The Phantom Kick: trend?

166 members have voted

1. 1. Did phantom add the wedge-kick to their closer out of desperation?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe
  2. 2. Do you think the wedge-kick is overdone?

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. Do you think Phantom will be in the top 3 this year?

• yes
    • no

I find it interesting that so many people go totally bananas over this VERY EASY move and probably would applaud even if it were done every year. Many of those same people would come on here to complain if BD did their VERY DIFFICULT and well-executed expanding and contracting boxes or if The Cadets do another VERY DIFFICULT toilet bowl drill. It just seems that people expect a lot more from the likes of The Cavies, The Cadets and BD than they do from PR when it comes to drill and visual.

Complaining about BD or Cadets doing difficult drill??? :blink: That's a new one. I agree about the leg kick being added--retro generally doesn't win--but I don't know who would complain about a good ol' anthill from Cavies or seeing some insane rotation a la the Cadets 2001 closer. Sure I'll criticize the Cadets, but over the usual stuff like amps, narration, and Hoppy, not for what they have done so well for so long. (Side note: I hear the complaints from people that BD has one too many standstills in their show this year, but when they do march, they make me laugh out loud--in a good way.)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that so many people go totally bananas over this VERY EASY move and probably would applaud even if it were done every year. Many of those same people would come on here to complain if BD did their VERY DIFFICULT and well-executed expanding and contracting boxes or if The Cadets do another VERY DIFFICULT toilet bowl drill. It just seems that people expect a lot more from the likes of The Cavies, The Cadets and BD than they do from PR when it comes to drill and visual.

There has only been a time or two where I thought the kick really fit and made musical sense. This year it really feels like it was thrown in and like they had no other ideas on how to get a big reaction at the end of the show. It's a desperate cop-out IMHO.

I don't think the point has ever been to simply show it off as a difficult move. People are way over thinking this. It's simply a signature move; a nod to the past-- one that a lot of us think looks pretty cool. I think too many people get hung up on the idea that every move, every phrase has to be difficult. Sometimes, it's the simple things in life that are the best.

1990 too...at the end of the Organ Symphony before Carnival of the Animals. They held it for a long time that year.

It's a trademark move like the Scouts fleur, the Vanguard V, etc. Kudos to them and their design team for recognizing their past instead of blowing it off to make room for their own egos.

I always thought it was an act of desperation for audible fan support during/after the show. Seemed like they waited until late season to add it, and of course after they add it they get more crowd reaction at the shows. I don't know if I think it is over done. It'd be like asking if classical music is overdone by phantom. Its just phantom...and thats just what they do. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing unexpected. Not to bash fans of phantom's style, but I feel like if I were to find a theatrical representation of phantom's fans' reaction to the show...it'd be found in the animated movie "Finding Nemo", when Nemo enters the fish tank. That little crazy fish who sits ('er swims) in front of this air-blowing treasure chest, waiting to see the inevitable bubble explotion, and is filled with excitement and suprize when he finally sees it. "Bubbles, the bubbles!! BUBBLES!!! ........."

I don't dislike the leg kick for its ease of use. There are a lot of relatively "easy" moves and sounds that can create some amazing effects. Moves and sounds that inspire the thought "Why didn't anyone think of that before?! Duh! It makes so much sense." I just wish they would do something different with the leg kick. Something cooler. Something better than the year before. In DCI now it seems like, from a year by year design progression standpoint, if you are standing still...you are moving backwards....so to speak. When phantom does things like the leg kick at the end of the show year after year...i feel they are moving backwards. I, for one, would like to see them move forward.

Edited by beavs

wow- there's been some good feedback and i'm actually pretty suprised at the result so far- i expected this to be a pro-phantom blowout on the vote but on the first question (as of right now)

30 yes + 8 maybe

35 no

not what i expected!

There has only been a time or two where I thought the kick really fit and made musical sense. This year it really feels like it was thrown in and like they had no other ideas on how to get a big reaction at the end of the show. It's a desperate cop-out IMHO.

Everyone has something of less difficulty in their show that people go crazy for. SCV leaves a spot for the VANGUARD! yell. BD has their park and blow (nearly every year). I don't feel like it's desperation for points. Let's remember that drum corps in it's purest form is for ENTERTAINMENT value, rather than Championship rings. I get upset when my corps doesn't place well, but I'm there for the entertainment, and when Phantom does their kick you know whats coming....it's getting turned to 11.

IMO Phantom will always get a great response at the end of the show as long as they emote as they always do. In 2005 there was no leg wedge and the show received a full minute standing ovation when their SCORE was announced at Finals. Brandt Crocker could barely be heard over the audience when the show was over that night.

Edited by Jonnytuba

Being angry about the leg kick, is like getting mad at the scouts for playing never walk. YOU CAN'T!!!! How can you get mad that they're throwing in some tradition? Yeah, the fans love it and all, but it's also a nostalgic thing for the members. Granted, I was in the pit, I was super stoked when we added it in 2002 at the end of the show, It's an awesome feeling for members to get to do a "move" that's got a huge history behind it, it let's them live part of the corps' history. I'd actually like it if more signature things were brought back. Whatever happened to "what-a-manuever" in the Cadets shows of the past?

Being angry about the leg kick, is like getting mad at the scouts for playing never walk. YOU CAN'T!!!! How can you get mad that they're throwing in some tradition? Yeah, the fans love it and all, but it's also a nostalgic thing for the members. Granted, I was in the pit, I was super stoked when we added it in 2002 at the end of the show, It's an awesome feeling for members to get to do a "move" that's got a huge history behind it, it let's them live part of the corps' history. I'd actually like it if more signature things were brought back. Whatever happened to "what-a-manuever" in the Cadets shows of the past?

VANGARD IS DOIN CLWNS AGAIN? OH NOS!!!!111