a matter of 'who' the fans are, and whether they are well represented on DCP - I'm willing to admit that plenty of non-dcp types dislike narration, however, george is still very interested in pleasing the fans. I think he realizes that he cant please everyone however, especially given his particular vision, so he designs shows that push things, but still garner response. As far as I can tell, this show has gotten the cadets their best crowd respsonses since 2003 (pre amp :blink: ) or earlier. From reading hopsblog, and talking to people in the corps, the response in the northwest the past couple days has been overwhelming to the point where they can hardly hear themselves during the show.

The bare bones fact is - some shows garner more applause based on music selections, arrangments, and the way the GE is designed. Cadets 2005 - designed like star 93, as in minimal impact points. Cadets 2007 - a much more traditional show with regard to GE. The same comparisons could be made between BK and Crown this year. Crown will likely get an ovation several times as loud as BK, but's its not because they're several times better, it's because their show was just designed to ellicit that response while BK was not. Sometimes we have to step back and realize that there are more reasons people respond to a show than the use, or lack, of narration.

A few years ago GH had said that "It's all for the kids" and the placings and/or what the audience thought meant nothing compared to the "kids experience".

Someone can either correct what I read or what has changed in Georges opinion the last 3 or 4 years.

compared to the kids experience maybe....but it still matters, just like the placements. He cares more about education than anything, but he's still in it to win, and getting cheered along the way is nice too :)

This is, for lack of a nicer way of saying it, 100% false. It is not a matter of 'who' the fans are, and whether they are well represented on DCP - I'm willing to admit that plenty of non-dcp types dislike narration, however, george is still very interested in pleasing the fans. I think he realizes that he cant please everyone however, especially given his particular vision, so he designs shows that push things, but still garner response. As far as I can tell, this show has gotten the cadets their best crowd respsonses since 2003 (pre amp :blink: ) or earlier. From reading hopsblog, and talking to people in the corps, the response in the northwest the past couple days has been overwhelming to the point where they can hardly hear themselves during the show.

The bare bones fact is - some shows garner more applause based on music selections, arrangments, and the way the GE is designed. Cadets 2005 - designed like star 93, as in minimal impact points. Cadets 2007 - a much more traditional show with regard to GE. The same comparisons could be made between BK and Crown this year. Crown will likely get an ovation several times as loud as BK, but's its not because they're several times better, it's because their show was just designed to ellicit that response while BK was not. Sometimes we have to step back and realize that there are more reasons people respond to a show than the use, or lack, of narration.

Ok, I came off harsher then I meant to. I understand your points.

This show does have better GE impact moments than the last few years. I did like the show better the second time I heard it than the first.

I also haven't seen the show since early in the season so am unfamiliar with the changes. While I like a lot about the show and respect the talent, I still don't care for the narration and am distracted when talked to while I'm listening to music.